3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned

Old 05-30-2017, 09:52 PM
You know when I found out all the 6 sp. manuals were made in Mexico I hesitated. But then I figured it's a Honda, it must be okay. Just one of those times when you don't listen to your instincts and it bites you in the ass. NOBDY points out he went into a dealership and found another unit with the bad doors. I guess there's more than a handful of these out there for sale. I test drove mine. It drove fine. I gave the exterior a one minute walk around and didn't catch it. I don't know how I didn't see it. But those black edge guards on the silver car. I just didn't catch it.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Yes, Hyundai has some of the best quality of the industry right now. The Japanese are living off their reputation like US auto manufacturers did in the 70's and 80's

How Hyundai, Kia beat out Toyota, Honda | Fortune.com
can you explain us mfgs living off their reputations in the 70's and 80'. They were good then? Can you find any articles to back that up?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rav6262
To TBFit; yes, I considered attempting an adjustment to the door latch striker plate. Some cars have striker plates that can be moved laterally. I don't know if that's the case on my Fit. I did squish the door shut by leaning on it which compressed the weather strip but as ROB H pointed out, having done this the door doesn't close as good. My best bet now is to leave it alone.
Sorry to hear, must be frustrating. I have some front bumper sag and well, I just live with that too. Overall, does not diminish ownership since the car has been great so far, with of course my modifications to make it much more livable.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 PM
To interject in the Honda resting on it's laurels discussion. The mid '90's Hondas were spectacular in terms of dependability with the Accord leading the way. My Mom still drives her '96 Accord. In my view that was the golden age of Honda. And around 2005-2010 how many high school punks did you see riding around in mid '90's Civics? Remember that fad? The kids all put those weedeater mufflers on there to make it sound like a hot rod. I saw them everywhere and it was because their parents bought one and it was still around to give to Johnny when he turned 16 and got his license. I say that era cemented Honda as the best brand. (Not to say they still live up to it).

Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM
On the body and doors issue; if I can drive this car 10 years then the normal depreciation will overtake any amortized loss in value due to an observable defect in the doors. In other words, defects no longer matter when the book value nears zero (or scrap).

Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
can you explain us mfgs living off their reputations in the 70's and 80'. They were good then? Can you find any articles to back that up?

Took about a 10 second Google search of "US car quality 1970's

As bold and confident as the Big Three automakers were in the 1950s and 1960s, the American auto makers in the 1970s and 1980s stumbled badly, going from one engineering, manufacturing, or marketing disaster to another. Ford struggled when it was revealed that the Ford Pinto's gas tank was vulnerable to exploding when hit from behind. Ford knew about this vulnerability but did not design any safeguards in order to save a few dollars per vehicle. They rationalized that the cost of lawsuits would be less than the cost of redesigning the car.[23] GM had a string of miscues starting with the Chevrolet Vega, which developed a reputation for rapidly rusting and having major problems with the aluminium engine.[24] Cadillac damaged their reputation when the four-cylinder Cadillac Cimarron was introduced in 1981 (a gussied-up Chevrolet Cavalier at twice the price) and the "V8-6-4" engine didn't work as advertised.[25] GM's reputation was also damaged when it revealed in 1977 that they were installing Chevrolet engines in Oldsmobiles, and lawsuits from aggrieved Oldsmobile owners followed.[26] Likewise litigation ensued when a trio of diesel engines, designed from gasoline engines and used in GM cars from 1978 to 1985 suffered major problems. Class action lawsuits and efforts from the Federal Trade Commission resulted in buybacks of the cars from GM.[27] Chrysler also suffered damage to its reputation when its compact cars, the Plymouth Volaré and Dodge Aspen, were developed quickly and suffered from massive recalls and poor quality.[28]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo..._United_States

Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM
I don't think Hondaa has gotten any worse over the years.
It's just other manufacturers have been copying Japan and catching up.
People expectation that Honda is one of the best....so they nikpick.

Fact is Hond'a was never that good at making stuff look nice.
I had 3rd gen Integra brand new (touted as best handling FWD ever by the press)...the door panels are not flush, worse than yours...this was back in the late 90s. My college buddy's early 2000 Accord with a J vin has very poorly fitted interior trim pieces.

