3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Civic Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Civic Loaner

I got a Civic loaner car yesterday, and I have to say that I prefer the Fit. I have an EX-L with the larger screen in the radio, and it makes a big difference with the backup camera. This mid-grade Civic didn't have the LaneWatch camera or some other features on my Fit, but that's just a difference in the model lineup. The steering is heavier, but the brakes are lighter. Of course, the gas mileage wasn't nearly as good, but I wasn't able to get an accurate reading since the tank wasn't full when I got the car. When I go back to the dealer next week, I'll be getting the same loaner, so I'll be able to get a better idea of the gas mileage. On the Fit, the MPG bar is marked 0, 45, and 90, while the Civic shows 0, 40, and 80, a slight reduction. That's the only MPG info it shows, unlike the large amount of info available on the Fit. When I got the car, the Econ Mode button wasn't pressed, so I immediately set it to get better mileage.

This is funny. When I went to fill the tank at the end of the day, I couldn't find the release for the filler door. I didn't have my reading glasses with me, so reading the tiny type in the owner's manual was difficult. Usually, loaners don't have the manual. I eventually found the answer: you push in on the filler door, and it pops open. One nice feature is the cap that doesn't have to be removed. You just insert the nozzle through the spring-loaded cap. That sounds like a nice add-on for the Fit.

The Civic felt more cumbersome than the Fit, and I couldn't say it was smoother or quieter. The stock speakers were no comparison to the aftermarket speakers I put in my Fit. I find the seats in the Fit perfect for me, but after driving the Civic all day, my back was getting sore. With the sharp slope of the rear window, the rear view mirror was almost useless.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 AM
I had a Civic loaner as well when I took my FIT in for its first oil change. One of the newer turbo models. Did not like it. The little extra pep was nice, but driving it hard it got terrible gas mileage, lol. The guided cruise freaked me out the first time it kicked in when someone moved in front of me. I would rather drive the car myself. Same for the lane departure, played with it, dont like that it nudges you back. The low room made the car hard to get into, my MR2 is better, less hip room with the giant center console and I would not subject my kids to those back seats.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Good feedback. I really don't think the new Civic is as good as the Fit, for me, but I live in Civic Nation, Canuckistan, so we all love Civics.

The new filler cap would be great for my wife. I'll consider changing it. The Fit's filler cap is held on by a piece of thin plastic? The could not have used something better, like a piece of wire, or string?

I've read that turbos are great for acceleration when you need it, but it trashes your fuel economy. With small engines like we have, you might use the turbo more than you think. A larger engine, like a 2L, might be better with turbo, if you were into power. Turbos also require more maintenance, with more moving parts.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM
The problem with a small engine and a turbo is you need the engine pinned for such a long time with the turbo fully spooled. I was able to drop the mileage lower than my 1993 MR2 under similar driving conditions.

I too had the issue of figuring out how to open the gas door, no damn pull anywhere for it, lol.

I would like to see them take something the size of the Civic and turn it into a FIT or put the 1.5 T in the FIT, lol.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
To each their own.
It's not the typical North American "American Way" but I actually LIKE smaller cars.
I like the more agile, nimble feel they return as opposed to mid-size or larger vehicles.

That being said?
The Civic Hatchback looks like a very enticing product.
I'd like to test one and see how it feels.
But then if I liked it...I'd be tempted to throw away a lot of money making a premature change.
So sometimes avoiding the temptation IS the best move.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
To each their own.
It's not the typical North American "American Way" but I actually LIKE smaller cars.
I like the more agile, nimble feel they return as opposed to mid-size or larger vehicles.

That being said?
The Civic Hatchback looks like a very enticing product.
I'd like to test one and see how it feels.
But then if I liked it...I'd be tempted to throw away a lot of money making a premature change.
So sometimes avoiding the temptation IS the best move.
I've always preferred small cars, driving the MG Midget at one time. "Midget" was the perfect name for that tiny car. It was short, low, and narrow.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Red face

Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I've always preferred small cars, driving the MG Midget at one time. "Midget" was the perfect name for that tiny car. It was short, low, and narrow.
A friend of mine's older brother had one when we were kids...it was pretty cool....obviously not a "supercar," but it was fun...and that's what matters. I Look fwd to my drive to work at the hospital, I look even more fwd to the drive home...the Fit can be a lot of fun, in the old school way, with a manual trans and a rear antisway bar ...loving my Tanabe Medalion Touring axleback as well

Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 PM
I had that fill through gas cap on the focus my fit replaced, it's nice but I don't really miss it or think about it when I fill up the fit.
On the focus forums, several people had issues with the cap not sealing reliably, throwing a warning light.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i wouldnt mind checking out da type-r when it comes out. im kinda too old for it though..

Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i wouldnt mind checking out da type-r when it comes out. im kinda too old for it though..
Dude, you're never too old ... Do what you want and give zero fucks about what others might think. Seriously. Fuck 'em.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Good feedback. I really don't think the new Civic is as good as the Fit, for me, but I live in Civic Nation, Canuckistan, so we all love Civics.

The new filler cap would be great for my wife. I'll consider changing it. The Fit's filler cap is held on by a piece of thin plastic? The could not have used something better, like a piece of wire, or string?

