Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

CVT Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
CVT Transmission problem

I have a first generation Japanese market fit with a 1.3 and a CVT transmission with 136k kilometers on it. For almost 12 years, I've had very few problems, except the transmission. It will go fine for about 40k kilos, and then the transmission will start shuddering for a second or two while getting it up to speed.

I took it to the mechanic the other day, and he wasn't exactly encouraging. He told me that's just how this transmission is, and that he can't fix it because its got so many miles on it. He threw some (very expensive) stuff in the transmission and changed the fluid, and it did help. It still does a bit of twerking but not nearly as bad.

I really don't want to get a new model fit because I love my little car. My wife has a 3rd generation fit because she loved mine so much, but I don't like hers. It's got ugly lines and has no soul.

So my question is what do you know about this transmission, and is it really worth spending money to rebuild what I have come to think of as the weak link in an otherwise wonderful little car? Or do I buy a new model fit?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
when is the last time u changed your coil packs?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have no idea what a coil pack is, but it's going into the shop this december for what they call in japan "shaken" which is a combination road tax/safety inspection.

I'll ask about that when I get there. The mechanic I went to wasn't a honda dealer, but your average garden variety mechanic. He showed me a chart that was pretty specific about when the car would start shuddering.

Are these coil packs part of the engine or the transmission? It sure feels like a transmission problem.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
On other makes a mild misfire is sometimes mistaken for a transmission shudder.

The coils are what fire (or ignite) the spark plugs. There is one (mounted externally) on top of each spark plug. Your 1.3L might have two spark plugs and coils per cylinder, in that case you would have eight coil packs.

To me, the fact that your mechanic did something to the trans that lessened the problem DOES point to the transmission. (Probably, he replaced CVT fluid)

Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation. I used to know how to work on cars back in the day when spark plugs had leads that went to a distributor cap. I guess I'm old school.

I'm pretty sure it's not a misfire because I've had this problem before, and it was fixed with a change of transmission fluid at the dealership's garage. Besides, it doesn't feel like a misfire at all. The whole car will shudder for several seconds, especially when getting it going from a start on an incline.

and yes, the engine does have dual spark plugs for each cylinder.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
New to honda's, and the forum,, But A CVT works more or less like a comet clutch on a snowmobile. CVT's have always had the issue of the drive shivs wearing, Subaru had huge issues back when they first tried them. The shivs(Pullys) start out with a smooth surface that the drive chain/belt rubs against, over time you'll get wear on the surface, usually there is a pattern based on speed and where you drive, The belt wears as well, sometimes techs will change the belt/chain (relatively not to expensive, and it buys some time but eventually the Shivs wear out and need replaces (Relatively expensive...) Some use a drive cone to drive cone system that wears the same way.. But no chain.

Cheers

The fluid helps because its fresh. CVT trannys are tough on fluid..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Belch
I have a first generation Japanese market fit with a 1.3 and a CVT transmission with 136k kilometers on it. For almost 12 years, I've had very few problems, except the transmission. It will go fine for about 40k kilos, and then the transmission will start shuddering for a second or two while getting it up to speed.

I took it to the mechanic the other day, and he wasn't exactly encouraging. He told me that's just how this transmission is, and that he can't fix it because its got so many miles on it. He threw some (very expensive) stuff in the transmission and changed the fluid, and it did help. It still does a bit of twerking but not nearly as bad.

I really don't want to get a new model fit because I love my little car. My wife has a 3rd generation fit because she loved mine so much, but I don't like hers. It's got ugly lines and has no soul.

So my question is what do you know about this transmission, and is it really worth spending money to rebuild what I have come to think of as the weak link in an otherwise wonderful little car? Or do I buy a new model fit?
That is true, mine with 100 miles does it. Appears to be a slight shudder as I take off slowly, but if I press the accelerator hard, it doesn't happen or goes by it quickly.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
I have exactly the same car in Japan with about 94k kilometres on it - silver by chance? . This is a problem with the start clutch rather than the main bit of the CVT and it is a very well known issue. Honda were fitting a new, revised start clutch for free up to 7 years after the cars were made. Have a look in your documentation to see if it was done. If it wasn't you may be a bit stuck with the problem.

In my case it was done just before I bought the car at about 60k kilometres. 5 years and 35k km later it was juddering pretty noticeably, especially on hills. In fact climbing steep hills at low speed was out of the question. Reading around the only cure is to replace the CVT oil and do that start clutch cleaning procedure where you apply the brakes and give the engine a few revs.

