3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New to Fit: Is this car right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Honda US news release dated July 18:

"The sporty and versatile new 2018 Honda Fit will begin to arrive at Honda dealerships today ..."

So if the American dealers are starting to get stock now I don't think Canada should be too far behind in spite of a lack of information being released by Honda Canada.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Honda US news release dated July 18:

"The sporty and versatile new 2018 Honda Fit will begin to arrive at Honda dealerships today ..."

So if the American dealers are starting to get stock now I don't think Canada should be too far behind in spite of a lack of information being released by Honda Canada.
Honda Canada is hoping that people don't read the Internet as their lack of information could have to do with the fact that according to Auto Trader there are 405 brand new 2016 and 2017 Fits on dealer lots across Canada. Gas is cheap so everyone is buying pickup trucks. Not to mention a Civic is actually cheaper as it has a better APR and an incentive on it. It just can't haul my bike.

What's interesting is that of those 405 cars, only 44 of them are manuals. Honda dropped the manual on the EX trim for 2017, which is what I originally wanted and there are some new 2016 EX 6-speeds floating around but I want CarPlay.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
405 cars in Canada isn't all that much, less than a 30 day supply, but you're right that people are buying large vehicles, like trucks and SUVs because gas is so cheap.

Honda Fit Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, you buy a hitch 1-1/2" for $100, have it installed. Then buy a hitch mounted bike rack, Swagman, Thule, Saris etc. I haven't done it yet, but that's my plan, and research.

go to etrailer.com

Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM
1.)Unless you ride a LWB recumbent (like I do), you can get 2 bikes in just fine.
2.)The AC is a bit anemic; could definitely be an issue in Fla. Tinting should really help.
3.)There aren't any bridges (or mountains!) in Fla that the Fit can't handle. I pull loooong steep climbs in my Fit in 5th gear on cruise, and it's not kicked me outta cruise mode yet.
4.)That said, a MT is definitely way preferable for a lot of mountain driving, which would not be an issue for you.
5.)Knowing the Fit like I do, I think you'd do yourself a disservice if you don't check out that new hatchback Corolla and Kia Soul, just two alternatives mentioned that have also caught my eye.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Omg sorry you guys, I thought a hitch was like a trailer or something and I didn't want that.

So bike hitches work? I'd like that.
https://www.rackattack.com/img/photo...907_125344.jpg

So yes, you can

Old 09-21-2017, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Another concern of mine is every day I go to work I have to go up a steep bridge, is this car powerful enough to go up a bridge at 45 MPH?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I really hope this car can work out for us. I really like this car.
No worries on asking us too many questions!

Oh of course! My Fit had no problem doing the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Right now I am driving around a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. I hate it and it's about to break down and die at any moment. I've never owned a new car before and I've been considering a Fit for a while now. I have my heart set on a new 2018 Honda Fit EX CVT but I have some questions to know if it's really right for me.

I like this car mostly because of its size, I like small cars. I am a very short person, only 5'0, so I feel like I'm driving a tank in a bigger car and it makes me uncomfortable. I also like the gas mileage it gets, way better than my current car.

Things that worry me about this car is that me and my SO like to do sporty things on the weekend like ride our bikes. Can this car support 2 bicycles without bringing down the gas mileage too much? Also, we don't own a Kayak yet but in the future we've been wanting to purchase a tandem Kayak. Is this car too small to tow something like this or have on the roof? Keep in mind this would only be a weekend thing. For the rest of the week it would be for work and personal use.

I also worry about the A/C. We live in South Florida and I hear the A/C in these things is really weak. We haven't test driven one yet so I can't confirm this. I worry that if it's true and we have to have the A/C on full blast all the time that we won't get good gas mileage.

Speaking of Florida and heat, I'm really considering this car in Modern Steel Metallic. Am I going to regret it big time? I really do not want a white car.

