3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Small battery reserve

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Small battery reserve

I've had this car since December and I've already had to get 5 boosts. Granted the 1st time was because I left an interior light on overnight and another time was when I was running the radio & had the interior lights on when doing a spring cleaning (neither incident would have been an issue with my Forester - just saying) but the last three times have been when stopped briefly (like 5 minutes) with maybe the key turned on to accessory or the doors open. Today it was when I was loading up my canoe. Honda says this is normal due to all the electronics in these cars.

Anyone else having an issue with this?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:09 PM
It's a weak battery. I carry a booster pack just for this reason. The interior lights are supposed to shut off after a few minutes, right?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:12 PM
I think the 1st time might have caused a permanent damage on the battery?

Old 09-28-2017, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
The interior lights alone are a high drain (and don't produce much light in return!) but what you're describing just doesn't sound right. The battery shouldn't go down that quickly in my opinion. I would get a proper load test done on it and there are a number of places which will do that for free. If they find a problem with the battery then you can go back to Honda.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
Another vote for damage to the battery from a deep discharge. Golf cart batteries and such are designed specifically for deep cycle use without damage, but not sure what the structural difference is inside. Wife has a CX-5 and killed her first battery with three or four deep discharge episodes. Big battery, too.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
The interior lights alone are a high drain . . .
Consider
these LED replacements these LED replacements
for the interior lights.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
This is my second Fit. I had my first for six years on the original battery, and I'm two years in on the '15 with no battery problems. I did replace all the interior lights with LEDs on both cars, and I don't play the stereo for background music when I'm working in the garage. I suspect the first deep cycle or two may have damaged your battery.

That said, I agree the battery is ridiculously small. It's not much bigger than the battery in my Harley-Davidson, and that battery is barely adequate for that purpose. Car manufacturers are under considerable pressure to increase fuel economy and one way to do it is to reduce vehicle weight, including the battery.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 09-28-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with all of the above.

Our first battery started to do what you're describing at around 120k miles. Replaced and have around 70k on the new one. New one is now "Honda" instead of the original Yuasa. I don't think it's going to last as long as it can only go a few days without getting weak. Keep a tender on it now.

I suspect a couple deep drains killed your battery. I suggest getting a new one and make sure to not let it drain.

Ditto on the LED interior lights as well. Swapped them when the car was new, so that may be helping our battery life.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Some 2015 Fits had a battery recall. Check if you qualify?

Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
You're right! It has a small capacity. No easy fix for that I'm afraid.

Your first time, discharging until flat, really hurts the battery. If you haven't replaced it since then, that is surely your problem and you will see a huge improvement from a new one. Sorry, but there's no use complaining about it; discharge a lead acid battery completely and it can't be restored to new.

If you want consistently improved reserve, it IS possible to install a slightly larger battery. Try searching on the site and I think you can find people who have removed the battery tray to get a larger one to fit; and that will say the battery model too.

From a design perspective the battery should be bigger to begin with. When I got a replacement they had to special order it; it's that uncommon in the US to have a battery this small.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-to-be-tied
I've had this car since December and I've already had to get 5 boosts. Granted the 1st time was because I left an interior light on overnight and another time was when I was running the radio & had the interior lights on when doing a spring cleaning (neither incident would have been an issue with my Forester - just saying) but the last three times have been when stopped briefly (like 5 minutes) with maybe the key turned on to accessory or the doors open. Today it was when I was loading up my canoe. Honda says this is normal due to all the electronics in these cars.

Anyone else having an issue with this?
one thing ive learned through the years (not my car but others) is once a regular non deepcycle battery is drained, it doesnt seem to charge back to full. it's like 70% is max, you drain it again and it's down to like 50% or less.

its user error. ive had 4 Fits and none had battery problems. 5-6yrs on original battery and no issue when sold.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
I just measured the current draw for the stock interior incandescent and replacement LED lights. Incandescent draw ten times as much current: 625mA vs. 61mA.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
On the positive side?
On those rare occasions anyone has approached about getting a battery jump?
I just explain that my car battery is smaller than my watch battery and they don't seem too insulted by my abandonment at a time of need.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Looking down the road, I think a battery failure would be a perfect excuse to get one of those tiny lithium batteries. Even sized for a regular family car or small truck it would probably be way smaller than the factory one.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
I used to wonder why the car companies hadn't replaced the old lead acid car battery with the smaller and more powerful lithium battery. Then I started reading all the stories about lithium batteries catching fire and the answer became obvious. Lithium batteries can overheat easily enough on their own and ignite, but place them in the hot engine compartment of a car and ...... Of course you could always place the lithium battery in the passenger compartment where it's cool and run long thick copper cables up to the engine compartment where the power is needed. Somehow that isn't overly appealing. So back to the good old lead acid battery, cheap and reasonably reliable.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Would this tiny batteries be the culprit of the headlights dimming as the ac cycles at night? Or needing a bigger alternator?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think both the alternator and battery.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Update!

Well, Friday I had to get boosted twice. So I booked an appointment for this morning with my dealer and asked them to check everything out. They did a charging system test. It failed and they put in a new battery under warranty.

For those of you who would understand it: They did a GR8 test and the code was PMQQ4-0524C

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers from TO

Old 10-03-2017, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
The headlight flickering is a design feature,, The Fit has a regulator that drops the power at idle to save fuel. If you get a Ultraguage and plug in you can watch the RPM and the flicker its very consistent.. Plus you can see all kinds of other fun stuff,, It can even be a cool little mini gauge pod if you want.. (It plugs in to the OBD test port under the dash)

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
The headlight flickering is a design feature,, The Fit has a regulator that drops the power at idle to save fuel. If you get a Ultraguage and plug in you can watch the RPM and the flicker its very consistent.. Plus you can see all kinds of other fun stuff,, It can even be a cool little mini gauge pod if you want.. (It plugs in to the OBD test port under the dash)
This aint at idle, this is highway driving and almost acts like your flashing the brights as the ac cycles... No no low rpms.... just really odd. Does it at idle as well , and I hate it.

Quick Reply: Small battery reserve