3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 PM
New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned

So I just bought it in April. Dealer had cheap aftermarket door edge guards on all the cars in inventory including mine. I get my new car home. After a few days I realize how cheap the door edge guards are and easily peeled them off. They were only stuck on with an adhesive strip. Then I notice how bad the door were. They don't close flush at all, not even close. Anybody else see anything like this?

I contacted the dealer and he agreed to fix it. But he said his body shop will do the best they can I suppose meaning no guarantees and being perfect. So, I'm a little pissed. BTW, I should have seen it before buying it but the problem was masked by the edge guards. This is a new car, not a used car, and the dealer has a responsibility to deliver a new car without substantial defect. I hope he can come through.

It seems like a manufacturing fault rather than an unreported crash. The car drives like it should, feels nice and tight in the body and no rattles.

See Pics, left and right side comparisons.

Attached Thumbnails New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083331.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083346.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083414.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083427.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083522.jpg  

New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_083535.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_084048.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_084122.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_084221.jpg   New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned-20170421_084228.jpg  

Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Hay Rav6262, looking at those pictures simply took me back to when I bought my 2015 SILVER Fit in April 2015. I had so many issues with the car that I simply dumped it off on a dealer's lot. I too had the same exact thing happen... dealer applied edge guards on delivery which promptly came off. My first visit to the dealer was to 'align the doors'. You may be lucky or not at all. It all depends on how consistently off they are. If there is a consistent gap all along the door you might be lucky with an adjustment. But if yours are like mine were you're going to have to live with it. In my case, the top edge of the doors stuck out while the bottoms were perfectly aligned. Short of replacing the doors, there's no adjustment for that. I was told by an independent body shop that the door skins were poorly manufactured. I hope you don't also encounter the 'clear coat fail' I experienced. Within months of owning the car I had 50% of the clear stripped off and reapplied because it literally came off in sheets. Let us know what you find out, but the dealer won;t take the car back because when you signed the delivery papers you accepted the car as 'acceptable'.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dont expect 100%. i dont look at my wife's GK very closely just for dis reason.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I thought all these issues went away when US Fit production moved back to Japan from Mexico. Or did the OP buy a manual?

Old 04-27-2017, 02:45 PM
what the F***!, it reminds me with an Iranian car that I bought in Iraq!
my Fit don't have this problem.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I thought all these issues went away when US Fit production moved back to Japan from Mexico. Or did the OP buy a manual?
Yes, OP bought a manual according to another post he made, which means it was made in Mexico so the alignment problems are no surprise.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rooster
Hay Rav6262, looking at those pictures simply took me back to when I bought my 2015 SILVER Fit in April 2015. I had so many issues with the car that I simply dumped it off on a dealer's lot. I too had the same exact thing happen... dealer applied edge guards on delivery which promptly came off. My first visit to the dealer was to 'align the doors'. You may be lucky or not at all. It all depends on how consistently off they are. If there is a consistent gap all along the door you might be lucky with an adjustment. But if yours are like mine were you're going to have to live with it. In my case, the top edge of the doors stuck out while the bottoms were perfectly aligned. Short of replacing the doors, there's no adjustment for that. I was told by an independent body shop that the door skins were poorly manufactured. I hope you don't also encounter the 'clear coat fail' I experienced. Within months of owning the car I had 50% of the clear stripped off and reapplied because it literally came off in sheets. Let us know what you find out, but the dealer won;t take the car back because when you signed the delivery papers you accepted the car as 'acceptable'.

the door skins weren't made incorrectly. Someone was talking out their butt. I worked for Chrysler in their Body In White department where the cars bodies are manufactured. The door frame is quite flexible until a door skin is hemmed on. Even then it's still flexible until it goes through the paint oven which the hardens the adhesive along with any anti flutter. The fitters did a poor job or Honda's QC isn't anywhere near what Chrysler's is? No car would have left the body shop as bad as my Fit is. With Chrysler's system the car could be tracked back to shifty and what fitter signed off that it was OK. I would have written an employee up for lack of quality. Again Honda must have a lower standard? Personally, my car is embarrassing. Unfortunately all the fan boi's on here think that Honda is number one on quality

Old 04-28-2017, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Rob H, skin/frame... doesn't really matter except for the fact that if the fit is inconsistent across the mating surfaces it's not fixable with a simple adjustment. I agree with you that NO car should leave ANY factory with those kind of mismatching panels. Mine did and so too did rav6262's. In my case the response from the Honda Rep to my door alignment issues was simply "it's within factory specs" to which I replied "obviously Honda has adopted some pretty low acceptability standards". That retort was not taken kindly by the rep. It really doesn't matter to me as I've moved on from the Fit. At least I got a great trade on a Toyota which had zero defects upon delivery and has already served me flawlessly for the past year. My stable still includes 2 Hondas, which apparently were built during the years they actually gave a crap about quality. But having owned and still owning both Toyotas and Hondas, I can honestly say Toyotas are better out the gate and in the long term. Thanks for reminding me, I need to fix the LED third brake light on my daughter's 2009 Civic before inspection... that'll be the second fix of an LED light that should last the life of the car. Honda can't seem to make them last. Luckily, a soldering gun and some time is all it will take. Add that to the other issues I've had with it and my horrendous issues with the Fit, and you see how sour I'm getting with Honda. I guess it's no wonder I always grab the 2010 Camry keys when I want to go somewhere.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
I hope you don't also encounter the 'clear coat fail' I experienced. Within months of owning the car I had 50% of the clear stripped off and reapplied because it literally came off in sheets. Let us know what you find out, but the dealer won;t take the car back because when you signed the delivery papers you accepted the car as 'acceptable'.
How well did Honda handle this warranty claim? Was it a simple acknowledgement of the flaw and a prompt fix, or was the warranty claim process a fight?

Old 04-28-2017, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
nobdy, Honda didn't even put up a fight when it came to fixing the clear coat. The car was barely a month old at the time and it was obviously a warranted issue. I just couldn't stand to know that nearly half my NEW car had been stripped of the clear and re-cleared. I was just waiting for issues to arise on other body panels, but that never happened, then again, I only had the Fit for 11 months longer. I wonder where it is today : )

Old 04-30-2017, 03:00 AM
Did you consider lemon law in your state for a buyback?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
didn't have to consider lemon laws Bob. By the time of it's one year anniversary I was so disgusted with the Fit that I really didn't want to own it anymore. At least I got a great trade on it so the $2k I 'spent' on it I chalked up to 'rental' payments for the 19k miles I racked up. Besides, the issues on the Fit for the most part were all corrected, less the door alignment and sagging bumper of course, then again Honda would have argued those were within tolerance.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 AM
I did the same with a 2000 Saturn LS, the first year of the Midsize Saturn.

Total trash, all design errors and impossible to correct. No safety items, so I traded it for a Corolla.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Bob, I had a 1998 Corolla, bare bones except AC, bought that car for my 50 mile RT commute and did so until I retired in late 2013. After quite a few tire changes, brake jobs, oil changes, and other maintenance items that 'rolla never gave me any issues. The only weak spot, and you'll probably agree, was with the cheapo interior door handles. I always kept a few on hand as they tended to snap after a while of use. I even had the original clutch in it. Racked up 300k miles in it and it never owed me a dime. In fact, it never saw the service department once. While I liked the Fit on many levels, I would still own it if it was built better. I'm sure I got the 'one in a million' with so many issues, but Honda should have made right by me. I was, and that is now past tense, a Honda fan. It'll be awhile until they see another dime from me.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Yes, OP bought a manual according to another post he made, which means it was made in Mexico so the alignment problems are no surprise.
I only read the posts in this thread and where the car was made wasn't stated.

Sad to see that Mexico's build quality hasn't improved.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Since the HRV's have been made at the Mexico plant for a while now I wonder what the quality is like with them. Anybody heard anything about that?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
we specifically bought a J vin for this reason. stayed away from 3HM or w/e mexican vin is.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Since the HRV's have been made at the Mexico plant for a while now I wonder what the quality is like with them. Anybody heard anything about that?
I went with a friend to look at HRVs for his mom. The Clearcoat was really bad and the paint beneath almost looked like it had run in a few spots. Neither the interior nor exterior were impressively assembled. We looked at a half dozen of them in different colors, they were all sketchy quality wise. I'm thinking it's an assembled in Mexico thing.

I'm no fan boy. I needed a small hatchback that got good gas mileage as I drive a lot and haul stuff often. My fit, 2016 EX CVT made in Japan, was extremely well put together. I haven't seen any of the issues I've heard of others having and am very pleased overall with it. I wasn't expecting much at its price point but it has served my needs and out outperformed my expectations. I've put almost 30k miles on it in the year I've had it and so far it's got a lifetime average of 38mpg, including city driving. YMMV.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Rob H, skin/frame... doesn't really matter except for the fact that if the fit is inconsistent across the mating surfaces it's not fixable with a simple adjustment. I agree with you that NO car should leave ANY factory with those kind of mismatching panels. Mine did and so too did rav6262's. In my case the response from the Honda Rep to my door alignment issues was simply "it's within factory specs" to which I replied "obviously Honda has adopted some pretty low acceptability standards". That retort was not taken kindly by the rep. It really doesn't matter to me as I've moved on from the Fit. At least I got a great trade on a Toyota which had zero defects upon delivery and has already served me flawlessly for the past year. My stable still includes 2 Hondas, which apparently were built during the years they actually gave a crap about quality. But having owned and still owning both Toyotas and Hondas, I can honestly say Toyotas are better out the gate and in the long term. Thanks for reminding me, I need to fix the LED third brake light on my daughter's 2009 Civic before inspection... that'll be the second fix of an LED light that should last the life of the car. Honda can't seem to make them last. Luckily, a soldering gun and some time is all it will take. Add that to the other issues I've had with it and my horrendous issues with the Fit, and you see how sour I'm getting with Honda. I guess it's no wonder I always grab the 2010 Camry keys when I want to go somewhere.

Of course the OEM is going to argue that the panels are within their specifications. Fiat Chrysler specifications for the Dart were 3mm +/- .5mm for door gaps. My Fit isn't anywhere near that. The link above that Action Jackson posted has my documentation of the issues with my car, as I see them.

What's sad is that to all the fanboi's here; Honda doesn't do any wrong. I've been completely underwhelmed with my car. I would have preferred a Mazda 2, but Mazda stopped importing them to the US because there wasn't enough profit at the price point they needed to sell them at to be competitive. I bought the Fit because I wanted a small hatch and the Fit seemed to be one of the better ones left in the class?

My son is turing 16 this summer and I'm probably going to give my car to him. If I could go back in time, I'd buy a Ford Fiesta ST in place of the Fit. Maybe in the fall once it's somewhat out of my life.

Quick Reply: New 2017 Fit- Doors Misaligned