General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit 2015 "Lemon"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Thumbs down Honda Fit 2015 "Lemon"

In the last 9 months I have had more problems with my 2015 Honda fit than I have ever experienced in the last 20 years of car ownership. These include:

At 31K, my car began to stutter on acceleration. This was a problem I brought it into service for at least 4 times and each time I was told either "there was no code" and/or "the problem could not be replicated." After 6 months of this, the car began to shake violently on acceleration. Finally, when I brought it in, a code came up and the spark plugs were replaced. This put a stop to the violent shaking, but the car still "hiccups" on acceleration.

At 37K, my car engine abruptly shut off when I was accelerating from 65 on the highway (at night) to get out of the way of another vehicle. The check engine light came on. After I coasted off the highway into the shoulder (luckily avoiding an accident), I was able to restart the car. When I brought it to the dealer for service, they told me they "could not replicate the issue and there was nothing they could do about this." There also was no code associated with the check engine light. (Btw, my ignition coil had already been replaced in the recall). I brought it back in and complained extensively--this time, they kept the car for a week. But they found nothing wrong claimed the car was "safe to drive."

Last week, at 47K, my car passenger side floor flooded with 2 inches of water during a rain storm (no windows/doors open, no driving through puddles, etc). When I brought it to the dealer, they said this was a "common problem!!!" (WHAT???) However, they never could find the source of the leak. Instead, they said they would keep my car to "dry it out." I got it back today and the floor is as wet as it was after I removed all the water myself two days ago with towels.

I am absolutely disgusted by this car and this situation! I have a vehicle that is two years old and and that is not only a danger to drive, but now has permanent water damage. It has been one headache after the next for the last 9 months and now is essentially a worthless piece of junk that no one will buy, given its history.

HOWEVER...from what I understand, so many people seem to love their Fits! Online reviews from consumers are generally glowing. It's one of the highest rated cars overall in professional online reviews. SO, I don't get it...what happened with mine???

I plan on selling the car, for whatever measly amount it's worth and trying to buy something that isn't going to cause me the same aggravation. BUT the Fit was really one of the few cars that fit my needs (I have 2 large dog crates I need to fit in the back AND get good gas mileage) and so many other people seem to love it. Is it crazy to consider buying another Fit? Or do I walk away now from what has been an entirely negative experience with both Honda's sales and service and try my luck elsewhere? For what it's worth, I had a car from Toyota for 10 years and I NEVER had any issues other than routine maintenance.

Your thoughts????

Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry you've gone through this level of aggravation with your vehicle. I've had my issues with my Fit, and like you have spent more time at dealerships getting them corrected or looked at than any previous vehicle. It's turned me off on the Honda brand. This is my first and probably last Honda, so will be going back to Toyota. I just took a 2500 mile road trip with my 04 4Runner that has 140k on the clock and it didn't skip a beat.

The Fit was built in a new plant in Mexico. So it's possible it wasn't built up to spec. Your car could have been built on an off day unfortunately. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. If I were you I'd sell and not look back. I wouldn't want to drive a car that I didn't think was reliable.

So far I haven't had any stuttering issues, but I'm only at 27k. There was a member on here who had 117k before he sold it because the O2 and CAT needed to be replaced. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-warning.html I don't think he mentioned any other major issues.

I've seen a thread on here where a couple people had the check engine lights come on and stalling issues, but for the most part it seems the Fit is reliable.

The older fits had issue with the door seals that would flood. So maybe check yours?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
trade it in for a 2016+ and look for a J-Vin. My mom's japan made Fit is spotless so far.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it can happen on any brand. We once had a 2005 Subaru Forester that was the worst lemon we ever owned, yet most Foresters earn stellar reviews.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
sorry you've had so many issues...

sounds like more of a dealer issue than a car issue (not saying that a car should get water in it, but it has been a known issue)... i wouldn't classify this as a lemon situation, but either a complaint to the service manager/owner or a dealer change is in order...

Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 PM
I sent a detailed letter to the manager of the dealership outlining my concerns. I received no response. When I spoke with my service representative in person, I was directed to an associate sales manager who shook my hand and passed me off to a sales representative who just gave me an offer to buy the car back (less than half the purchase price). That was it.

In discussing the situation with multiple friends and family members, I've been able to answer my own questions posed earlier. The issue was not just the car and the numerous problems that came up--I understand that any car can be a dud for whatever reason. But it was the way the service and sales department handled these concerns (constantly minimizing or trying to "normalize" them when they were clearly aberrant issues) that was the deal breaker for me. No one ever said, "Wow, this shouldn't be happening to you as a new car/Honda owner."

The last service person I met with (when my car flooded) actually told me, "It's totally normal for brand new vehicles to be in the shop with all kinds of issues. Otherwise, we wouldn't do so much business!" To me, that says your brand has problems.

