3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Magazine/website test drives 2018 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Magazine/website test drives 2018 Fit

I thought it might be fun to have a thread for media tests of the 2018 Fit. Here's the first I've seen, and it sounds pretty interesting.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/17648...t-first-drive/

Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
thing looks like a Nismo Fit.. lol

Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Really glad to see Honda trying to bring back some fun to the Fit!

We just bought a VW Golf after looking at a 2017 Fit Sport because we were way underwhelmed by the Fit. It was just a small, slow, loud, boring car.

Kept our Fit because we still love the GD. If Honda keeps trying we could very well end up with a second Fit someday.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
or get a GTI next and forget the Fit all together..

Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
That's likely unless Honda also puts the 1.5 turbo motor in the Fit.

We tried the Civic Sport Hatch, but you don't get any decent equipment in the Sport trim level. Infotainment system was subpar to even Kia. To get options you have to switch to the CVT and that will never happen at this house.

VW lets you pretty much get your choice of trim level with your choice of transmission. Seems simple to me, but it's a concept that eludes Honda.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
yah, my buddy mentioned this as well. he wanted the MT civic-hb sport but in a touring trim but the touring only offers AT.. i hear canadian touring comes with MT? not sure.

VW got this segment right as far as options go. too bad its not so spacey inside vs the GK even though they're about the same size.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
funny how a lot of folks talk about the volume knob. my cars have volume knobs but i only use my steering control..

Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
I use the steering wheel volume control more on this car than on any car previous, although I do like the volume knob on the dash - am not a fan of touchscreens, especially when driving.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I know I'm in the minority...I think.
But I'm really glad my Honda Fit DOESN'T have the volume knob.
98.9% of the time I use the steering wheel controls, and the few time I've used the touch screen, I like it. It works fine.
The rest of the time? I think it makes the dash look cleaner, sharper, more modern.

But also?
It's absence or inclusion wouldn't be a deal breaker for me in any case.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Have to say I'm indifferent overall. I much prefer a knob, but agree that as long as it has steering wheel controls, it doesn't matter.

One of our cars has a touch screen, a finger swipe, voice command, and steering wheel controls for the volume. Talk about redundancy! The swipe is the worst, but I just pretend it's not there and use the steering wheel controls.

I would not want a car with no knob or steering wheel controls though. The touchscreen takes too long to navigate.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
no voice recognition on this car you speak of? especially vw's voice rec is very good.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
I called it voice command. Was actually speaking of my Lincoln. It also includes a finger swipe thing for volume and fan speed.

Ford's voice recognition is spot on as well.

Honda's is very poor in comparison. Dad has a 2017 CR-V and in-laws have an Acura. Neither work as well as VW's or Fords.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
very clean look, but wow that is a confusing dash with two power buttons and all buttons looking very similar. the display icons need to be much bigger.. cant hit those buttons while driving.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
LOL...so true! What's worse is they aren't really buttons. It's all capacitive touch or whatever. Get close enough and you've selected the item. Thankfully the voice system is pretty amazing. I just hit the talk button on the steering wheel and tell it what I want.

"climate 69" - sets climate to 69 degrees
"navigation home" - sets navigation to home address and begins route
"kids bop radio" switches to sirius and tunes to kids bop radio station - my 6 yo's favorite command to yell when he hears the beep to talk

Those are just a few of the thousands of commands and it accepts short cuts or you can work your way through menus and menus of options.

The picture above is one I grabbed from the Internet. That screen is on the the radio setting. My favorite thing about this system vs others we have is the home screen that gives a snap shot of all 4 major functions. At a glance it shows what you're listening to, your phone setting and status, the navigation settings, and climate control including the setting for the seats and steering wheel. VW's lack a "home" screen which I think is a flaw.

That being said, VW's system functions near flawlessly.

Same can not be said of even the newest Honda stuff that only accepts a very limited number of commands and does not like shortcuts. My Dad is not very thrilled with the system in his 2017 CR-V EX. Sadly, that's with him coming from a Kia.

Edited to Add - Anyone that likes radio volume knobs would LOVE the older Fits! Biggest radio knob ever!

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- yah, having an upper tier car definitely has its benefits! that's cool that you can control everything by voice.

and LOL'ed at the GD's volume knob. brought back memories of my old GD where it all started! haha

Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Another magazine review...
2018 Honda Fit First Drive | Review | Car and Driver

More bits on the HFP / HPD version. That new orange does not look like the deep orange from the past.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 PM
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OnvJc8zMA

Planning on buying a 2018 E-XL. This video doesn't show the E-XL. I suppose it looks the same except it has leather seats. Going to test drive one soon.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Saw an '18 Sport yesterday at our Honda dealer. (it's next door to our new VW dealer)

The red trim was neat and the black wheels were OK, but tires looked ridiculously small still.

Overall, the car looked better. Just needs to be lower with wider wheels/tires to look as sporty as any other hatch in the market.

Huge pluses with it are price is reasonable, reliability is darn near guaranteed, and interior space/usability is best in class.

My Wife (who is a die hard Honda gal, Dad retired from Honda as chief engineer of the Murraysville, OH plant, etc) wouldn't get out of her Golf to look at it. Funny how times have changed.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Yeah, a GTI is only $10,000 more that a Fit where I live. Add some desirable options (18 inch wheels, bi-xenon lights) on the GTI and that grows to $14,000.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
I would not want a car with no knob or steering wheel controls though. The touchscreen takes too long to navigate.
The steering wheel controls aren't too bad but I wish they were also adding a tuning knob. Tuning through the radio stations with the touchscreen sucks and you can only program a certain number through the steering wheel.

Last edited by sjd; 08-13-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Magazine/website test drives 2018 Fit