3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto Journalist buys 2008 Honda Fit for her own car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Auto Journalist buys 2008 Honda Fit for her own car

This will be unsurprising to those of us on this board, the Fit has great engineering. Some negatives include the "mouse fur" carpeting!

And so it was that I ended up with the keys to a 2008 Honda Fit Sport. While the newer Fit is more powerful, roomier, and has a wealth of technology and creature comforts; the first generation car was a heck of a lot sportier. Turns out that the average budget car buyer wants a more cushioned ride, and prefers a gearbox that delivers better fuel numbers over snappier shifts. It’s still hands-down my top choice in its class, but the third generation’s refinement came at the expense of fun.
The right Fit: Putting my money where my mouth is | Driving

Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Crap. I better sell my Fit. It's a girl's car.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-26-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member

"Tardis-like" . . . huh, I learned something.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Crap. I better sell my Fit. It's a girl's car.
hahaha!!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
The article also highlights how little journalists are paid since most of them are indeed running around in 10-20 year old beaters. Remember that the next time they say car-whatever is "game changing" and what not. Also remember that the Automotive Journalists Association of Canada once named the Dodge Neon, Ford Focus, PT Cruiser and Chevrolet Cruze, Canadian Cars of the Year.

Some great reading about AJAC here:

What Does an Auto Press Assoc. Do with $306,000 of Automaker Cash?

AJAC Is Ditching Its $300,000 Journalist Track Day ? For You

Disclosure: I did it part time for a couple of years a decade ago while in school and while it was fun you have to pay your own gas and sometimes you end up making nothing. I also interviewed a couple of years ago at TTAC because I admire their journalistic integrity. I met and worked with a lot of Canadian journalists and some Amercian ones too as I worked for an OEM in PR for a while. While most are awesome people there are some egotistical douchebags. lol. As for the writer who wrote the linked article, I have friends who know her and by all accounts she is an enthusiast and pretty nice person. I liked her article on the Fit and usually like her articles. There needs to be more female writers.

In some ways I wish I'd gotten the job at TTAC but it's probably best I didn't as I've become pretty jaded about cars in general. Horsepower figures are getting stupid and any idiot can mash the gas pedal in a straight line. They are getting easier to drive and most cars quite often also lack character and soul. The market is full of stuff like SUV's, trucks and crossovers because that's what the market buys but I have little to no interest in them at all. They are boring, crammed with technology I don't want or care about and automatic transmissions. If I wanted a car full of technology, I'd buy a Tesla because at least it actually is game changing.

It used to be that you could buy something fun for little money and had a lot of choice but that's no longer the case. A few examples aside they don't make cars for enthusiasts anymore and it's getting worse every single year. I'm buying a Fit because of sticker shock and it's all the car I need. Before joining this forum, I thought about getting another Tacoma (I sold my 2013 TRD Off Road model 2 years ago) but the new one is $8K more than my model was and I have no interest in paying $40-50K and up for a vehicle. That's a $7-800 a month car payment. Nope.

I also think that the sway of journalists has greatly diminished. While it's interesting to read what some have to say, I turn to the user forums to see what actual owners love/hate about a car (that is why I am here) and most importantly, to help gauge potential long term reliability.

I will admit that it helps that I own a modified MX-5 as it helps scratch my enthusiast itch. It is so pure it makes everything else seem bloated and boring. There is nothing under 100K I would get rid of this car for.

Last edited by sjd; 07-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
They don't paid very much, even the ones with lots of credentials with mags experiences. But, I know a good one. He gets invited to Stuttgart, or somewhere in Portugal to try out new Porsche, booked a very nice hotels, etc. Now, is he going to write something bad about Porsche? Not.

Also, remember they are handed out a whole package of "media information" including all aspect about the cars, handling, speed, spec, tech info. They can be the worst car testers, but be very creative, ghost write a very appealing story with lots of personalized photos and call it a day. However, when I need an opinion of super hot cars, I ask for his opinion because he has driven a lot more Porsche than I ever had. I agree, journalists have various opinions depending on their lifestyles and values. Their attitudes can be very one sided, what you don't like this car? What's wrong with you? Typically, the journalist you like is the one who shares your opinions.

Last edited by wasserball; 08-02-2017 at 07:34 AM.