3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Confusing MSRP discrepancy on the 2017 CVT LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Confusing MSRP discrepancy on the 2017 CVT LX

I'm shopping for a 2017 CVT LX at the moment, and I noticed that some have a listed MSRP of $17,765 and some have $17,625. I've seen this on the websites for several different dealers in my area. 2 cars at a specific dealer will be exactly the same (identical Trim, Color, transmission, model year), but one will have an MSRP $140 lower. I've tried asking the reps at several dealerships but have yet to get a straight answer; just keep getting asked to come in.

I know the "official" MSRP of is $17,765, so why do some show an MSRP $140 cheaper? Does anyone happen to know the source of this discrepancy?

For reference, here are 2 listings (from the same dealer) that demonstrate what I'm talking about:

New 2017 Honda Fit For Sale Hatchback White Orchid Pearl | Sanford FL JHMGK5H53HS014656 HS014656

New 2017 Honda Fit For Sale Hatchback White Orchid Pearl | Sanford FL JHMGK5H55HS022435 HS022435

Old 07-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah don't worry too much about the MSRP and go in, name your price. that will get you where u want to be sooner..or not. but will give you a real world OTD price. i don't bother with online negotiation

Old 07-27-2017, 04:42 PM
I understand that; the sticker isn't what I will actually pay. I just want to know if there is any difference at all between the $17,765 car and the $17,625 car. I've looked at the spec sheets and they seem to be identical. But I figure there must be SOME reason one is being marked $140 below MSRP. I just wouldn't want to buy one and find out afterward that it was missing something.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by person118
I just wouldn't want to buy one and find out afterward that it was missing something.
Maybe something got lifted on the train ride from Mexico? J/K, but, yeah, MSRP is BS so pay it no mind

Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by person118
I understand that; the sticker isn't what I will actually pay. I just want to know if there is any difference at all between the $17,765 car and the $17,625 car. I've looked at the spec sheets and they seem to be identical. But I figure there must be SOME reason one is being marked $140 below MSRP. I just wouldn't want to buy one and find out afterward that it was missing something.
yah, could be accessories (wheels locks, trunk liner, extra floor mats, splash guards, dealer installed misc bits, etc)? not sure but dont worry about it, $140 is nothing anyway on a car. just go there and sit down talk to them about price ure willing to pay and go from there.

GL!

Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
No guessing here. In Jan 2017, the base price of the LX went up to $16,090 (was $15,990) CVT Automatic continues to be $800, no change. Destination and Handling increased to $875 (was $835) Total MSRP as built $17,765. The lower price you see are cars that were mfg before the price increase.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-27-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
but wat caused the price increase? let's dig deeper and wider..

Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
It's called "inflation", where over time, your currency buys less and less.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
not exchange rate for imported parts?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

Because Honda bean counters believe there are enough buyers even with a price increase.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-27-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm..so the dealership doesn't care about the $140 difference and just wants you to come in?
What a surprise.

$140, could be anything...or nothing.
If you compared the two window stickers and went line by line you could probably find the difference.

Dealerships want to sell you a vehicle. If you are serious about purchasing, I'm relatively sure if you pointed out the discrepancy and said you weren't going to pay the $140 difference, it would mysteriously disappear.

A lot of times, there are mysterious mark-ups and fee's, sometimes port installed dealer add ons..
There is often a shell game going on.
I really wouldn't sweat a $140 difference, I'd just point out that you want the cheaper price, unless someone can explain exactly what you are paying $140 for..
My guess is you'd get that discount...easily.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
.... and we are back to Post#2 again.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
That $140 difference reminds me of what happened early last year when I shopped around for my '16 LX.

I was playing the internet game. Got an initial price from the Costco buying program as a starting point. Then I emailed all the dealers within my area and told them what I wanted - LX, no options, Aegean Blue. I told them the best offer gets my business.

A dealer 50 mi. away - the outer limit of how far I was willing to travel to purchase a vehicle - actually gave me the best quote. But before I set out for that dealer, they tried to pull a fast one on me - insisted on a Honda floor mat set at another $150. They actually told me, we've never lost a sale because someone didn't want our mat set. I told them, there's a first time for everything, and refused to sign an offer if they didn't remove the mats. They said no way. I said fine, then took my business to the next low bidder, and they got my business. Worked out great for me, and I didn't have to travel 50 mi., maybe about 10 mi.

I've seen all kinds of ways dealers try to jack up the price. I remember one vehicle long ago where there was a separate sticker on the car with a mysterious add-on: ADM. When I asked what that was, they said: Additional Dealer Markup. Junk fee.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Something Afoul is underfoot!

Originally Posted by bargainguy
That $140 difference reminds me of what happened early last year when I shopped around for my '16 LX.

