3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Detailed Pictures of OEM Cargo Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Detailed Pictures of OEM Cargo Cover

I just got my fit 2 weeks ago, and like most people I don't want to pay OEM prices for the cargo cover. I have some CAD experience and access to a 3D printer and large plotter, so I would like to look into building my own, and then posting plans and pics here. I want it to fit like the OEM one however, so if possible would someone be able to get me some pictures. Here is the list of what would be most helpful.

Top down view with a tape measure showing both width and height.
Side view with a tape measure showing height and width.
Length of lift ropes.

Thanks!

Also if anyone is curious, 2017 LX with a 6 speed in Aegean Blue. I really do love it!

Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM
I agree the price was steep. I paid $225 for the cover but the time to search and create other options was worth it to me or at least that's how I rationalize the purchase. It should be included with the car but hey let the "free market" determine price. It does function well and lifts when I open the hatch. I did get the dealer to throw in the cargo liner for free so I also could say I only paid about half price for the cover if I stretch the math.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
If you could fabricate the mounts that attach to the pegs, people could attach that to just about any home made cargo cover.

I didn't go so hightech when I made mine. Some foam board, aluminum curtain rods, felt, spray adhesive and about 2 hours I was able to make mine. Hardest part was getting the outline of the cover right because it's not a rectangle, there are curves to it. I made a template out of cardboard and then traced it to the foamboard. You can see the finished piece if you click my sig pic

Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
A CAD design of the cover ends, the ones that fit into the two sides, would be useful. If someone 3D printed the ends, with a way to insert material into the ends to span between, would allow a DIYer to fab their own, but still get a functional cover.

A tracing of an existing cover might give you the correct shape for the rear surface that abutts the hatch door.

The cover is quite thin, with a weight restriction of ~15lb, but I can't find the spec. There are deep groves in the cover in order to strengthen its design as well as to prevent objects from rolling around. The two side clips are metal and actually sold separately from the cover.

Personally I don't think it is that hard to make, but I really would not use the cover. Most of the time either one or both the rear seats are down, which means the cover would not be effective. I use a plain black blanket.

Installation Instructions

Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM
A top down picture with width and height measurements is enough to easily trace out the design in CAD to make it fit right. And that was my thought with the side clips as well. With a 3d printed clip and a scale model of the edge you could fit on a piece of paper, people would have a much easier time building custom covers, and you could also add some support much easier.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
The span from side to side is over 3.5'. Some who have used Styrofoam have complained about sag. Reinforcement is required, depending on how much weight you want to put there.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
The span from side to side is over 3.5'. Some who have used Styrofoam have complained about sag. Reinforcement is required, depending on how much weight you want to put there.
That's exactly right. Before I reinforced, just the weight of the cover itself caused the cover to bow down. I reinforced with aluminum window curtain rods They were lightweight, on hand and have held up over 2 years now.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Cover

Personally I like the factory cargo cover, my Fit is an EX-L Navi and the cover is included I guess. I have never had a hatchback with one (even the old role tarp in the 87 Supra, lol). The slots are super handy for putting pop cans in while travelling, lol. If you still need I can get ya the measurements, if I can find time I could model one in SolidWorks.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon
Personally I like the factory cargo cover, my Fit is an EX-L Navi and the cover is included I guess. I have never had a hatchback with one (even the old role tarp in the 87 Supra, lol). The slots are super handy for putting pop cans in while travelling, lol. If you still need I can get ya the measurements, if I can find time I could model one in SolidWorks.
Yeah the measurements would still be helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like a former member is selling theirs on ebay in case anyone is interested: 2015-2017 Honda Fit Genuine OEM Black Cargo Cover

Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thadhouse
I just got my fit 2 weeks ago, and like most people I don't want to pay OEM prices for the cargo cover. I have some CAD experience and access to a 3D printer and large plotter, so I would like to look into building my own, and then posting plans and pics here. I want it to fit like the OEM one however, so if possible would someone be able to get me some pictures. Here is the list of what would be most helpful.

Top down view with a tape measure showing both width and height.
Side view with a tape measure showing height and width.
Length of lift ropes.
So basically you want to steal someones intellectual property?

I get that your too cheap or don't have the money to buy OEM? If you have the CAD skills and access to a 3D printer at least be a professional and take measurements off your car and design it properly, not reverse engineer someone else's work.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
So basically you want to steal someones intellectual property?

