3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New to Fit: Is this car right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by nobdy
Can you stand driving a sedan?
I don't think so honestly, I can't see myself in one. It's not me. You're right, there really is nothing thats quite like a Fit. I don't have a second option because I only really trust Honda's and Toyota's. I've heard time and time again those are the 2 most reliable brands.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Magic seats

When I carry bikes in my Fit, if they are smaller, I fold the Magic Seat cushions up and just put two bikes facing opposite directions. This leaves you the entire rear cargo area for other stuff. Disadvantage of doing it this way: stuff gets muddy.

Our friends have the exact same Fit we do and keep their kayak rack on all the time and take their kayaks out pretty regularly. They're short like you and me.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
If you get a hitch, for a bike rack, your mpg won't get hit as hard as if you had a roof rack on the car. You'll also be able to use the hitch to tow a small trailer with the kayak when you decide to do that instead.

Two bikes, with front wheels off, will usually fit in the back with the seats folded up or down.

Since you'll have a sunroof on the ex, you'll be able to purge the heat from the car a lot quicker, but the ac is still kinda weak. You'll definitley want dark tinting on the back and some lighter tinting on the front to help with that. Just make sure you get ceramic tint, since the cheap stuff doesn't reduce heat that well.

Climbing hills is not that bad in this little guy. Used to do a commute with a steep incline for 5 miles.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I can not honestly recommend a Honda Fit or any other Honda for that matter to anyone anymore. JUST search through the form and see some of the potential problems that ppl been having with increasing mileage. Not to say you will have them, but its a gamble.

I like the size of the car, the MPG, and the pricing point, but the Engineering behind it is just plain Lazy and sub par for a 2015+ vehicle.

My advice, go with Toyota or Subaru. I wish I did. I just might still....

Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Westie
JUST search through the form and see some of the potential problems that ppl been having with increasing mileage.

Any car with a lot of miles and years on it is going to have some issues at some point. Honda or not.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I can not honestly recommend a Honda Fit or any other Honda for that matter to anyone anymore. JUST search through the form and see some of the potential problems that ppl been having with increasing mileage. Not to say you will have them, but its a gamble.
..... My advice, go with Toyota or Subaru. I wish I did. I just might still....
ROFL. Go over to the Toyota and Subaru forums and read about all the problems they are having with their cars. There's no such thing as a car forum absolutely filled with lavish praise for the perfect cars being produced by some wonderful manufacturer. There are problems with all manufacturers, some worse than others, and there's never any shortage of owners complaining about their problems. And yes, there are usually just as many owners saying good things about their cars. You have to keep your perspective and form a fair and balanced opinion. Don't let one individual sourpuss have too much influence over you.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
There are a couple people on here that carry kayaks, so search for older threads.

Alternates to the Fit include the Mazda3 (better handling, less hatch room, more expensive), Nissan Versa Note (less power, worse handling, only slightly less hatch room, same price), VW Golf (more power, slightly more hatch room, much more expensive). Check out the 2016 Consumers Reliability Report. Honda has been dropping in the past 3 years, so consider other vehicles.

A hitch-based bike rack is much more stable than those frames you put on the back of a sedan. They also scratch your car much less. I'd learn to take the front wheels off your bikes, then raise up the cushions of the rear seats and put the 2 bikes in sideways. There is lots of room. Taking the front wheels off your bikes is very easy. They are made to do this. Any hitch bike rack or even worse, roof rack, will reduce your gas mileage.

You really need to go for a test drive. Many of the questions you seek will be easily answered simply by touching the car. The fit is really great for those of us around 5', and might be cramped for the <6' people.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
If you're looking for other possibilities, here are two:

1) Toyota Corolla iM. Very well equipped for an amazing price--selling prices for the CVT model are about $17,500 currently, less than a Fit EX. It's a Toyota that's built in Japan, so reliability should be excellent. And they're on the smaller size for compact hatchbacks, so they're not too much bigger than a Fit. Compared to the Corolla sedan, the iM is a significant step up, particularly with the independent rear suspension.

2) Kia Soul. The base automatic especially is a great deal, about $16k (maybe less on leftover 2017 models). It's quieter and more refined than most cars in that price range, has 4-wheel disc brakes, and super-cold AC. Kia reliability is on par with Honda and Toyota these days; further, the Soul is still built in Korea, which is a plus. The Soul is wider and taller than the Fit, but about the same length. It doesn't have quite the same cargo versatility as the Fit (frankly, nothing does), but it has a nice vertical flat rear that should work well for a bike rack or hitch.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Honestly you can go bigger, like compact car, compact crossover, small SUV. They are not really any bigger inside. You have to go to midsize SUV to really feel the gain in size inside.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

I like the size of the car, the MPG, and the pricing point, but the Engineering behind it is just plain Lazy and sub par for a 2015+ vehicle.

