3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CVT Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
CVT transmission tends to fail once you rack up the mileage which is why I opt'd for 6speed Manual on my 2017 Fit EX.

My other car is 2009 Nissan Cube which currently has 233k miles, and I recently replaced it w/ its 3rd Nissan CVT transmission. All of the previous CVT all lasted around 115k miles then it started disengaging and slipping. The only way to get the car moving again is get a new one. The engine on the Nissan is tough as nail though. haha

Old 07-19-2017, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Midnight Run
CVT transmission tends to fail once you rack up the mileage which is why I opt'd for 6speed Manual on my 2017 Fit EX.

My other car is 2009 Nissan Cube which currently has 233k miles, and I recently replaced it w/ its 3rd Nissan CVT transmission. All of the previous CVT all lasted around 115k miles then it started disengaging and slipping. The only way to get the car moving again is get a new one. The engine on the Nissan is tough as nail though. haha
Is that CVTs in general or specifically Nissan CVTs you're referring to?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Were you able to determine if the transmission failure was from a failure of the drive pulley shaft?

That's too bad, I would expect more than 2.5 years and 80,000 miles of reliability from a Honda Transmission.

Honda isn't the first or only automaker to discover what I think is a hard part problem (Drive Pulley Shaft) and try to fix it by adjusting Software.
Which always seems suspicious to me as far as approach.

If it was originally determined that operation was most efficient with the software parameters set at the original specifications then adjusting them to protect a inferior part seems like a poor approach to actually fixing the problem. Really, I think Drive Pulley Shafts need to be replaced with ones that CAN handle the original software and are NOT too soft. But software adjustment is a cheaper approach. Cheaper....for the automaker, but not as good for us the owners.

I hope you can get some assistance or help in this repair.
You hit the nail on the head! In regards to your opinion about fixing a problem is to overlook the original design and its intention by reducing the stress on the part through a change in the software. This would not be the first time manufacturers have done just that.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by TSinNJ
I've owned my 2015 Fit for 2.5 years and I have just over 80,000 miles - (90+% highway).

Last week, I was driving to work when my transmission had a catastrophic failure. It would not engage in any gear and I could not accelerate. I was very lucky to not be driving in heavy traffic as that would certainly have increased the likelihood of a crash from behind.
The vehicle was towed to the dealer. They drained the trans fluid and they witnessed metal coming out with the fluid. They said there was nothing on my part which would have contributed to the failure. I treat it well and take good care of it. By the way, I just want to say how much I really love this car.

There was a recall issued in the latter part of 2015 describing the potential for CVT failure due to the drive pulley shaft made from metal with inferior hardness.
Honda's solution was to upgrade the software to put less hydraulic pressure on it so it won't break. My car was NOT a part of this recall campaign, but I feel that it should have. I checked my VIN against thei records, but no results came up. However, The official NHTSA lists the beginning and ending range of VINs. Just out of curiosity, I took the the VINs they used for their range, popped it into the search engine, and neither one returned a result. They were valid VINs as the result will tell you if it not. Perhaps if they are fixed, they remove them from the database... BTW, my VIN appears to fit within that range, but I get no results either.
Check your VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Also, the official notice is here with the VIN ranges:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...5V574-6037.PDF

And who knows to what degree the "lower end of the hardness spectrum" really is... Maybe on a scale of 1 to 10, the threshold is 7, and mine was at 7.3 so they know it would fail outside of the warranty period.

Good Luck to all 2015 Fit owners within these VIN ranges. If you have any problems at all with your CVT well before what is expected of the Honda Quality that has been sold to you - and that you expect, please file a complaint with the NHTSA as I have done by going here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
It's simple, and takes only 5 minutes - and who knows, maybe they will notice a trend which will trigger an expanded recall.

It's really just a matter of speaking up and being heard!

Thanks.
Isn't that failure covered by the warranty?
Here in Uruguay the Fit has a 5 year 93.750m (150.000km) warranty.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Here in the US, the basic warranty is 3 yr. or 36K miles (whichever comes first), and the powertrain warranty is 5 yr. or 60K miles. So 80K miles is well beyond the powertrain warranty.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by gusvera
Isn't that failure covered by the warranty?
Here in Uruguay the Fit has a 5 year 93.750m (150.000km) warranty.
Technically, the warranty had expired at 60,000 miles in the US.
Here's the good news - after explaining my case in detail, in writing, to Honda Corporate, a very nice representative reached out to me. After a pleasant discussion, I was compensated for 3/4 of the cost of replacing the transmission. I can live with that - it was fair - after all, I did get 80K out of the transmission, so what I expected - and asked for - was some sort of pro-rated compensation, and that is what I received.
It pays to be fair, reasonable, and kind - and it worked out for the best.
Thank you all.
TS