Although many swear that only Honda CVT oil will do, my local discount petrol station (Solato if they exist round your way) had just bought a new machine for changing the fluid and had a promotion on. I figured a Japanese oil company knows as much about CVT fluids for Japanese cars as anyone else so went for it.

So, I gave them the car. They tested the fluid and said it was shot. They pumped it out. Refilled/retested/fail. Pumped out again. Refilled, retested and said it it now passed. They did the cleaning procedure and gave me the car back. It cost about 6,000 Yen (50 dollars or so). The car was almost OK after they did it and a few months down the line it is pretty much perfect. They claim it needs replacing every 20k km. We will see - basically it gets changed when the problem recurs to a significant extent.

I haven't heard of anyone here in Japan with the coil pack problem. Perhaps our cars just don't have the higher mileages that bring the problem to the fore?

On another note - What is it with batteries and Fits in Japan? I am on my fourth now. The last one barely made two years. Someone I know who knows a lot at Honda tells me that is normal. Maybe it's the hot summers and lack of a shady garage.

Last edited by Wage Slave; 10-17-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the response, Steve!

I bought the car new, and can't recall any recall for the starter clutch. There was one for the driver's side door, and another one for the airbag that will get done in January.

I took my car to an autobacs and the guy showed me a chart for changing the transmission fluid. It was pretty spot on as far as when it would start that shudder at 30k, 60k, 90k, and 120k.

The chart didn't go past 120k, and the guy told me this was because that's as good as it's going to get. After that, I guess you need a rebuilt transmission, but he mentioned something about Honda not making any more parts, so that's kinda out.

What he did do was suggest some kinda fluid (my Japanese is okay for getting by, so long as you don't get technical on me) that cost me 6000 yen above and beyond the transmission fluid, so my bill was 14,000, He handed me back the car, and I shuddered my way back home. Not nearly as bad as before, but not brilliant, either.

As for the coil packs in Japan, they might change those out when you take the car in for its annual checkup (shaken). I'd have to check the maintenance records for that.

So far, I'm only on my second battery. It could be the extreme weather that kills batteries, but that would go for all cars here, and after 24 years here, I haven't really had a problem with them.

I'm pretty much settled on getting a new 4wd fit. I wish I could actually keep the car I have now as aside from the shuddering transmission, it's just rock solid with no problems. Either that, or a 660s. Those things must be a blast to drive!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it was a recall because it wasn't safety related - It got done if the problem was severe enough/the customer complained enough. Sounds like yours may not have been bad enough to need it.

Coil packs don't get changed as part of the shaken it would be an add on service and fairly expensive parts. Very unlikely to get done unless the engine was misfiring.

Have you tries the cleaning procedure? It's in the old threads here. I'll have a search if you can't find it.

I hear Honda had problems, up to and including breakdowns, with the motors on the new Fit. Solved now though so not relevant if buying new. And unfortunately if you want a 660S you had better be prepared to wait up to two years for it. A surprise hit and built by a small partner factory in Yokkaichi so limited supply.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:07 AM
My wife just bought a 2006 GD-1 with 90k+ km , only after reading the posts on this forum did I realise it had the infamous start clutch problem, there's a "drrrrrr' for 1 or 2 seconds when moving off, on a slope the "drrrrrr" goes on for 2-3 seconds.I flushed the CVT using 2 four litre CVTF bottles and the problem is still there. Oh well...I really should have read up a little more.I was sitting in there while we were contemplating the purchase.

Wondering if anyone had ventured to DIY a repair of the start clutch. Came across a forum http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thre...4701525-1.html detailing the process, doesn't seem as simple as a CVTF change to say the least. Told the wife, drive lightly so clutch plate doesn't slip (& get more worn out) , and keep fingers crossed.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Belch
Thanks for the explanation. I used to know how to work on cars back in the day when spark plugs had leads that went to a distributor cap. I guess I'm old school.

I'm pretty sure it's not a misfire because I've had this problem before, and it was fixed with a change of transmission fluid at the dealership's garage. Besides, it doesn't feel like a misfire at all. The whole car will shudder for several seconds, especially when getting it going from a start on an incline.

and yes, the engine does have dual spark plugs for each cylinder.
I had one of the 1st 2007's in MD area and we dove it 208k before giving it to another family member. At about 60k we had a shudder under load. Fast acceleration and really bad on steeper hills when we pushed it to go.. took a few trips to the shop and me driving it with a tech in the car to make the computer get the error codes. (Coil 3 missfire). After about the 2nd one I had them replace the last two.. fast forward another 60-90k i started having the issue. When I ordered parts online from Bernardi I noticed they updated the part # and I purchased 4 more and replaced them again. She went 300+ before the kid traded it on a 2019.. Hell of a car..