I was playing the internet game. Got an initial price from the Costco buying program as a starting point. Then I emailed all the dealers within my area and told them what I wanted - LX, no options, Aegean Blue. I told them the best offer gets my business.

A dealer 50 mi. away - the outer limit of how far I was willing to travel to purchase a vehicle - actually gave me the best quote. But before I set out for that dealer, they tried to pull a fast one on me - insisted on a Honda floor mat set at another $150. They actually told me, we've never lost a sale because someone didn't want our mat set. I told them, there's a first time for everything, and refused to sign an offer if they didn't remove the mats. They said no way. I said fine, then took my business to the next low bidder, and they got my business. Worked out great for me, and I didn't have to travel 50 mi., maybe about 10 mi.

I've seen all kinds of ways dealers try to jack up the price. I remember one vehicle long ago where there was a separate sticker on the car with a mysterious add-on: ADM. When I asked what that was, they said: Additional Dealer Markup. Junk fee.
Glad you had the resolve to back out of the deal.
I'm not unhappy about the deal I got. The overall price was fair. BUT...my dealership was even worse. They 'provided" BOTH floormats...all weather and carpet.
Since I really only wanted the All Weather, I should of complained more. I think obviously the "convienence" of providing both, was just a way to boost up the profit margin slightly.
When I did mention that I really wasn't interested in getting both sets? I got a similar spiel about how it at this dealership they "automatically" provided both as part of the package, and also similarly how nobody every complained about getting both.
Really the carpet in the Fit is so thin, that floormats IMO are a must. BUT...dealerships should be upfront about the fact that you are buying them, and since there are a lot of great aftermarket choices now, allowing the option to pass, at a lower price should be what is automatic.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
actually my dealer gave me both as well at no extra charge when i bought my wife's GK.

funny is VW also gave me 2 sets of floor mats on both my GTI and R. i think theyre just giving them away nowdays. lol

Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
As far as mats go, I did much better by refusing the first dealer's mats. I got a front set of the Aries 3D mats for ~$58 including shipping using a 25% off coupon from JC Whitney. (Don't need the rears, my back seats have been down since I got the vehicle.) Like them a lot, no problems, they don't slip around like some mats I've owned. Pic here in post #29:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...016-fit-2.html

Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
actually my dealer gave me both as well at no extra charge when i bought my wife's GK.

funny is VW also gave me 2 sets of floor mats on both my GTI and R. i think theyre just giving them away nowdays. lol
I don't believe dealerships are giving anything away.
Even when you get the "Free Floormats" you're paying for them somewhere.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I don't believe dealerships are giving anything away.
Even when you get the "Free Floormats" you're paying for them somewhere.
wat im saying is that the prices of floor mats are minuscule it has really no significance whether they include another one or not.

i mean if floor mats are wat is triggering ur buying decision, then that person is doing it wrong.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
wat im saying is that the prices of floor mats are minuscule it has really no significance whether they include another one or not.

i mean if floor mats are wat is triggering ur buying decision, then that person is doing it wrong.
Well, IMO good custom fit liners or mats aren't exactly cheap.
I agree that it shouldn't be triggering you buying decision.

But a lot of years in automotive websites has shown me that what actually makes a difference sometimes in whether someone purchases one vehicle or the other? Can be that trivial.

I've heard people pick one vehicle, costing thousands more, over another vehicle costing thousands less, because one dealership "throws in floormats" or one vehicle has more cup holders.

A few years back I was looking for a good automotive body shop in my area. I scoured reviews. So many positive reviews I had to throw out, because they had NOTHING to do with the quality of the work.

Many of the reviews were "This Body Shop is great. They offered me free coffee and donuts, and the estimator was so friendly".

Sometimes it's the same with vehicles. People will make HUGE decisions based on trivial additions or differences.

I've read far fewer, I walked out of a deal because the dealership wouldn't throw in floormats, and far more....I got the "Deal of The Century" because The Dealership "supposedly" did throw in free floor mats.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
No guessing here. In Jan 2017, the base price of the LX went up to $16,090 (was $15,990) CVT Automatic continues to be $800, no change. Destination and Handling increased to $875 (was $835) Total MSRP as built $17,765. The lower price you see are cars that were mfg before the price increase.
This appears to be the correct answer. I bought yesterday (before reading this reply), and sure enough it was a 17,625 MSRP model. I just looked inside the door jamb for the manufacturing date: December 2016. I think the specs are the same, but now I'm worried that I bought a "new" car that was manufactured 8 months ago. Is this a big deal? Granted, this was a J VIN, so it had to be shipped from Japan to Florida. Not sure of the turnaround time from when manufacturing is completed to when it is actually put on the lot for sale at a dealership.

Quick Reply: Confusing MSRP discrepancy on the 2017 CVT LX