3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Ramps?

What do you use? I use 3X 2x8's. I'm wondering how level do you need to keep your Fit when draining the oil? If you put it on ramps it's not level - unless your driveway is slanted. See what I'm getting at?

What's the easiest way to get your Fit up in the air so you can get under it to change the oil and do other stuff? Anyone have a nifty method they'd care to share?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I don't worry too much about the lack of level in the oil change. you do get most of it. I suppose after the front is on your ramps you could jack up the rear, which is pretty easy, in order to level the car, then possibly add jack stands to the side rails, but it seems less stable, and more effort for not much benefit.

My 3 2x10 wooden ramps, used to change oil on a 2016 Honda Fit. Also Canadian-branded 0w20 oil.

I don't have any trick other than have my son guide me up the ramps.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 11-11-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
I have to make some ramps next summer and I'll probably pretty much copy what you've done. I'll probably go with 10" width wood though for more safety since I don't have anyone to guide me up. One question though. The third piece on top is narrower than the lower two pieces. Was that just due to wood availability or was there some other reason for that?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I ran out of 10", so used 8". Cut with a 45 degree bevel. I also put some metal L brackets from an old bed frame as stops. The design is simple, but they are bulky and heavy. No issues with getting under the Fit though.

Wood ramps, 2016 Honda Fit

Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
That's similar to what I use. Mine are bulky, too. I need to drill holes and install rope handles.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Rhino ramps aren't much money and are a lot lighter (and have built in carrying handles). I bought a set 15+ years ago and am still using them.

Nothing at all wrong with the build your own approach though. Just for me it's a small price spread out over countless oil changes between quite a few vehicles over a long period of time.

The GD's oil drain plug is in the rear. Being slanted on ramps actually aids in the draining.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
I know that Rhino ramps are rated to carry a lot of weight but I just can't bring myself to trust something made of plastic - especially when I'm going to be underneath the car. Also I don't really like commercial ramps because they tend to be kind of high with a steeper slope to climb..

Many years ago when I was going up the metal ramps with my VW the tires were wet and they were slipping a bit because of the steepness of the ramp so I made the mistake of stepping on the gas more - and not only got up the ramp but went off the end of it. So the ramps ended up being jammed under the car. Yeah that was fun.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
I know that Rhino ramps are rated to carry a lot of weight but I just can't bring myself to trust something made of plastic - especially when I'm going to be underneath the car.
LOL...you're worried about the plastic ramps with a Honda Fit? They are rated to 12000 lbs. My 4400 lb Lincoln was on my Rhino ramps today. Not even a creak.

Our GD sport drives straight up them and they have a very large positive stop. I'm not sure the Fit could get over the stop if it tried.

I appreciate your concern though. I had the cheap metal ramps 20+ years ago. Those were a different story. They did make me nervous. The stop was more tapered and they were slick when wet. I set them to the curb when I noticed that the sides were buckling. Picked up a set of Rhino ramps and never looked back.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
What do you use? I use 3X 2x8's. I'm wondering how level do you need to keep your Fit when draining the oil? If you put it on ramps it's not level - unless your driveway is slanted. See what I'm getting at?

What's the easiest way to get your Fit up in the air so you can get under it to change the oil and do other stuff? Anyone have a nifty method they'd care to share?
The location of the drain plug is located at the back of the oil pan. I would think the higher the front wheels are lifted, the more oil would drain from the pan. My under cover is removed permanently. I can reach the drain plug and the oil filter to replace the oil/filter without lifting the front end.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503

i use RaceRamps. they are by far the best ramps out of them all.. but comes at a price. dont worry about the few ml of oil you cant get out.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Rhino ramps aren't much money and are a lot lighter (and have built in carrying handles). I bought a set 15+ years ago and am still using them.
Agreed, use them on my fit and my 4runner with no worries. I guess if you were really worried you could add some Jack stands as a backup.

Has a lip on the front and as long as you feather the accelerator you can feel when it clears the incline.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
My under cover is removed permanently.
So I'm not the only one Actually, mine was missing when I bought the car CPO (had no idea there was supposed to be one), and it doesn't sound like I'm missing much

Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Doesn't reflect well on the "Certified" part of "Certified Pre Owned" does it?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
yah really.. geez. wat else is missing from the car? lol

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM
i own a set of plastic autozone ramps but i feel silly hauling them out. I just prop the car up with a scissor-jack & stand to do the oil and filter change... i suppose i'm lazy.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
using a scissor jack is silly.. those are for emergency use

Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
using a scissor jack is silly.. those are for emergency use
^^^ This. Not a stable way to raise a car. IMO most are unsafe. You can buy a very nice floor jack from Harbor Freight for not much money, watch for sales. Pair that jack up with a couple of good jack stands.

For oil changes I use a set of Rhino ramps. As an old guy I'm contemplating buying a topside oil changer. My GTI has the filter on top making it an easy job. My son's Fit will require the use of ramps due to the filter loacation, but he'll be the one underneath. ;-)

Above all work safe folks. On another car forum I frequent we lost a long time member when his improperly supported car fell on him. RIP

Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Changed to winter tires today. Used a small block of wood in the mouth of the hydraulic jack. Placed the jack on the side rail, where the scissor jack should go, and pumped it up. It is much easier to change the front tires with the hydraulic jack. When the hydraulic jack is at its lowest point, with the block of wood, there is less than a cm (0.5") clearance to the rail, so even if the jack fails while I'm changing the front tire, the disk brake would not hit the ground.

For the rear I jacked up on the tow hook and did both tires at the same time.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
For the rear I jacked up on the tow hook and did both tires at the same time.
Huh? That actually works? The tow hook doesn't bend?

Old 11-17-2017, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Do any of these ramps have a big footprint? I drove my Corolla up a set of old steel ramps a few years ago, did some work under it, then drove it down and removed the ramps. That's when I noticed deep gouges in the asphalt driveway on the hot summer day. Since then I've taken the car for any under-car work to a car place. All the ramps I've seen in autoparts stores don't really seem to have a big footprint large enough to convince me to try getting under a car again. I guess i could wait until winter but not in Minnesota!

Quick Reply: Ramps?