Another concern of mine is every day I go to work I have to go up a steep bridge, is this car powerful enough to go up a bridge at 45 MPH?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I really hope this car can work out for us. I really like this car.
I realize this thread is 2 months old but I have a little bit of input. I have a 2008 Fit Sport that I bought when I still lived in Miami/Ft Lauderdale. I used to work as a children's entertainer working birthday parties. I traded in a Honda Element when gas was around $4 per gallon and got my Fit. My husband also had a Fit, so I was able to do a working test run with all of my work gear using his car. I have never carried bikes or a kayak, but the Fit is easily the most utilitarian sub compact available, and probably more utilitarian than any compact or mid-sized car available. (Car, not SUV or crossover.)

The a/c was (is) adequate. But no worse than any other car I have owned (Toyota Tercel, Honda CRV, Honda Element). I grew up in south Florida and down there anything hotter than 94 degrees is disgusting. I now live in Connecticut and 94 in south Florida is comparable to 100+ up here. When it's that hot it's going to take longer to get the cabin comfortable. That's just a fact of life living in south Florida. The Fit has enough power to get you over any bridge in the state. I drove mine over every causeway from Key Biscayne up to Delray Beach with no problems.

I'm 5'2" and my husband is 5'10". We are not fans of big vehicles. We both feel comfortable with the way the driver's seat is situated. We both love our Fits. He traded in his 2008 Sport manual transmission for a 2011 automatic due to knee issues. I still have my 2008 Sport. It has 90,000+ miles on it and I would keep it, but most of this year I battled an injury on my left hip and I'm pretty much done with manual transmission. I'm planning on a 2018 EX CVT within the next 6 months.

Get whatever color you like. In the south Florida heat I'm not convinced that any color would make much difference. (Although I personally couldn't bring myself to get black or red as they tend to oxidize badly in the intense sun exposure down there year round.)

The only other car I would consider in your position and given your interests would be a Subaru Crosstrek, but the pricepoint will be higher.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
My daughter is driving my fit around at college now, we drove it over the Rockies at almost 7000 feet from Oregon to Montana ,, no trouble at all cruising at the 80MPH speed limit in MT..
Got 35 to 40 MPG and she had the car PACKED solid. car has a curt hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack as well.

My daughter is 5'3 and loves the fit of the Fit..

Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wat these cars go 80mph?!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Curious what the OP finally decided on.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
probably dissing us from his bentley

Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Right now I am driving around a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. I hate it and it's about to break down and die at any moment. I've never owned a new car before and I've been considering a Fit for a while now. I have my heart set on a new 2018 Honda Fit EX CVT but I have some questions to know if it's really right for me.

I like this car mostly because of its size, I like small cars. I am a very short person, only 5'0, so I feel like I'm driving a tank in a bigger car and it makes me uncomfortable. I also like the gas mileage it gets, way better than my current car.

Things that worry me about this car is that me and my SO like to do sporty things on the weekend like ride our bikes. Can this car support 2 bicycles without bringing down the gas mileage too much? Also, we don't own a Kayak yet but in the future we've been wanting to purchase a tandem Kayak. Is this car too small to tow something like this or have on the roof? Keep in mind this would only be a weekend thing. For the rest of the week it would be for work and personal use.

I also worry about the A/C. We live in South Florida and I hear the A/C in these things is really weak. We haven't test driven one yet so I can't confirm this. I worry that if it's true and we have to have the A/C on full blast all the time that we won't get good gas mileage.

Speaking of Florida and heat, I'm really considering this car in Modern Steel Metallic. Am I going to regret it big time? I really do not want a white car.

I have a 2009 sport which I mostly love
Pros
Can park anywhere and turning radius is amazing
My brother is over 6ft and so is my nephew and they are comfortable in the car, so for a subcompact it has a lot of room inside and good headroom
I think it has the best visibility
I live in NY city, so it is all traffic all the time, and I still get about 31-32 mpg
You can fit a lot in here with the magic seats
Very reliable - battery replaced, but that is normal

Cons
Low ground clearance (steep driveway, and potholes and such are all ouchies) the skirt is a bit of a mess.
AC is wimpy (and I am always cold). We just had a couple 95+ days and it was not fun. I have heard the newer models are a bit better but I don't know that for sure
Power is a little anemic- for me no a big deal but it is not a zippy car.
It sucks in the snow and in high winds.
Paint is really easily damaged