3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Center Console Lid Latch Gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Center Console Lid Latch Gone

My son borrowed my '16 EX and somehow managed to break the little front latch on the console lid. Piece of plastic broke.

I can try to find the part but honestly it doesn't seem to hinder the functionality at all. The lid stays shut without latching. If anything, now if my phone wire misses that little notch on the right side of the bin, I'm not as concerned about the lid pinching the wire.

On lease return I don't think they will notice although if the part is cheap I might order it then.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Let warranty cover the replacement

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
id just leave it alone. if you're worried about wires getting pinched, can u put a little self adhesive shoe? that would prevent the pinching.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:34 AM
This is silly. Anyone know why it takes so lpng to have three photos approved so they can get added to the thread?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I had a car with a broken arm rest clasp much like the Fit. I managed to work a Velcro pad near the clasp and it held great even when the arm rest went vertical.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
This just happened to me.
It's probably well past resolved now for the original poster, but I would say that latch has a weakness, so I wouldn't be too hard on the son. The tab on one side, has a very thin connection point. It's easily broke.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Mine also broke, months ago. It has a crappy thin plastic wall that holds the crappy plastic peg. Gravity and the pillow ontop of the armrest do a fine job of holding it down, so I've counted the loss as null.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
Mine also broke, months ago. It has a crappy thin plastic wall that holds the crappy plastic peg. Gravity and the pillow ontop of the armrest do a fine job of holding it down, so I've counted the loss as null.
That's EXACTLY where mine broke.
Unfortunately the place where the tab is..is so thin, so far no epoxy or glue has worked. Just not enough area/space to make a strong enough bond.
Not a big deal. like you said, it works, even without the latch. But Honda quality control should look at it.
I honestly can't remember doing anything to cause it to break, it's just too fragile for it's purpose.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
... it's just too fragile for it's purpose.
It doesn't have much of a purpose....if the console storage isn't stuffed overfull, it'll lay flat. And there's no locking option for it, so, it's pretty irrelevant, unless, like, you're jumpin' yer Fit like a monster truck, or something, then, yeah, it might fly up … I say don't worry 'bout it

Old 11-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ouch, he looks like he's in pain! LOL

Originally Posted by knope

Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
It doesn't have much of a purpose....if the console storage isn't stuffed overfull, it'll lay flat. And there's no locking option for it, so, it's pretty irrelevant, unless, like, you're jumpin' yer Fit like a monster truck, or something, then, yeah, it might fly up … I say don't worry 'bout it
Yeah, I get that you don't NEED it.
In fact, I'm going to be forced to not use it, because I don't think I can fix it.

But it's purpose is to be a latch, and IMO it's a design flaw, the tab is far too weak.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet

But it's purpose is to be a latch, and IMO it's a design flaw, the tab is far too weak.
I'm not gonna disagree with ya, my friend, mine barely holds itself closed without being broken …. Yeah, it should latch, no, it shouldn't break, and, mine can be popped open with the slightest of tugs without using the latch, so, dunno how much good it does even unbroken, really

Old 11-09-2018, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
General FYI.
On my way to the Hardware store to buy and try a different glue/epoxy. (JB Weld did not work ), I also swung by my local Honda Dealership Parts department. Just for kicks to see if Honda offered the latch piece as a separate replaceable part.

Not according to this Honda Parts department. It doesn't even show up on the diagram. Evidently I could buy a whole new lid...for upwards of $200, but latch piece? No go.

I suppose I could hunt U-Pull it places, or junk yards, but two things, I've never had too much luck finding parts like this, as things like consoles, latches, etc, usually get removed quickly or immediately by people.

Secondly? I don't really want to replace the whole lid, which is in good shape. But even if I found a lid and latch piece all in sound condition, my fear would be trying to remove the piece would result in my breaking the replacement---the tab is that thin.

I promise, I'm giving it one more try, with a "Plastic" epoxy. Which I need to let set for 24+ hours. If that doesn't work? I'll give up.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 AM
I made a thing on thingverse

You can print out a new one with a 3D printer.
I designed a replacement part on thingverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3281098

Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bornemanm
You can print out a new one with a 3D printer.
I designed a replacement part on thingverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3281098
you win .... award for best post by a 1 post count person ... EVER!

mind sharing that, in the big sticky thread?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nce-guide.html

Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
you win .... award for best post by a 1 post count person ... EVER!

mind sharing that, in the big sticky thread?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nce-guide.html
Was browsing, I'll add it *wink*

Old 01-21-2020, 10:11 PM
I got the latch posted by bornemanm printed out from thingverse. Awesome! Popped right in to place. Thanks for posting the design!

Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Mine broke while closing it after putting my wallet back in the console at an ATM machine. If you look at it cross-eyed, it'll break.

It does have a function though; to keep the contents of the console from becoming flying debris in an accident.

I'm guessing Honda sells an equally crappy replacement part for like $400, but I will keep looking for now.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by solidpoint
If you look at it cross-eyed, it'll break.
lol

in related news:
I don't own a 3D printer, but there is this; and services that will print it for you
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3281098

Old 04-26-2020, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Made one, too. It worked great.

Last edited by ToddF; 04-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Center Console Lid Latch Gone