I've read that turbos are great for acceleration when you need it, but it trashes your fuel economy. With small engines like we have, you might use the turbo more than you think. A larger engine, like a 2L, might be better with turbo, if you were into power. Turbos also require more maintenance, with more moving parts.
There is a bracket to hold the cap inside the filler door. Years ago, Amazon had filler caps that didn't have to be removed. You just pushed the nozzle through the spring flap.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
Dude, you're never too old ... Do what you want and give zero fucks about what others might think. Seriously. Fuck 'em.
thanks man!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wanting to buy a new BMW R nine T before I'm too old to ride.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
After getting used to driving the Civic do you think the drivers would belittle the Fit if they were confronted with it as a loaner? Why is your Fit at the dealer in the first place?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
After getting used to driving the Civic do you think the drivers would belittle the Fit if they were confronted with it as a loaner? Why is your Fit at the dealer in the first place?
Ongoing problem that started two weeks after I got the car.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ch-update.html

Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Initially, I was somewhat surprised reading the responses, but after a second thought, not as surprised as the obvious preference among the replies in this thread highlight the fuel efficiency and lighter feel of the 3rd generation Fit compared to the 10th generation Civic. With those aspects in mind, it's no wonder most, if not all, responses tilted in favor of the Fit.

Previously, my household owned a '16 Fit EX CVT and a '16 Civic EX-T CVT. Personally, the power advantage of the turbo Civic, lower ride height, weightier steering and planted feel gave me far more enthusiasm than I felt when driving the Fit. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Fit returned better fuel economy in the city, interior space better accounted for family usage, and I enjoyed flicking the Fit in spaces other vehicles wouldn't handle as well. We drove the Fit far more than the Civic, but that comes as no surprise considering I was the primary driver of the Fit. I avoided driving the Civic, despite my affinity for it, primarily because I didn't want to clean up items left in the Civic by my wife.

Ultimately, we got rid of the Fit. It was fuel efficient and accommodating, points I placed a priority on at the time of purchase, but my preference soon shifted to driving a vehicle that appealed more to my idea of enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I miss the Fit in some respects, but I'd pick the Civic over the Fit without much thought. To each his or her own.

Last edited by MyFirstHonda; 03-06-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFirstHonda
Initially, I was somewhat surprised reading the responses, but after a second thought, not as surprised as the obvious preference among the replies in this thread highlight the fuel efficiency and lighter feel of the 3rd generation Fit compared to the 10th generation Civic. With those aspects in mind, it's no wonder most, if not all, responses tilted in favor of the Fit.

Previously, my household owned a '16 Fit EX CVT and a '16 Civic EX-T CVT. Personally, the power advantage of the turbo Civic, lower ride height, weightier steering and planted feel gave me far more enthusiasm than I felt when driving the Fit. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Fit returned better fuel economy in the city, interior space better accounted for family usage, and I enjoyed flicking the Fit in spaces other vehicles wouldn't handle as well. We drove the Fit far more than the Civic, but that comes as no surprise considering I was the primary driver of the Fit. I avoided driving the Civic, despite my affinity for it, primarily because I didn't want to clean up items left in the Civic by my wife.

Ultimately, we got rid of the Fit. It was fuel efficient and accommodating, points I placed a priority on at the time of purchase, but my preference soon shifted to driving a vehicle that appealed more to my idea of enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I miss the Fit in some respects, but I'd pick the Civic over the Fit without much thought. To each his or her own.
I don't recall if I had mentioned this, but I found the Civic to be noisier than the Fit, especially tire/road noise, and I have snow tires on my Fit. One point in the Civic's favor: the heater is much better. The Fit takes a long time to get the car warm, and I have to keep the control set to max. I usually have to run the fan, as well. With the Civic, I turned down the heat after the car got warm. I had it as a loaner again last week, so it's fresh in my mind.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't recall if I had mentioned this, but I found the Civic to be noisier than the Fit, especially tire/road noise, and I have snow tires on my Fit. One point in the Civic's favor: the heater is much better. The Fit takes a long time to get the car warm, and I have to keep the control set to max. I usually have to run the fan, as well. With the Civic, I turned down the heat after the car got warm. I had it as a loaner again last week, so it's fresh in my mind.
I share your viewpoint with respect to the HVAC unit. The air conditioner in the Civic cooled much faster and remained colder at longer intervals than the Fit. We owned the Fit mainly during spring and summer months, so I don't recall significant enough use of the heater to compare the two.

As for the road noise, oh boy, they're both noisy rides in my opinion. However, I recall the Fit being the noisiest of the two.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFirstHonda
I share your viewpoint with respect to the HVAC unit. The air conditioner in the Civic cooled much faster and remained colder at longer intervals than the Fit. We owned the Fit mainly during spring and summer months, so I don't recall significant enough use of the heater to compare the two.

As for the road noise, oh boy, they're both noisy rides in my opinion. However, I recall the Fit being the noisiest of the two.
I admit that I have quite a bit of sound deadening material in my Fit, but even my son's Fit is quieter than the Civic - lots of tire and wind noise.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:55 PM
I admit that I have quite a bit of sound deadening material in my Fit, but even my son's Fit is quieter than the Civic - lots of tire and wind noise.
Well, it looks like I'm in the minority. I surely recalled the Fit to be noisier.

Quick Reply: Civic Loaner