3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Thinking of buying a 2015 EX-L and looking for input.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Thinking of buying a 2015 EX-L and looking for input.

Hello, I'm looking for a little input here. Recently put my old trusty civic out to pasture, and am considering a fit to replace it. I've only heard good things from friends with earlier generation Fit's. I've tracked down a good deal on a 2015 EX-L. Looks to be the reason it is a good deal, is that it has 43k on the odometer, or about double what I would put on in that time. So I am looking for input on what this may mean maintenance wise. If anyone has driven theirs as much, was there anything major needing to be done in the 40-50k mark? I haven't been over to look at it yet, when I do go is there anything in particular I should look for? Thank you for any help.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
You should know from owning a Civic that 43k is really meaningless, the car is just barely broken in and should still have warranty for the unexpected. You should not have to worry about any real maintenance/repairs for at least another 50k-75k (spark plugs being possible). Unexpected items are unexpected items. I have 23k on my 2016 EX-L Navi (9.5 months old) and beyond 1 oil change, done nothing (all highway). If you are getting a good price and the car checks out and you like it, go for it.

I plan to have my Fit till 500k (and better make 500k, all my Toyota's have...), lol.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cdtweasel
Hello, I'm looking for a little input here. Recently put my old trusty civic out to pasture, and am considering a fit to replace it. I've only heard good things from friends with earlier generation Fit's. I've tracked down a good deal on a 2015 EX-L. Looks to be the reason it is a good deal, is that it has 43k on the odometer, or about double what I would put on in that time. So I am looking for input on what this may mean maintenance wise. If anyone has driven theirs as much, was there anything major needing to be done in the 40-50k mark? I haven't been over to look at it yet, when I do go is there anything in particular I should look for? Thank you for any help.
I'm at just over 40k and have just replaced the tires. Other than that it's just regular maintenance. I've done four oil changes, tire rotations every 5k, engine filter and cabin air filter. I think at around 50k you're looking at a transmission flush for the CVT. It appears pretty easy so it shouldn't be a difficult diy.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
How old was your Civic? I really don't think they make the Fit as reliably as the old Civics, so don't think that just because the Fit is a Honda that it will match your Civic. Be open minded about the Fit's shortcomings. Honda dropped 6 positions on the 2016 Consumers Report Reliability Rating.

Some of the early production 2015s had some teething problems. When you go see it note the production date, which should be on the VIN on the door jamb somewhere. Then post it here. People will give you their opinions.

The Fit seems to be the same general size as the older Civics. They are light and peppy, at least in 6MT. For me it is a car that checks all my important points, but is not perfect. For you, post more questions and people here will answer them.

I hope you will get a significant discount from a 2017 model. There are not changes between a 2015/16/17.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 PM
One needs to remember that most modern cars are classified as less reliable as older cars, not due to mechanical issues but due to all the electronics that power them. Mechanical reliability has increased over the years, but as cars have gotten more complex, the electronics are becoming a larger issue and the point of more failures. That being said, it is not hard to get high mileage out of a car without breaking the bank. But that will hinge on highway mileage vs city mileage. Cars need to have hour meters, not distance, 200k city vs 200k highway is very different.

That being said, I have a 2004 Echo HB with 280k on it, and it's still going strong, I would expect much the same for the Fit.
​​​​

Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon
One needs to remember that most modern cars are classified as less reliable as older cars, not due to mechanical issues but due to all the electronics that power them. Mechanical reliability has increased over the years, but as cars have gotten more complex, the electronics are becoming a larger issue and the point of more failures. That being said, it is not hard to get high mileage out of a car without breaking the bank. But that will hinge on highway mileage vs city mileage. Cars need to have hour meters, not distance, 200k city vs 200k highway is very different.

That being said, I have a 2004 Echo HB with 280k on it, and it's still going strong, I would expect much the same for the Fit.
​​​​
Sadly, I agree with Torontoboy....but dont tell him that!

Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 AM
Also Consumer Reports lowers cars ratings due to confusing Infotainment Systems, cause you know if you can't control the radio, then the car is less reliable, right? lol. And some transmission issues with the computer controlled CVTs, but not the manuals. Which there again, electronics failing not mechanical.

But to the original post 43k on a car is nothing.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
The 2016 Consumers Reports Reliability Rating is a pretty good indicator of the relative trend of the different brands, so I believe it is still valid. All car manufacturers deploy fancy pants infotainment systems as well as dubious CVT systems. Relatively speaking, it is a level playing field.

A couple of owners here, some of whom have sold their Fits, have dented their roof simply by leaning their elbows on the top of their cars while washing the car. Today's cars are lighter, using thinner metal, all in the name of fuel economy. I believe this creates more fuel efficient but not as long lasting cars. I don't expect the Fit to be as reliable as past Hondas. The goal of cars has changed.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Goals of cars have not changed the problem is society and the consumer, manufacturers simply adapt. We live in a world where people would rather buy and dispose of things. Live in a society where 100k is considered high mileage. There is the problem, cars will last, people dispose of them anyways. The original post highlights this, they are basically asking if a 2 year car with 43k is still mechanically sound (and a side note average km per year is 20k-24k, so officially it does not have high mileage).

Thin metal has nothing to do with lasting, my F350 with similar mileage and age to my Echo (and has seen the same driving conditions) has more rust starting than the Echo with mush thicker tin.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon
. . . society where 100k is considered high mileage.
It would be interesting to know what the average mileage is on cars after they have had several owners and land in the junkyard.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've read that people are actually owning their cars longer, as long as 10-11 years on more. If the average driven miles is 15,000, then you're at 150,000 miles.

Obviously you're going to have the outliers who keep them longer, and those who get something new after a year. I work with a guy who pretty much got a car every year for a few years. We actually had a white board up w/ predictions when he'd get a new one. I think he's about due at this point lol

As far as the head unit, I guess I still remember when all a radio did was play music. I'm not interested and sending texts through it. Don't need it to tell me the weather. I just need it to play music. I'm only on two screens, the music and the trip info. You can keep the rest...

Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've read that people are actually owning their cars longer, as long as 10-11 years on more.
Correct, then they sell them to somebody or are used as a trade-in that goes to auction. Either way the cars get another life and more miles. My son worked with a guy who would buy $500 POS cars and drive them until they died. Then he'd buy another. I should have asked what his odometer readings were.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
I still have my 2004 4Runner that I bought new. It was my first ever new car purchase and since I was making decent money I "deserved" it. $575 car payment! What was I thinking at the time haha. 142k on the clock and still running strong.

I was actually looking at used 2013 but found they were still asking 14-15k when I bought in 2015. I figured for a few thousand more I could get a brand new 3rd gen with more amenities so I went with the GK5. If I had more time, I could have probably found a good deal on a GE, but my fiance's (at the time) car was falling apart so I gave her the 4Runner and I bought a commuter car. So now 4Runner is relegated to chauffeuring our daughter around. . Wife wants a mini-van and I'm putting that off as long as I can.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Thank you for all the input guys.