3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Splash Shield - First Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Splash Shield - First Attempt

Although I was going to use nuts and bolts to hold the rear of the splash shield in place, I though pins and clips might work. Although they hold the rear of the shield in place, they are loose, so it will rattle. I'm going to get 1" x 3/8" bolts and use my original idea.

I cut the pins to just under 1". There is less room to insert the pin on the driver's side, so it was tricky. I Inserted a washer and clip to hold the pin in place. Then I installed the shield , followed by another washer and pin. I expect the bolts to work much better.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
If your only problem is the rattle, that's a solvable problem. You could cut yourself a foam or rubber washer to go under the metal one.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF
If your only problem is the rattle, that's a solvable problem. You could cut yourself a foam or rubber washer to go under the metal one.
Yes, I thought about putting rubber in there. Foam would hold moisture. I just changed oil, filter, CVT fluid, and coolant, so I won't have to remove that shield for quite a while.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
kinda like a rc car body clip thing going on there..

it won't rust and break off?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
kinda like a rc car body clip thing going on there..

it won't rust and break off?
Rust would be a concern, but these won't be on very long. I'm going to replace them with 3/8" bolts, hopefully brass or stainless.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Is this in an attempt to avoid using the plastic push rivet fasteners?

I bought a BIG bag of them off Amazon and just pull them out with no mercy now. One yank with needle nose pliers and they are out. Then I just replace with a new one. Probably costs me $.05 each time, but oh well.

They are ALL over the car. Think I have replaced every single one of them at least once now with multiple bumper and trim panel removals.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
but what would that do to silverEX's efforts thus far?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddF
foam continuously exposed to dry/wet and hot/cold environment would deteriorate very quickly. Is there a way to replace those plastic expansion screws with solid ones like the other 6? When the dealer changed the oil, I told them to leave the splash guard off. Some will say that is not a good idea, but what ever the consequences might be, I am willing to take that risk rather than having to deal with it every time I change the oil. So, mine looks brand new.

Last edited by wasserball; 08-12-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
^ you can probably find a buyer for it locally.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Is this in an attempt to avoid using the plastic push rivet fasteners?

I bought a BIG bag of them off Amazon and just pull them out with no mercy now. One yank with needle nose pliers and they are out. Then I just replace with a new one. Probably costs me $.05 each time, but oh well.

They are ALL over the car. Think I have replaced every single one of them at least once now with multiple bumper and trim panel removals.
Do you have a link for them? I paid about a dollar a piece at the local dealer. They are different from other plastic plugs on the car, but maybe those other plugs will work. Are these what your got?

https://smile.amazon.com/Fastener-Cl...stic+fasteners

Last edited by SilverEX15; 08-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Here are the ones I ordered last time...
Amazon Amazon

You can also get 100 for $10 instead. I didn't think I'd need more than 40 so I went with the smaller bag. 40 was enough to replace every fastener on the front bumper, rear bumper, and all splash guards. Probably have about enough to do them all one more time.

If the ones you found are truly stronger, probably worth the extra money. The ones I ordered are either equal to or slightly weaker than the factory ones. I just see them as one time use. If they last longer...great.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Here are the ones I ordered last time...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also get 100 for $10 instead. I didn't think I'd need more than 40 so I went with the smaller bag. 40 was enough to replace every fastener on the front bumper, rear bumper, and all splash guards. Probably have about enough to do them all one more time.

If the ones you found are truly stronger, probably worth the extra money. The ones I ordered are either equal to or slightly weaker than the factory ones. I just see them as one time use. If they last longer...great.
Okay, but I meant the splash shield under the engine, the thing you remove to change the oil. The two fasteners at the rear of that are different from the ones on the fenders, etc.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
right, which gen Fit are u talking about GAFIT?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
My bad! I was thinking of the splash shields on our GD. They are held on by those push rivet fasteners, but the shield doesn't even need to be removed for oil changes.

My Lincoln has a full shield and the rear fasteners are similar to Dzus fasteners.
Wonder if that style would work for your needs?

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
yah, the GK uses different tabs. the 2 on the rear which SilverEX's been making his mods are fragile and a pita to work on when/if grit gets into the thread. its those plastic tabs with a screw you need to undo to release the tab.. and that screw easily gets caught and dont screw out when turned cc..

i bang the shroud to loosen all grit, then put zero force on the screw and turn very gently and it usually unscrews..but it's the undercarriage of a car. shouldnt be that delicate to work on to begin with!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I got ticked off after the Honda dealer didn't replace half the fasteners after my Wife's first oil change/tire rotation (which apparently was NOT free like they said it would be and they didn't even reset the TPMS) so the undertray was flopping all over the place. I changed all the crappy fasteners over to 8mm speed nuts and fat 10mm hex head flange bolts similar to what my mazda3 had. I just thread a normal zip tie through the frame holes for the rear section. It's a good 2-3" loop but it stays tight and to my knowledge there are no rattles. I just snip them off when I need to change the oil.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tinn-Can
I got ticked off after the Honda dealer didn't replace half the fasteners after my Wife's first oil change/tire rotation (which apparently was NOT free like they said it would be and they didn't even reset the TPMS) so the undertray was flopping all over the place. I changed all the crappy fasteners over to 8mm speed nuts and fat 10mm hex head flange bolts similar to what my mazda3 had. I just thread a normal zip tie through the frame holes for the rear section. It's a good 2-3" loop but it stays tight and to my knowledge there are no rattles. I just snip them off when I need to change the oil.
Volume is the name of the game. Get 'em in, and get 'em out.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I applaud your efforts, but I am concerned about the hitch clip getting knocked out. I see you live in snow country. Last year I drove for an hour drove in snow ruts as my car rubbed its shield on a plateau of crusty slush. I was worried that something would catch an edge and tear the shield off. Luckily it remained connected to the car. I'm not sure a hitch would have survived my experience.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I applaud your efforts, but I am concerned about the hitch clip getting knocked out. I see you live in snow country. Last year I drove for an hour drove in snow ruts as my car rubbed its shield on a plateau of crusty slush. I was worried that something would catch an edge and tear the shield off. Luckily it remained connected to the car. I'm not sure a hitch would have survived my experience.
I need pliers to remove those clips, so if anything in Nature pulls them out, that would be more a concern than the splash shield.

On my son's Fit, I used those common, cheap, snap-in bumper attachment pins.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
I am sticking with zip ties. They are inexpensive and effective so far.

Quick Reply: Splash Shield - First Attempt