2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Fit, Accident Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
It seems like we've had alot of not-at-fault accident's on the forums.
its not the car, there are just a lot more idiots out there paying more attention to who they're texting or chatting with than driving.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
This is a scary thread to me.

I haven't had my new fit for even 8 weeks yet...but was just in a similar accident. At a stoplight and a girl came up behind me and hit my rear bumper.

My Fit is Crystal Black....but I've owned black vehicles before...I have a hard time thinking that has anything to do with it....

I think my damage is even less than the OP's. The bumper is going to need to be repaired as there was some superficial damage to what was a pristine and perfect bumper...but it's not bad.

What has me worried reading this thread is the what a seemingly common occurence this type of accident seems to be. I wonder why?

Could it be the size of The Fit? Does it look like it's moving when it's not?

I'm hoping this was just a fluke. I really like The Fit. But I don't feel like going through a lifetime of rear end accidents and repair...I don't know, if it happens again I might have to consider doing something.

People considering that it's so small? I don't know. First of all The Fit is a subcompact, but there are many subcompacts and small vehicles on the road. Also while "small" The Fit is also taller than most vehicles. So visually, from behind, or even the front there should be plenty to see. It's not like a Mini-Cooper, which is also small but also low profile.

As a new owner, I've used tricks to try to remember where I'm parked or how to spot my new car in a parking lot...and I've found that I can often identify it from a distance because while small...it's often taller than surrounding cars.

Anyway, I'm hoping this is all just a fluke. It would be interesting to see insurance company statistics on The Fit vs. Other hatchbacks and subcompacts as far as reported instances like this.

Seriously, I think if I got rear ended again, I'd have to consider either a modification to a more visible rear brake light and/or a very reluctant change of vehicles.

I'm half kidding, but The Fit does have sporty, kind of fluid like lines. It does look faster than it actually is, I wonder if psychologically other drivers aren't attaching that expectation to the vehicle.

I'd hate to have to trade it in on a Prius. But nobody expects them to burn rubber from a stoplight or stop sign...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
I really do think that these incidents are becoming very common due to text messaging. The only types of regular wrecks that showed up on the last forum I posted to regularly were the exact same type of thing. Rear ended for no good reason. It started showing up a few years ago.

The statistics would surely indicated this, especially since people are only allowed to look down and txt when they are at a stoplight in places like Austin. I imagine that people are not getting completely stopped before beginning to write back, or check message and are rolling into people. I just can't see how the Fit is any more or less immune to these types of incidents. Maybe Honda put a curse on them before sending them out? Really.. there is no good reason. The car is tall. If anything, the weird non-modulated brakes that don't stop the vehicle unless you stand on them could be a Fit related cause though. I've already started to brake hard at the beginning on my planned stop, and then roll up to the traffic line slowly instead of the more progressive stop I normally make. Couldn't hurt, and allows me to speed up if I see someone behind me is not paying attention.

I can't tell you how many people I witness swerving around every day because their head is cocked towards their phones. It's sickening to me. Very dangerous. At least drunk drivers are looking at the road.

I did have someone make an unbelievably aggressive move on my the other day and almost took the tire of his jacked up suburban over my hood, monster truck style. I had to floor it in reverse with a car 20 ft. behind me with my horn blaring in order to avoid it. That's just bad luck.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Would like to just say that I myself bit the dust this morning during rush hour traffic.

Wasn't texting or yapping on the phone but took a very quick glimpse at the insrument cluster. I was at the freeway going about 35 mph and the flow was stop and go. I was about 2 car lengths from the vehicle in front of me by the time I saw her Rav4 completely stopped. Slammed on the brakes and the ABS didn't even took a second to kick in and kept kicking in the entire time I was on the brakes.I thought I was going to make but no.

I'm not blaming the car or anything and I do admit that I am at fault, but I think I would have made it if the tires would have had a wider aspect ratio for example a 195 or 205 instead of 185. Anyhow it's all been said and done and the car looks really bad. Will post pictures later.

I have had a lot of close calls before also with me being not at fault. The most memorable ones are:

First, when a piece of a large thick plywood was kicked up by a truck in front of me and I had to swerve really bad to avoid it while it was raining. Car felt like it drifted for a second before I ragained control.

Second was when a 5 gallon pale of paint was sitting in the middle of the on ramp of the freeway when all of a sudden it appeared after an SUV had passed it (though the SUV did not have to swerve as the pale was on my lane). I also had to do a very quick avoidance move and again the car drifted a little.

Third and this time I wasn't so lucky, a piece that looked like a wheel assembly of a heavy duty trolly/cart was sitting in the middle of the freeway. Was not able to avoid it as I was so full from eating when me and my GF went to a cruise for Valentine's Day and was somewhat in a state of ultimate calmness if you could call it that. LOL. Hit the sucker with my RF tire. Blew the tire, got it fixed for about $130.

Fourth, I was in the middle lane of the freeway when the vehicle to my right, not trying to be sexist but is/was a woman driver, decided to switch lane when I was right beside her. Kept my hand on the horn but she still inched her way to me. Her side mirrors where about 1 to 2 inches from her. Avoided her and by the time I was able to see her face, she looked like she had no idea of what was happening.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 06-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  038c153437e6__1275918507000.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  6baa1eae90b2__1275918539000.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  7fc909f91fdb__1275918553000.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  24ab97202b39__1275918580000.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  6057efada9b6__1275918596000.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  53.4 KB

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
I think people are quite unaware of their surroundings. Just watch people walking on a crowded sidewalk or in a shopping mall. They'll crash right into you if you don't make avoidance maneuvers. I think it's a new thing where people are more and more disconnected and isolated within our modern society.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
the problem with the Honda fit is its so low to the ground, if you hit another vehicle, you have hood and radiator support damage, possible airbag damage
the front bumper is so slow compared to other vehicles. The accident claims are expensive for this car, as honda parts aren't cheap.
otherwise it's a great little car, once when small cars make the norm this should not be a problem.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
the problem with the Honda fit is its so low to the ground, if you hit another vehicle, you have hood and radiator support damage, possible airbag damage
the front bumper is so slow compared to other vehicles. The accident claims are expensive for this car, as honda parts aren't cheap.
otherwise it's a great little car, once when small cars make the norm this should not be a problem.
Yeah this could be some of the reason, which reminds me of an accident involving a BSP GE8 Fit in Maryland rear ending an old Mercury Grand Marquis. The Fit probably hit the Mercury so hard that it lifted the entire car on top of the Fit. The only thing remaining on the ground was the front wheels of the Mercury. Tried to snap a pick of it but I couldn't.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't think a Fit is an accident magnet. People drive badly nowadays and are a lot more distracted by shiny things. The Fit is very fun to drive...it almost has magical powers that make you think you're driving much better than you are. Didn't have a accident with my '08 for 6 years until I rear ended a big a** truck a month ago. My fault, I saw something shiny. My baby is totaled, the other guy got a bent trailer mount...

Old 11-08-2014, 01:49 AM
At the end of the day you can breathe lightly knowing it was just a fit..

Noone was hurt and your definitely not out big money

Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by chickentickler
I don't think a Fit is an accident magnet. People drive badly nowadays and are a lot more distracted by shiny things....
+1, In so.cal its the tards on cycles and motorcycles.