I get that your too cheap or don't have the money to buy OEM? If you have the CAD skills and access to a 3D printer at least be a professional and take measurements off your car and design it properly, not reverse engineer someone else's work.
Asking for measurements is not the same as making a copy. So far the OP has merely expressed a desire to have it "fit like the OEM" (assuming the non-square area to be covered) not necessarily be an exact duplicate. If he plans to make a duplicate, then sure, I'd agree, but there is nothing in his post to base that assumption on.

If you think what amounts to a trace of the edge and a measurement of thickness equals intellectual property theft, you're obviously not an IP attorney. It's common practice for companies that produce aftermarket pieces as substitutes for OEM also buy an OEM piece for comparison of fit, function, and design.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I would hope that your design would be substantially better than the OEM. I would not brag about the OEM design. The tracing merely allows the OP to get a close fit where the cover meets the hatch door. There is a lot that can be improved from this point.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:52 PM
I would hope that your design would be substantially better than the OEM. I would not brag about the OEM design. The tracing merely allows the OP to get a close fit where the cover meets the hatch door. There is a lot that can be improved from this point.
What more do you want it to do? Covers the cargo area, holds a few cans/bottles of pop (or whatever else you put on it - space ends up being the issue not weight). Seems like a fine design for what it does, not what they charge for it, that is totally different.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
I was actually thinking of putting in a secret compartment under the cargo cover. This would allow you to have a hiding place, while making the design more rigid. You could also add 2 speakers, for example. Built-in tissue holder? Have holes and a floor for the pop cans so they stand upright, instead of rolling around when you corner. Pop can and tissue holder, with a cover? Dream a bit, you are the designer.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM
I was actually thinking of putting in a secret compartment under the cargo cover. This would allow you to have a hiding place, while making the design more rigid. You could also add 2 speakers, for example. Built-in tissue holder? Have holes and a floor for the pop cans so they stand upright, instead of rolling around when you corner. Pop can and tissue holder, with a cover? Dream a bit, you are the designer.
I think I would focus more items that benefit me driving and not the kids in the back seat. And doing anything that increases the depth reduces the cargo space you are trying to cover.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM
I was definitely thinking about the same thing. It's amazing what a little CAD experience and a 3D printer can do nowadays.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Loose objects on the cargo cover would become potentially harmful projectiles in a crash. They could also crack your hatch door glass. If you are smart enough to think about CADing a cover, then think further to increase safety and convenience. The kids would love to have secret cubbies in the back, or insulated pop can storage areas. That would be cool (both culturally and thermally). Might as well add extra switchable interior lights, a couple of USB charging outlets, maybe a 12v adapter for the cooler...

But please, no built-in bobble heads of yourself!

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 09-18-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
I put a whole 12" subwoofer in mine, and have plenty of room to spare underneath to haul all my photography gear, with a little to spare. But, it's heavy enough to test the load carrying capacity of the side shelves.

It would be easy to downsize the material from 3/4" thk to 1/4" thk board and make the "box" just an inch or two deep. Then you could run all kinds of wiring inside. A bunch of USB plugs for powering consumer electronics on the topside. Lots of LED lighting on the bottom side. You could run power to it the same way I did mine, with a connector near the seat back latch.

More details of my implementation in the two build threads in my sig.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ToddF
I put a whole 12" subwoofer in mine, and have plenty of room to spare underneath to haul all my photography gear, with a little to spare. But, it's heavy enough to test the load carrying capacity of the side shelves.

It would be easy to downsize the material from 3/4" thk to 1/4" thk board and make the "box" just an inch or two deep. Then you could run all kinds of wiring inside. A bunch of USB plugs for powering consumer electronics on the topside. Lots of LED lighting on the bottom side. You could run power to it the same way I did mine, with a connector near the seat back latch.

More details of my implementation in the two build threads in my sig.
Yeah I was planning on building a box out of polycarbonate VersaFrame, and just covering that with a thinner board. I really like the idea of LED's, so I probably would do so.

Also that car is awesome! Always good to see FRC being shown off outside of ChiefDelphi.

Last edited by thadhouse; 09-19-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Detailed Pictures of OEM Cargo Cover