Last edited by TSinNJ; 08-21-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by TSinNJ
Technically, the warranty had expired at 60,000 miles in the US.
Here's the good news - after explaining my case in detail, in writing, to Honda Corporate, a very nice representative reached out to me. After a pleasant discussion, I was compensated for 3/4 of the cost of replacing the transmission. I can live with that - it was fair - after all, I did get 80K out of the transmission, so what I expected - and asked for - was some sort of pro-rated compensation, and that is what I received.
It pays to be fair, reasonable, and kind - and it worked out for the best.
Thank you all.
TS
I only wish I had been as fortunate. I just got off the phone with corporate Honda customer service. Three weeks ago my 2015 Fit's transmission failed at 90,000 with no advance warnings or signs. Corporate Honda claims that a Honda technician cannot diagnose why the tranmission failed once it has been removed. My work was done by my trusted local mechanic who showed me the bits and pieces of a chain that came out when he drsined the fluid. Was your transmission replacement work done by a Honda dealer?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
These failures are happening way too early. I would not be the least bit happy with that service life.

Regular Honda automatics easily go 200k plus. Heck...my last Ford auto had 140k on it at trade in and my last GM auto had 180k on it at trade in. Both still operated perfectly fine. My Mom's GE auto Fit is at 100k and still shifts like new. I expect it to hold up just fine as well.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 has 82k on it. Some minor things have gone wrong, fighting a potential brake issue maybe now... The fact it spends the majority of it's life at 3500 rpm (6 MT at 75mph) worries me a bit. Time will tell. I need 200+k out of it as I only want to buy one more car before retirement.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
My 2015 has 82k on it. Some minor things have gone wrong, fighting a potential brake issue maybe now... The fact it spends the majority of it's life at 3500 rpm (6 MT at 75mph) worries me a bit. Time will tell. I need 200+k out of it as I only want to buy one more car before retirement.
Ours has done great under that environment. Near 200k now. These failures are with the CVT auto. Not the manual.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
These failures are happening way too early. I would not be the least bit happy with that service life.

Regular Honda automatics easily go 200k plus. Heck...my last Ford auto had 140k on it at trade in and my last GM auto had 180k on it at trade in. Both still operated perfectly fine. My Mom's GE auto Fit is at 100k and still shifts like new. I expect it to hold up just fine as well.
We have to be careful jumping to such a quick conclusion. There are tens of thousands of GKs on the road now and we're not hearing widespread reports of CVT failures. For example the OP said his was related to previous collision damage:

Originally Posted by Locupletative
Well upon further inspection while taking apart my car to drop the trans.. We figured out the problem of why the transmission burned out so soon! The coolant lines that run through the trans got bent back so badly with the collision I had at 50k miles, there was probably little to no coolant cooling the trans. I'm actually incredibly impressed now that the car made it nearly 90k more miles with no problems! Fear not fit freaks, this is one tough cookie. ��
The other 2 in this thread, sounds like they had failures. What their car histories are, I'm not sure. Were their cars built on Fridays and just had defective transmissions? Only time will tell as more and more GKs hit the 100k+ mark.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
We have to be careful jumping to such a quick conclusion. There are tens of thousands of GKs on the road now and we're not hearing widespread reports of CVT failures. For example the OP said his was related to previous collision damage:

The other 2 in this thread, sounds like they had failures. What their car histories are, I'm not sure. Were their cars built on Fridays and just had defective transmissions? Only time will tell as more and more GKs hit the 100k+ mark.
I agree completely. Only time will tell. My Dad purchased a 2017 CR-V with the 1.5t and CVT against my advice. He's a high mileage driver so I'll have a somewhat personal experience with a high mile Honda CVT shortly. He's 90% highway so he's pretty easy on vehicles, but he racks on the miles.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 54K and counting and doing about 20K a year so I'll report back. Also haven't done my first CVT fluid change yet. I'm relying on the MM to tell me, but I'm sure it'll be soon.

I wonder the reports of failures, what they've done to maintain the CVT fluid?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
That stinks. Honda has been getting a bad rep for transmission reliability, starting with, I believe, the big Acura CL. The V6 Odyssey and Accord models are known to be poor and fail at somewhere around 100K. I don't consider this "normal wear" if the ATF has been changed; I consider it bad design. Sure, this might be very normal for a Fiat; but as people have pointed out it's very possible to have an AT last 200k miles. Seems like they haven't necessarily gotten a ton better over time.

Not necessarily something to bail on Honda for, but definitely something to be aware of when you buy one.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
As an additional though - anyone aware of Accord CVTs having a similar issue? Would be good to know if this is one model of their CVTs or more than one. With an Accord, you actually have the option of 2 transmissions (one CVT, one 10AT) depending on engine and trim that you buy. And of course the manual too but that is a different beast entirely and wouldn't fail in the same way.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
If my memory serves correctly Honda owners manual recommended replacing the 3 quarts of CVT oil in the fit every 20,000 miles. Which is it bad if you consider doing it annually.