3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Small battery reserve

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, its the way it has been on GD, GE, and GK. not saying it's okay, just saying it's normal on this car. and no it is not a fuel saving "feature". more like an unfortunate characteristic.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-to-be-tied
I've had this car since December and I've already had to get 5 boosts. Granted the 1st time was because I left an interior light on overnight and another time was when I was running the radio & had the interior lights on when doing a spring cleaning (neither incident would have been an issue with my Forester - just saying) but the last three times have been when stopped briefly (like 5 minutes) with maybe the key turned on to accessory or the doors open. Today it was when I was loading up my canoe. Honda says this is normal due to all the electronics in these cars.

Anyone else having an issue with this?
I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs. 1/3 the wattage, 5 times the brightness. I've left both maps on all night and started the car up in the morning no problem - but in moderate weather. I don't know how this would go in sub freezing weather.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
You're right! It has a small capacity. No easy fix for that I'm afraid.

Your first time, discharging until flat, really hurts the battery. If you haven't replaced it since then, that is surely your problem and you will see a huge improvement from a new one. Sorry, but there's no use complaining about it; discharge a lead acid battery completely and it can't be restored to new.

If you want consistently improved reserve, it IS possible to install a slightly larger battery. Try searching on the site and I think you can find people who have removed the battery tray to get a larger one to fit; and that will say the battery model too.

From a design perspective the battery should be bigger to begin with. When I got a replacement they had to special order it; it's that uncommon in the US to have a battery this small.
I believe someone has reported putting in a larger battery without having to get a larger tray. I've observed that my tray is actually bigger than the battery - it only squares up with the battery on 3 sides.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs. 1/3 the wattage, 5 times the brightness. I've left both maps on all night and started the car up in the morning no problem - but in moderate weather. I don't know how this would go in sub freezing weather.
I totally agree. I did the same thing with the same results. As for the battery, I slept in my car one day and accidentally left the headlights on (don't ask). I woke 7 hours later to a totally dead battery. I got a jump and the battery seemed ok for about a month but then started to crank slower and slower. A charger stated that it was fully charged but a load charger rated the battery as only having about 100 cold cranking amps. So I replaced it. Two weeks later, I lost first one then the other high beam/DLR headlights. It seems that the constant charging must have prematurely burned out the elements. In short, once your battery starts to go, don't hesitate on replacing it.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by nomenclator
I believe someone has reported putting in a larger battery without having to get a larger tray. I've observed that my tray is actually bigger than the battery - it only squares up with the battery on 3 sides.
Yes, a larger capacity 51r fits perfectly in the oversize tray. It actually fits better than the original battery.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by audiomitch
Yes, a larger capacity 51r fits perfectly in the oversize tray. It actually fits better than the original battery.
I'm going to make a note of the 51R on my battery for when I need a replacement.

The 51R battery is
2" longer
1/4" wider
1/8" shorter
than the recommended 151R battery.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
On the positive side?
On those rare occasions anyone has approached about getting a battery jump?
I just explain that my car battery is smaller than my watch battery and they don't seem too insulted by my abandonment at a time of need.
Someone approached me to get his battery jumped. He had a 1989 buick electra or something. I left my engine running. We hooked up. I ran my engine at about 2000 rpm and at the same time he started right up.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
On the positive side?
On those rare occasions anyone has approached about getting a battery jump?
I just explain that my car battery is smaller than my watch battery and they don't seem too insulted by my abandonment at a time of need.
Have you ever needed a jump? It's a huge relief when someone is available to help. It's late, it's cold, you're late, you knew you needed a new battery. I've needed a lot of jumps over the years so, I try to pay the favor forward. I've easily given out four times as many jumps as I've gotten. When assisting women drivers with a dead battery I have her clip the cables on the batteries. It really helps de-mystify the process for them.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Have you ever needed a jump? It's a huge relief when someone is available to help. It's late, it's cold, you're late, you knew you needed a new battery. I've needed a lot of jumps over the years so, I try to pay the favor forward. I've easily given out four times as many jumps as I've gotten. When assisting women drivers with a dead battery I have her clip the cables on the batteries. It really helps de-mystify the process for them.
I like communicating information to people but I've found that many people, regardless of sex, appear to not want certain things de-mystified. If you try to de-mystify the sort of thing they don't want de-mystified, they don't try to understand what you have said, get agitated, and may even get angry, and accusatory. If they act this way, I feel like I'm being taken unfair advantage of, if I help them out for free. So I demand payment from them to jump start their car. I only ask for $5.00. Usually, rather than give me $5, they prefer to remain stranded, or call a professional mechanic, wait 45 minutes for them to show up, and give them $50.00. If they are willing to listen, and do some of the work, hook up 2 of the cables, I'll show them where to attach the cable, explain why, and I'll jump their battery for free.

I've found that, these days, young women are just as often as men, if not more often, quite capable of attaching the cables properly, and some older women are quite capable too. For both men and women, I give them one end of the cable set, and see what they do. If they hook the cables up, I'll inspect them to see that they are hooked up correctly, and if so I'll connect the other end to my car. If they ask for help, or do the hookup incorrectly, I'll show them where to clip. If they do nothing and say something like "these things just don't mean much to me" I'll offer to show them where to clip, and explain why. If they don't wan't to listen, I'll demand the $5 to do the hookup myself. I've found that sometimes men act this way. It's not just women.

Last edited by nomenclator; 10-30-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Consider these LED replacements for the interior lights.
Which lights are these lights for. Do they fit the front Map lights?
Thanks
D

Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by first honda
Which lights are these lights for. Do they fit the front Map lights?
Yes, they fit the map light, the overhead light and the cargo light.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by FIT-to-be-tied
I've had this car since December and I've already had to get 5 boosts. Granted the 1st time was because I left an interior light on overnight and another time was when I was running the radio & had the interior lights on when doing a spring cleaning (neither incident would have been an issue with my Forester - just saying) but the last three times have been when stopped briefly (like 5 minutes) with maybe the key turned on to accessory or the doors open. Today it was when I was loading up my canoe. Honda says this is normal due to all the electronics in these cars.

Anyone else having an issue with this?

You can't leave the interior light on or headlights/marker on -on a 2015+ they automatically shut off. No setting to take this feature away.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrgrzesk
You can't leave the interior light on or headlights/marker on -on a 2015+ they automatically shut off. No setting to take this feature away.
I have a 2015 LX. On my car, the map lights do not shut off automatically. On the EX models the map lights look different but I don't know that they work differently. My dome light shuts off automatically only if you have the 3-position switch in the middle position. The other sw positions set it to always on, or always off. The headlights shut off automatically only if you have the switch set to "automatic." In the "headlights on" position they will set off a beeper if you open the driver door while they are on, but they won't switch off. In the "headlights off" position they will usually be off, but will go on, at night, when opening the door and will stay on for little awhile after you leave the car and shut the door, and then they will go off automatically.