3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit running too lean.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by albalake
Your story sounds so familiar. I don't know if you will have 58,000 miles before it happens again. In my case, I only had about 36,000 miles of use out of the second set of injectors before I was back in the same situation as before at 57,000 miles. After all the trouble shooting and process of elimination and investigation for a second go round in less than one year between full injector replacements, Honda America refused to concede that there might be an engineering/design problem going on. The Honda dealer addressed every one of their what ifs and they ruled out every other possible factor and basically it all came down to the cold hard fact that the Earth Dreams engine in my 2015 Fit has a serious defect. This engine does not have a PCV valve, it is just a tube. Pair that with the fact that there is no waste gate to trap the excess vapor and prevent it from coking up the valves, which is what it needs. Honda America would not hear it from me, or the dealership.... The Honda Engineer had one solution, put another set of injectors in it, and this time they charged me 30% of the cost and basically told me that the next issue is all mine to pay.... The Honda dealer was speechless. They knew, as well as I knew, this was just Honda kicking the can down the road. Honda America had no interest in getting to the cause and figuring out how to remedy the defect. All they wanted to do was treat the symptom again, for the third time. So I got screwed. I drive about 52K per year. The maintenance on that Fit was meticulous and documented. So, I had to fix it so it would run. Then I had to dump the car and take a loss on the trade in and get into something else that did not have the same design and history of DI carbon issues. So, now I hear that the Civic DI engines are coking up just like mine and the new recommendations from Honda America is a valve job every 30,000 miles, like that is normal. I have never had to have a valve job done on any vehicle I have ever owned and many were driven over 250K miles, with valves in good shape. So all the fuel savings go right into the cost of having to do a valve job every 30,000 miles which is preposterous.
Originally Posted by albalake
I hope someone from Honda America reads this because they are still running and hiding from this DI carbon problem. I just drive too many miles so I was probably one of the very first customers to get screwed on their Earth Dreams experimental engine. Everyone else who bought 2015 and 2016 Earth Dreams engines are now experiencing what I dealt with back in September of 2015 with my 2015 Fit. They still do not have a remedy. Instead Honda is pushing it off on their customers to pony up the money for a valve job every 30,000 miles. This is not fixed by adding Techroline to the tank every 5000 miles. If you research how this DI engine handles the fuel, or mis-handles fuel; where fuel touches and where fuel never reaches, you will understand why it makes no difference regarding the carbon build up on the valves. Do not be fooled.
I sense confusion here. I found absolutely no information from Honda stating to do a valve job every 30,000 miles.

A set of fuel injectors to fix the code is nothing like doing a valve job.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
It's not just Honda, but other manufacturers adopted DI earlier and have already come up with solutions.

My favorite is Ford's solution of using both DI and port injection.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
I sense confusion here. I found absolutely no information from Honda stating to do a valve job every 30,000 miles.

It's not a "valve job", but is a valve cleaning. BMW also suggests valve cleaning services. Not a cheap solution.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
So instead of ponying up $ to replace injectors ... better get a sub 10k mile engine from the wreckers and replace the whole thing. Or maybe just keep driving with 20mpg. Maybe it'll last a lifetime at that rate.

I also had injectors replaced at 16k miles... and I am glad I traded in at 80k before hell was about to brake loose again (like in the movies ... 'I was getting a bad feeling about it'). Engine was starting to eat up oil as well ... about half qt every 2k miles which is still not bad but was getting worst. Thing is ... I traded in for another GK. Guess I will be trading in once again once my warranty is up. A trade in every 3 years. Such is life.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by ezone

A relative bought a 2016 Civic with an Earth Dreams engine and her maintenance recommendations were recently changed to include a carbon removal from valves and valve seats aka: "valve job" at 30,000 mile intervals. So Honda America is now comfortable with trying to pass off to their customers that having coked up valves at 30,000 miles is normal and blasting carbon off valves every 30,000 miles is routine maintenance.... I don't know about your reasons to buy a Fit, but mine were based on economy and reliability, neither of which is satisfied when you have a car that requires carbon build up and performance issues be addressed every 30,000 miles and replacing injectors every 37,000 - 57,000 miles. So I guess you gotta buy one first before they tell you about the routine maintenance with the valves. I didn't even get the forewarning with my Fit back in 2015 - 2016 when I was dealing with the problem.

Last edited by albalake; 07-19-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Cleaning is NOT a valve job.

Valve job is lapping the valves and cutting new seats. That's machine shop work and completely different than cleaning valves.

I'm not saying it's a good thing that they have to be cleaned, but please do not call it a valve job. That is a completely different thing that requires removal of the cylinder head, disassembly of the valve train and service by a machine shop. Dealerships do not even do valve jobs.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Is that a dealer suggested valve maintenance or a manufacturer one? Dealers love to suggest all kinds of maintenance since the maintenance side of a dealership makes most of the money.

I'm at 62k on my 2015 and (knock on wood) it has not seen any CELs. Only maintenance I've had are OCI, oil/air filters a new set of tires at 40k and the CVT fluid change. I empathize for the owners that have had the CEL issues that required major repairs to be done. Nobody likes to pay 20k for a Honda and run into these issues.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
This high pressure fuel system combined with all this carbon nonsense ... sigh.
Guessing my next car will be port injected... nissan micra ftw. But I love the fit! Honda please don't break my heart.