3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone Else Think LaneWatch is Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Tall, fat-headed passengers in your car.
Great point.

Or maybe you have alot of cargo. Maybe you have a big o table, TV, or anything else that require the Magic backseats to be put down... And your Right Rear Window is blocked.
Dat Lanewwatch on the right side mirror lookin good now.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
At first I found the lanewatch to be annoying. I turned it off and drove without it for awhile. After a few weeks I turned it back on and have since grown to like it.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
When I want to use it?
It's there.
When I want to ignore it?
I can.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:46 AM
I love the lanewatch, it is very handy in SoCal bumper to bumper fast traffic for working back from the fast lane to the exit, without having to take your eyes off the traffic ahead with a head turn.
It constantly shows me cars even two lanes over that I couldn't see without turning my head.
Would be nice if both sides had it, but even just on the right side it's really useful.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fizzy99
^I would also like to add that Honda was nice enough to add another type/piece of mirror on that left side mirror, that is supposed to help determine if you have someone in your blind spot.
honestly i hate that part of the mirror as it throws me off. when u own multiple cars its more annoying getting use to dat little bit of convex mirror than anything.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
I like the LaneWatch feature. More visibility is always better. My first three cars didn't even have a mirror on the right side. Keeping on top of the traffic around you was a physical exercise.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 AM
I like the feature, and the 3 angles it has. People need to understand that its a feature and not a replacement to do a head check into your blind spot. relying on LW for the blind spot check or doing a head check for the left side, lazy much? If you don't like it, you can disable in the HU so it does not pop up with the right turn signal.

I find it helpful when changing lanes with my trailer. I can see the trailer axle clearly and the trailer is almost exactly a car length away.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
LW has 3 angles? I'm aware that backup camera does, but not the LW.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
I'd like to confirm.
Can you turn off lane watch?
One person in this thread seems to suggest you can. Post #4.
I can't believe he would be the only person that has ever tried or done it.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
you can turn off the feature where it turns on at turn signal, but still be able to hit the button at the end of the stalk to turn it on manually.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
its the greatest thing in the world and the main reason we upgraded models.
I never turn my head to the right anymore.

a pox on you..., lanewatch haters!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
I have a couple friends with cars equipped, and noticed that they system does not detect motorcycles all the time.. BAD thing..

Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
People need to understand that its a feature and not a replacement to do a head check into your blind spot.
I had a friend in the car a few months ago and he almost lost it when the screen lit up after I hit the turn signal. "You have TWO cameras in this? I'd NEVER turn my head if I had this car!"

I had to tell him that if you don't turn your head, at some point you're gonna have a bad time. He was so disappointed.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
LW has 3 angles? I'm aware that backup camera does, but not the LW.
​​​​​​
Apologies, I misspoke, the 3 angles are for the backup only. My bad.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
​​​​​​
Apologies, I misspoke, the 3 angles are for the backup only. My bad.
No worries. I was like what secret menu did you find?! Lol

Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
you can turn off the feature where it turns on at turn signal, but still be able to hit the button at the end of the stalk to turn it on manually.
Thanks,
I experimented with mine and figured it out.

So first I turned it off...
But then as I was driving around NOT having it did bother me.
So I turned it back on.

I don't know?
I kind of feel like even if you don't use it too much, it's better to have as a potential aid...than to not have.
If you want to ignore it? Just don't look at it.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Universal-4-x5-5-Convex-Glass-Stick-On-Hot-Blind-Spot-Mirror-for-Car-Truck-Auto. I don't use it in the Fit, but it's large and cover all of the right side mirror so it doesn't look small and tacky.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Else Think LaneWatch is Stupid?-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by wasserball; 04-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Having a LX we don't have Lane Watch. My general gripe with the Fit (and maybe other new cars) is poor general visibility. I am used to driving an '81 Corolla where you can see out the windows. I find with the Fit there's big fat pillars everywhere, plus much smaller windows.

For the front I have to move my head from side to side when turning left into a split lane road so I can see where exactly the dividing curb is located. The pillars are so wide and that triangular window is almost useless.

I am used to driving without a right wing mirror but I really, really need one in the Fit because I just can't see out the right back windows by turning my head the way I can with the older car. Even then I find the right mirror does not cover it all and I have had a few close calls in lane changes to the right. I hate having to replace foolproof mirrors with modern gadgets guaranteed to fail but I think I could do with Lane Watch. However, I would have some way to keep it on permanently since I want to know if somebody is to my right before I am telling them I am actually turning to the right.

I didn't think I would use the backup camera but I do because I don't have anywhere near the rearview visibility I have with my '81 Corolla.

Most people have left wing mirrors incorrectly set. You do not need to see the side of the car. You need to set it so when cars just disappear from the rearview mirror they appear in the side mirror. When they just disappear from the side mirror they are just appearing in your left window. The problem I have had in both a 2013 Fit I tried and our 2016 is I cannot get the left mirror out far enough. It is set so you can see the side of the car,even with that added panel that's supposed to give you a wider view. The next time I go to an autoparts store I am going to see if I can find some of those stick-on wideview mirrors to put on our wing mirrors.

Last edited by Limmie; 04-14-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Limmie
I don't have anywhere near the rearview visibility . . .
It helps a lot to keep the rear headrests in the down position. That dramatically opens-up the rear view.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the good discussion on this topic. I think there have been some good points made on both sides -- against LaneWatch and in favor of LaneWatch. At least it's no longer a deal-breaker for me, now that I know I have the option to disable it if I want to. But I'll give it a fair chance, and maybe I'll grow to like it, like some others have done.

Thanks, again!

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Think LaneWatch is Stupid?