Hond'a has been an engineering firm. They are awesome at making efficicient, hi performance, fun to drive cars. I think they still do. They have got great engineering talents. They not only can build cars...they can build airplanes, robots with AI, hi performance motorcycles, and even lawn mowers. They do research and development on fuel cell vehicles.

Can't even compare companies like Hyund'ai and K'ia to that.

It seems people nowadays care most about how a car look. People complain the cabin has too much hard plastic (but hard stuff is more durable!). People want stylish and pretty.

If Hond'a goes down, it's because people's taste have changed over the years.

To interject in the Honda resting on it's laurels discussion. The mid '90's Hondas were spectacular in terms of dependability with the Accord leading the way. My Mom still drives her '96 Accord. In my view that was the golden age of Honda. And around 2005-2010 how many high school punks did you see riding around in mid '90's Civics? Remember that fad? The kids all put those weedeater mufflers on there to make it sound like a hot rod. I saw them everywhere and it was because their parents bought one and it was still around to give to Johnny when he turned 16 and got his license. I say that era cemented Honda as the best brand. (Not to say they still live up to it).

Last edited by teamcheap; 05-31-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 PM
I can agree that Honda is a great company with many competencies. However, in my specific case it is more than looks where Honda came up short. During the last two days, while writing in this here thread, it has been raining all day where I live. Now I discover for the first time I have water on the floor under my driver's floor mat. It's soaked this time. I have owned the car just shy of two months and only noticed it now after the first extended rainy period. I had already noticed I needed to use the defroster more than other cars, condensation on the interior windshield. Turns out I had a leak all along. I do not deny I care how my cars looks but I have some legit beefs on functional quality. I read a thread where somebody said Consumer Reports was a good source of info on new cars. Somebody replied that's all good but don't take it for gospel because they don't have all the info. I relied upon Consumer Reports in deciding on the Honda Fit. They rated it highly and called it best in subcompact class. I wish they would have mentioned the Mexican models should not be rated so highly.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 PM
So, just to finish my thoughts without going into a new thread, I'm not really happy with my purchase but this forum has helped me put things in perspective. My cash investment in this car was only $18,500. That includes $13,150 I got on my trade in which is fair and accurate. I talked them up from their first offer of $12,500. My cash on top of the trade was $5,200. The figure $18,500 includes tax ($300), title ($125), dealer doc fee ($300). My price if I paid full MSRP, all fees and taxes, and without a trade would have been $20,605. By that generous comparison I saved $2,105. The actual savings was closer to $1000. So maybe I have some money for repairs. Oh well.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yup you can either suck it up and live with what you got, or take your licks, sell it off and get something that's better.

That's where I am. The QC on my car wasn't the greatest with multiple recalls and warranty repairs, but so far it's been inexpensive to own, reliable and fantastic on MPG. Those were my main drivers for going with the Fit. It's my budget commuter car and it has done its job well in the 2+ years and 43k miles of ownership. I've paid off my car and just keep driving it. May not be the best to look at it, but it's all mine.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:15 PM
2RISMO2 What you're saying is what I'm finding out right now. QC is poor, got some problems, not happy with the cosmetics, etc. But there is plenty of upside in this car; runs like a mofo, the motor hums, it shifts good, crazy gas mileage, pretty good quickness, no rattles even on bumpy roads (not yet anyway), nimble handling, can park it anywhere, etc. Were it not for the shortcomings I would be in love with this car. But as it stands, I plan to stick with it for a while. I don't want to take a big hit on depreciation by selling out to early unless I have to.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's sad that Honda has not figured out the QC issues with the Fit after 3+ years of production. Is your vehicle a Japanese or Mexican made example?

Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 PM
It is Mexican. Apparently all the manual tranny models are made in Mexico. I wanted the manual transmission rather than the CVT. That's why I bought this one. You know I deliberately stay away from new car models of any brand because they need time to iron out the wrinkles. Usually takes a few years. Like you said, I'm surprised they would build and sell shit like this.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
It is Mexican. Apparently all the manual tranny models are made in Mexico. I wanted the manual transmission rather than the CVT. That's why I bought this one. You know I deliberately stay away from new car models of any brand because they need time to iron out the wrinkles. Usually takes a few years. Like you said, I'm surprised they would build and sell shit like this.
Mine is also made in Mexico, but that shouldn't really make a difference.

When I worked at Chrysler, it was the same standard regardless of the manufacturing plant. The plant I worked at actually hired the dimensional manager from one of the plants in Mexico because their plant had less dimensional variance than other plants. For those who aren't familiar with auto manufacturing; cars are built as close to nominal as possible. It's a moving target since there are usually two sets of dies for body panels, typical manufacturing variance and of course tolerance stack up. At Chrysler 12 Body In White a week were pulled and had CMM (coordinate measuring machine) Dimensional engineers would analyze the data and make shim moves to equipment to keep the body as close to nominal, as parts shifted.

Again to what I know. Chrysler's body shop had a measuring system at the end of the body shops process. It would check door gaps, flushness and all the wonderful things we're talking about in regard to body panel alignment. If not within spec than the body would be flagged for a human fitter to look at and align. Every body was signed off by fitter. If a car with panel alignment left the body shop under my watch with panel alignment as poor as my Fit than that fitter would have been written up for lack of quality. Even though a UAW shop, it would have stuck.

All the fan boy's here talk about the wonderful Honda engineering. Well the Honda dimensional engineers in Mexico are failing miserably.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm still trying to dry out my floorboards. Three rolls of paper towels and two sunny days with the windows and sunroof open and it is still wet. I'll find the wet floor thread to discuss further but so far I'm thinking the leak is not necessarily in the misaligned door. The flooring is wet in one spot up towards the firewall. I figure if the water wicked up to that spot from the floor it would have wicked up all around and it didn't. Thus, water must have leaked in through there. Will investigate. On the dealership lot I noticed this car had a plastic wrapper on the driver's floorboard which had some white powdery shit under it. I thought it was part of the new car protective wrap but know I know it was a mildew protectant powder. This car had an unusually strong "new car smell" which I now know was from that stuff. I didn't know enough to catch the dealer at this. Damnit!

Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
I had an awful problem with an old Ford Focus pissing water all over the floor when the AC was run ....car was high miles. outta warranty, and the engine ate itself, hence the purchase of my Fit.....have no H2O issues on the Fit...yet

Old 06-03-2017, 03:26 PM
After 3 days I finally got my floor dried out. I got a can of Flex Shot (clear color) and ran a bead all the way around my door gasket. When it rains day after tomorrow I'll find out what the deal is. I understand the leak may be in the firewall rather than the door but I'm hoping for the best. I wouldn't mind catching a break on this.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is getting a lot of heat with the Mexico assembled cars. Are you all in agreement the issue is in alignment quality assurance, and not in the design? If so, you can probably get a good mechanic to realign the door to perfection.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 PM
I might stop by a local body shop and ask if they can adjust the doors just to see what they say and how much it would cost. You might ask why I don't go to the dealer so they pay for it. Because I told the dealer to go fuck a goat, that's why. He will never touch my car again. I agree that quality control is the issue. Japan is making the same car without the fitment problems found in Mexico. Unless Mexico is building from different specs but from simple observation I don't see that.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
When it rains day after tomorrow I'll find out what the deal is.
Why wait for it to rain, just use a water hose.

As far as Mexico vs Japan goes, I seem to recall reading something, somewhere, back about the time Mexico was starting up, that because labor costs in Mexico were so cheap that the plant there was designed for more manually intensive assembly. A normal plant say in the US or Japan would be designed to use more robotics and automation to minimize high labor costs in these more industrialized countries.

I remember thinking at the time, gee, manual assembly always created variable quality problems in the assembly plants back decades ago, whereas robotics intensive lines in more recent years would more consistently crank out one car after another all identical quality wise. If they're going to use more manual assembly in that Mexico plant I wonder how that's going to work out .....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned