3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I miss my Fit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:25 PM
jhn
I miss my Fit...

It's been about 6 months now. Insurance wrote it off total loss. It was a good car. VIN 3HGGK5H85FM730414

Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
They do make more. Why not buy another?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps a Fit was not available when the insurance money came in and another vehicle was purchased somewhat urgently. But once you've been bitten by the Fit bug, it's hard to consider other vehicles.

The only other one I considered in addition to the Fit was the HR-V, but what really dissuaded me from that purchase were several factors: 1. Limited insurance payoff from when my GD3 was totaled! 2. HR-V about 500 lb. heavier with only a 11 hp stronger engine (130 Fit vs. 141 HR-V if memory serves), meaning the HR-V would be quite underpowered by comparison. 3. HR-V was almost too much vehicle for me, I like to have a small footprint.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Perhaps a Fit was not available when the insurance money came in and another vehicle was purchased somewhat urgently. But once you've been bitten by the Fit bug, it's hard to consider other vehicles.

The only other one I considered in addition to the Fit was the HR-V, but what really dissuaded me from that purchase were several factors: 1. Limited insurance payoff from when my GD3 was totaled! 2. HR-V about 500 lb. heavier with only a 11 hp stronger engine (130 Fit vs. 141 HR-V if memory serves), meaning the HR-V would be quite underpowered by comparison. 3. HR-V was almost too much vehicle for me, I like to have a small footprint.
If I were in that situation, wanted a Fit and one wasn't immediately available, I'd buy something used and cheap and drive it for a few months until I found what I really wanted. I probably wouldn't lose too much if I bought the temporary car cheaply enough.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM
There is a fit around the corner from me, someone smacked it in the LR while parked and tore the wheel off. I'm debating going and leaving a note if they are junking it as I need some parts like the cargo cover and whatever else I can snag on the cheap.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
It's been about 6 months now. Insurance wrote it off total loss. It was a good car. VIN 3HGGK5H85FM730414
Dang bro! I didn't know that's why you left the forums. It doesn't seem to take much impact for the Fit to be declared a loss. Glad it protected you though. Job well done Fit!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
just get another one. did you have custom mods on it that you can't replace?

Old 05-26-2017, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Dang bro! I didn't know that's why you left the forums. It doesn't seem to take much impact for the Fit to be declared a loss. Glad it protected you though. Job well done Fit!
Modern cars are very expensive to repair, and insurance companies will typically write off the car if the repair estimate is more than 60% of the value. It's not just Fits that are written off for seemingly minor damage.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Modern cars are very expensive to repair, and insurance companies will typically write off the car if the repair estimate is more than 60% of the value. It's not just Fits that are written off for seemingly minor damage.
I know of a case where the estimated repair of a porsche was over $30K and the insurance company refused to consider it totaled. If it is an expensive car, the insurance will try to get it fixed even though you preferred to have it totaled. There is such a thing as diminished value, the amount of money insurance offers you, if asked, but normally it is far less than what you expected. Diminished value payment is justified because even though the porsche will be repaired, a car that had been an accident is less valuable than a similar porsche that has not been in an accident. We are talking about $10K difference here. The way to resolve the difference is the threat of "see you in court" unless your insurance policy contract requires an arbitrator (probably in their favor).

Last edited by wasserball; 05-26-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I had a showroom new 2001 Neon, the stepson at the time T-Boned a van that an older guy turned in front of him. Damage didn't look bad at all, just the front bumper/grill , radiator.... was only 2 years old, just paid $17,000. off and the insurance only gave me $6000. I was mad about that one, I worked in the automotive fields so I knew there wasn't that much damage done but they totaled it out.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sono
I had a showroom new 2001 Neon, the stepson at the time T-Boned a van that an older guy turned in front of him. Damage didn't look bad at all, just the front bumper/grill , radiator.... was only 2 years old, just paid $17,000. off and the insurance only gave me $6000. I was mad about that one, I worked in the automotive fields so I knew there wasn't that much damage done but they totaled it out.
I owned two Neons, and they depreciated faster than any car I ever owned. It's that depreciated value the insurance company is working from.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM
I owned two Neons, and they depreciated faster than any car I ever owned. It's that depreciated value the insurance company is working from.
Yep, and would you believe a 2001 neon is higher on insurance than my 2008 Fit... but almost $100 , another reason I got the fit. And the fits have a better crash rating, side airbags and more.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn

Thought you had a white fit.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, and would you believe a 2001 neon is higher on insurance than my 2008 Fit... but almost $100 , another reason I got the fit. And the fits have a better crash rating, side airbags and more.
Yes I believe it, because I traded an '02 Neon for a '09 Fit Sport, and my insurance did the same thing. I believe demographics worked against the Neon, as a high proportion of Neon drivers tended to be young people with a higher than normal accident rate. Fit drivers, at least around here, seem to be mostly "little old ladies".

Old 05-29-2017, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
The 2001 Neon has a higher insurance premium because it lacks the more modern safety features you mention. Thus, in a crash the insurance company would have to pay out more, therefore you pay them more. The Fit is a safer car with modern safety features, therefore you pay less in premium. This is what my insurance company said.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ that makes sense. the safety systems on modern cars make the cars near autonomous.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
It'll be purchased by a rebuilder. They'll fix it up, make it look brand new, and sell it as "salvaged" vehicle.

Take solice in that it'll get a second chance in life with a new owner.

Last edited by teamcheap; 05-30-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I sold my white one is the main reason. I had two of these. My son was hit in the silver one and the damage was much more extensive than it appears, but he was uninjured. Some mild airbag burns on his hands and that was all. My confidence in the protection this car provides is high.

It was a great little car, and I really miss my white one. I wish I would have kept it.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Why it takes that long to review the case?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy

I was considering HR-V as well. But still think Fit is a better choice for me. Your point is spot on. HRV has slower 0-60. fit about 8.5-8.8 sec. HRV close to 9.5-10 second. HRV is not any bigger inside. Actually fit has more rear leg room than HRV's. HRV exterior just look like another regular SUV. Fit is a lot more unique looking. and HRV is more expensive. Fit is really its own class. Nothing on the market is alike.

Quick Reply: I miss my Fit...