3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

trunk reinforcement/mat?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 AM
trunk reinforcement/mat?

Hi all! I just got a 2015 Fit a week ago. I just helped somebody move, and was impressed with the amount of stuff that could fit inside my car (I got a double mattress in there!) but less impressed with the quality of the rear cargo area itself. Moving furniture scraped up my trunk floor a bit, and left a lot of marks (I was able to get some out with a wet cloth, but there are also some indentations in the trunk floor). The trunk floor seems super flimsy, both in terms of the carpeting and the actual floor material above the spare tire--I'm scared it will collapse when I put something heavy in the center.

Anyway, I'm moving all of my stuff around 1,000 miles in the car in a few weeks, and want to get some kind of trunk liner to protect the floor carpeting and maybe reinforce it a little. I haven't got much money to spare, and the OEM cargo tray (which is the cheapest one I can find) runs around $72 (I'm also not too fond of the lip at the end, I'm gonna be flipping the seats down and don't want that space divided). Does anyone know of any cheaper solutions? Am I just worrying too much about damaging the trunk?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roryc
I haven't got much money to spare . . .
Cut a hunk of plywood or carpet to fit the cargo area.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
I've thought about getting one of these: TrafficMASTER Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat-60-443-1902-30000500 - The Home Depot

I've scratched the carpeting there too helping my FIL move a giant TV. I don't worry about it, it's just a car. If I move heavy stuff regularly though, I think I'd reinforce w/ plywood though. 1000 miles moving heavy stuff in the rear would probably put a lot of stress on that cheapo stock floor piece. The Fit was designed to be lightweight and they definitely saved weight where they could.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I'd use plywood, which is cheap and strong. The Fit's hatch floor is terribly weak. Someone had loaded a motorcycle tire and dented the floor with the axle.

The least and cheapest you can do is a canvas tarp, which will resist the inevitable scuffs. The OEM cargo tray does not cover the back of the rear seats when they are down. There will also be a lip that will get crushed if you load lots of gear. Some people have gone to Home Depot and bought long floor mats, which are thicker. There are photos somewhere.

On the back of the rear seats there are two metal tie down loops. Do you have them on your car? They may be helpful in tieing down boxes, so the boxes don't shift.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've thought about getting one of these: TrafficMASTER Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat-60-443-1902-30000500 - The Home Depot

I've scratched the carpeting there too helping my FIL move a giant TV. I don't worry about it, it's just a car. If I move heavy stuff regularly though, I think I'd reinforce w/ plywood though. 1000 miles moving heavy stuff in the rear would probably put a lot of stress on that cheapo stock floor piece. The Fit was designed to be lightweight and they definitely saved weight where they could.
yep, and also considered intentional crumpling during a crash.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I'd use plywood, which is cheap and strong. The Fit's hatch floor is terribly weak. Someone had loaded a motorcycle tire and dented the floor with the axle.

The least and cheapest you can do is a canvas tarp, which will resist the inevitable scuffs. The OEM cargo tray does not cover the back of the rear seats when they are down. There will also be a lip that will get crushed if you load lots of gear. Some people have gone to Home Depot and bought long floor mats, which are thicker. There are photos somewhere.

On the back of the rear seats there are two metal tie down loops. Do you have them on your car? They may be helpful in tieing down boxes, so the boxes don't shift.
I have tie-down loops and plan on using them.

Plywood might work--but if I'm traveling with the seats flattened and only want to cover the trunk area and not the backs of the rear seats, would plywood create a weird height differential? I'm also hesitant because I don't have access to tools or a garage, so would have trouble customizing the size of the plywood to fit my car's interior.

I've been looking into thick rubber floor mats--there are a bunch online that look like they can be cut with scissors and customized, but I don't know how thick they are I'm not sure if they'd provide much protection. Has anyone used one of those?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Also--I've asked two questions on this forum so far and gotten immediate, helpful responses within like twelve hours of posting--you guys are great, really appreciate how helpful people here have been! :^)

Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
If it was me?
I would just take a walk in your local Home Depot or Home Depot like store.
You could easily just visit a few aisles and see several materials and options and then decide if they fit your budget, DIY ability, and/or time to commit parameters.

Everything from Plywood, to carpeting, to plastic matting materials and even just tarps and drop clothes.

You could look for inspiration.
If you don't have a lot of tools, time or DIY aspirations. Keeping it simple, and maybe not something that is the final solution, would be my advice.

Nearly anything to shore up the floor, and nearly anything you could throw down to protect the carpeting, interior would help.

For my usual needs, I have the OEM cargo tray, which is great for day to day groceries, etc.
I carry with me a folded up canvas drop cloth, which I can spread out over the entire area, if I find myself transporting something bigger or more substantial.

This is NOT a heavy duty solution. But it fits my usual usage and most common needs.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM
I dunno what you are putting in the rear trunks but I have loaded it up to 300 plus pounds everyweek for my work. Nothing have broken yet. The cheap foam under the cargo is still unbroken.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 AM
You could make a new reinforcement out of carbon fiber using the following instructable Vacuum Bagging Basics: 16 Steps You would be the coolest fit around when you pop the hatch.