My advice, go with Toyota or Subaru. I wish I did. I just might still....
i kinda agree.. honda the last decade had a bunch of quality issues which were not present on previous honda's. i can see people getting fed up with the false sense of security. i too kinda of got sick of hondas.. especially after killing the s2k there where no fun cars i wanted from them. if honda does not have the reliability it once had, why not get a car that offers more fun and power. not like honda's going to last that much longer anyway, right?

explore.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
I've driven Hondas since 1982, and my 2000 Civic EX coupe was the best car I ever owned, kept it for 16 years. But our 2016 Fit LX is the end of the line for me, we're trading it in on a 2017 VW Golf Wolfsburg Edition. The Fit is too uncomfortable (too little driver legroom, worst seats ever), noisy, rides too harshly, mediocre brakes, I hate the CVT...it just feels like a cheap car (which to be fair, it certainly is). There's no way I could see putting up with all its faults for another decade or more. The hideous styling of the new Civic hatchback (and its CVT transmission) made that a non-starter. VW's reputation for iffy reliability is worrisome, but the Golf drives fantastically well, so we're going to take a chance.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Just look at the drum brake, non multi-link rear suspension, Faulty DI fueling and let me know what you think about the Fit.

I'm all for Hondas, but just not the FIT. My failed Transmission mount at 5K miles, and the multiple creaks and squeeks in a 12K miles car kinda soured my experience with this vehicle.

Maybe they cleaned up the car for 2018 ???

Old 07-25-2017, 12:12 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i kinda agree.. honda the last decade had a bunch of quality issues which were not present on previous honda's. i can see people getting fed up with the false sense of security. i too kinda of got sick of hondas.. especially after killing the s2k there where no fun cars i wanted from them. if honda does not have the reliability it once had, why not get a car that offers more fun and power. not like honda's going to last that much longer anyway, right?
My 2015 Civic Si hasn't had a single problem in the 2 years and 70K I've owned it. So I'm going to take a chance on a Fit as my 3rd car. The 2018 is only a refresh and the bugs of the 2015 have been worked out by now. I only drive manual so I have no worries about the CVT.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
how about trading in your civic Si and getting the current gen Si? that would be a good upgrade unless you have to keep the 15' Si for some reason... (?). or even the civic hb sport?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:13 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
how about trading in your civic Si and getting the current gen Si? that would be a good upgrade unless you have to keep the 15' Si for some reason... (?). or even the civic hb sport?
I actually rushed to buy my 2015 because I knew the Si was going turbo and I wanted an NA K-Series. lol. Having said that I do like the new Si a lot except the coupe looks far better than the sedan (my 2015 is a sedan) but I am disappointed that it didn't get the detuned 2.0 Type R engine the 2018 Accord is getting.

I need the ability to haul my mountain bike around and the Civic hatchback won't allow me to do that, a Fit will. Also for the price of a loaded Civic hatch I can get the Si anyway. So that, combined with cost are my main reasons for leaning towards a 2018 Fit Sport. I have zero interest in an crossover or SUV.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
My 2015 Civic Si hasn't had a single problem in the 2 years and 70K I've owned it. So I'm going to take a chance on a Fit as my 3rd car. The 2018 is only a refresh and the bugs of the 2015 have been worked out by now. I only drive manual so I have no worries about the CVT.
No problems whatsoever with my early 2015 Fit. Nor the two friends who own Fits. Hardly scientific, but you'll likely be fine.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
I actually rushed to buy my 2015 because I knew the Si was going turbo and I wanted an NA K-Series. lol. Having said that I do like the new Si a lot except the coupe looks far better than the sedan (my 2015 is a sedan) but I am disappointed that it didn't get the detuned 2.0 Type R engine the 2018 Accord is getting.

I need the ability to haul my mountain bike around and the Civic hatchback won't allow me to do that, a Fit will. Also for the price of a loaded Civic hatch I can get the Si anyway. So that, combined with cost are my main reasons for leaning towards a 2018 Fit Sport. I have zero interest in an crossover or SUV.
i see, understandable for hardcore NA K-series fans.
sounds like you got a solid plan there for your hauling needs.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
No problems whatsoever with my early 2015 Fit. Nor the two friends who own Fits. Hardly scientific, but you'll likely be fine.
I think you are right and I trust Honda and Toyota with a first year car more than most but usually still shy away from them.

i see, understandable for hardcore NA K-series fans.
sounds like you got a solid plan there for your hauling needs.
I think so. If only Honda Canada would hurry up and release the details on the 2018 Fit Sport so I can order one. I need it before October and won't settle on colour, trim or transmission.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
...If only Honda Canada would hurry up and release the details on the 2018 Fit Sport so I can order one. I need it before October and won't settle on colour, trim or transmission.
Just a point of reference, when we bought our 2016 Fit we ordered mid Oct 2015, we were told the car was already built, on a railway car and in transit to Canada. Car was delivered end of Nov 2015. You might be a little too premature for an Oct 2017 date, especially with a new spec.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Just a point of reference, when we bought our 2016 Fit we ordered mid Oct 2015, we were told the car was already built, on a railway car and in transit to Canada. Car was delivered end of Nov 2015. You might be a little too premature for an Oct 2017 date, especially with a new spec.
If I can order it in August then expecting it in October shouldn't be premature. Espcially when I want a Orange Fury Fit Sport with a manual. Nothing too crazy. A friend of mine special ordered his BMW from Germany and had it in less than 3 months. The plant should be building 2018's by now or starting very soon.

Quick Reply: New to Fit: Is this car right for me?