For my part, I've decided to trade in this car and purchase something from another company. As much as the Fit was a great "fit" for my transportation needs, Honda was not. I hope other Honda owners experiences are different--I would not wish for anyone to have to go through what I did.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
Did you try another dealer? Some dealers have been known to give a "can't replicate problem car" the "fresh air and sunshine" treatment"; meaning, they park it outside for a period of time and do nothing (e.g. your wet carpet.) Best of luck w/ your sale.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CmcG
In the last 9 months I have had more problems with my 2015 Honda fit than I have ever experienced in the last 20 years of car ownership. These include:

At 31K, my car began to stutter on acceleration. This was a problem I brought it into service for at least 4 times and each time I was told either "there was no code" and/or "the problem could not be replicated." After 6 months of this, the car began to shake violently on acceleration. Finally, when I brought it in, a code came up and the spark plugs were replaced. This put a stop to the violent shaking, but the car still "hiccups" on acceleration.

At 37K, my car engine abruptly shut off when I was accelerating from 65 on the highway (at night) to get out of the way of another vehicle. The check engine light came on. After I coasted off the highway into the shoulder (luckily avoiding an accident), I was able to restart the car. When I brought it to the dealer for service, they told me they "could not replicate the issue and there was nothing they could do about this." There also was no code associated with the check engine light. (Btw, my ignition coil had already been replaced in the recall). I brought it back in and complained extensively--this time, they kept the car for a week. But they found nothing wrong claimed the car was "safe to drive."

Last week, at 47K, my car passenger side floor flooded with 2 inches of water during a rain storm (no windows/doors open, no driving through puddles, etc). When I brought it to the dealer, they said this was a "common problem!!!" (WHAT???) However, they never could find the source of the leak. Instead, they said they would keep my car to "dry it out." I got it back today and the floor is as wet as it was after I removed all the water myself two days ago with towels.

I am absolutely disgusted by this car and this situation! I have a vehicle that is two years old and and that is not only a danger to drive, but now has permanent water damage. It has been one headache after the next for the last 9 months and now is essentially a worthless piece of junk that no one will buy, given its history.

HOWEVER...from what I understand, so many people seem to love their Fits! Online reviews from consumers are generally glowing. It's one of the highest rated cars overall in professional online reviews. SO, I don't get it...what happened with mine???

I plan on selling the car, for whatever measly amount it's worth and trying to buy something that isn't going to cause me the same aggravation. BUT the Fit was really one of the few cars that fit my needs (I have 2 large dog crates I need to fit in the back AND get good gas mileage) and so many other people seem to love it. Is it crazy to consider buying another Fit? Or do I walk away now from what has been an entirely negative experience with both Honda's sales and service and try my luck elsewhere? For what it's worth, I had a car from Toyota for 10 years and I NEVER had any issues other than routine maintenance.

Your thoughts????
The 'stutter on acceleration' is from the CVT, the shutting off is most likely the Engine Control Module ECM Computer and may want the techs to replace that, the rainwater most likely came around the door seals. So, the Honda dealer is not giving you good information or is ignoring your complaints and hoping you go away. Call the regional or corporate and back it up in writing, and ask for either the parts be replaced or the car be replaced with the Japanese 2016. Its up to you........

Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
sorry you've had so many issues...

sounds like more of a dealer issue than a car issue (not saying that a car should get water in it, but it has been a known issue)... i wouldn't classify this as a lemon situation, but either a complaint to the service manager/owner or a dealer change is in order...
I would agree, if the dealer is bad, then any issue will be a problem that they will not fix or try to avoid. Had the same issue with Braman Honda in Miami, and they forgot some paperwork, so we walked back in and said here is the keys to the car, it still titled to Braman Honda and either you fix all the problems or give our money back. Bang! Problems were fixed and we drove that Honda Accord till a quarter of million miles then gave it to my nephew.....

Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm back again...because I really am torn about going to a different car. I have looked at some other options for cars with flat cargo areas that are also relatively fuel efficient (Toyota Prius C and Subaru Crosstrek). But I am just not completely thrilled with either (for various reasons). So, today, I decided to put another option on the table--which was to go to a different Honda dealer and see what options they could present me. They were very accommodating and could put me in a new 2016 FIT for 9K with the trade in. I just need to think about whether I want to take a chance on this car again... Statistically speaking, my chances of getting another stinker are low, right? Thoughts?

Reddogs...the "stutter on acceleration" was 98% resolved by the spark plug change, but I do think the CVT is funky. I test drove a new 2016 FIT today and was struck by how much smoother it drove than mine. Rainwater did not come in around door seal, as per "leak expert" that was brought in to look at the vehicle...but who knows. I don't want to keep it long enough to find out!

Do you think that contacting Honda corporate is worth my time? I just don't see them giving a hoot, since only 1 of the three issues happened during warranty. The other 2 were shortly after the warranty expired.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the aggravation you have experienced. Do you think that your car is an "aberration"? I'm at 130K and have yet to experience any significant problems at all (2010 Fit Sport).