3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hitch recommendations for 2018 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Question Hitch recommendations for 2018 Fit?

I'd like to put a hitch on my car because me and my SO like to ride bikes on the weekends. Last week we did the whole "take the front wheels off and just put it inside the car" thing but it was more trouble than it was worth.

So yeah I'd like to install a hitch, then put a bike rack on it. Any recommendations?

Old 11-30-2017, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
In addition to seeing what others on here suggest, I'd probably give these guys a call...

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Honda_Fit.htm

They probably have direct experience with the options. I like that the Curt hitch is listed as made in US. There's also videos to help with the decision and install.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Not a hitch but I bought one of these

Amazon Amazon

For 2 bikes

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-01-2017, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Google hidden hitch or look on here. There is a hitch that is mounted behind the rear bumper cover and only the receiver hole is visible. Wish I knew about it before I got my regular curt hitch. They really look clean. Just my 2 cents

Old 12-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
In addition to seeing what others on here suggest, I'd probably give these guys a call...

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Honda_Fit.htm

They probably have direct experience with the options. I like that the Curt hitch is listed as made in US. There's also videos to help with the decision and install.
I emailed them and they recommended me a pretty cheap hitch but then recommended a bike rack that was almost $500, eek a little out of my price range. I like that site though so I'll check out reviews there.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you care about the car's finish, i would stay away from straps making any contact to the paint. especially on a dark colored car.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
I emailed them and they recommended me a pretty cheap hitch but then recommended a bike rack that was almost $500, eek a little out of my price range. I like that site though so I'll check out reviews there.
Amazon Amazon

This is what i bought from Amazon. Drove from Queens , New York to Voluntown, Connecticut and back with 3 adults 1 kid, everything was fine. I got the Curt hitch installed.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^ yah, that would be the kinda hitch rack id get too. very nice.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
The Curt Hitch goes on easy as pie then you're open to numerous trailer hitch options. It took me maybe 45 minutes. Hardest part of the whole job is getting your tools out and putting them away.

Harbor Freight has a hitch mounted rack for $40.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if you care about the car's finish, i would stay away from straps making any contact to the paint. especially on a dark colored car.
Yeah really. I would not trust a bike rack that attached to the trunk door on this car.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by oiric2006@gmail.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what i bought from Amazon. Drove from Queens , New York to Voluntown, Connecticut and back with 3 adults 1 kid, everything was fine. I got the Curt hitch installed.
Thanks for the suggestions! I like that one.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Still haven't bought a hitch :\ I'm uncomfortable with bending the muffler on my new car. I don't want to break anything. All these installations look really complicated.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM
I have a Curt model hitch for my 2018 EX, but have not yet installed it due to questions about warranty. Assuming I do not connect this to the electrical in any way, does this still negate the warranty? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:28 PM
That is what I wonder too...if installing this thing will void my warranty.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
You're probably only having to bend the exhaust hanger a little bit, shouldn't be a big deal to how the exhaust functions. It'll only void the warranty if they can prove it caused it to fail. For example because you installed a hitch, they have to prove that it caused your head unit screen to fail if you take it in for service. They have no interconnectivity BTW.

Read up on the Magnuson-Moss act.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:53 PM
If I somehow break my own muffler tho or bend something wrong they won't fix it.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
If I somehow break my own muffler tho or bend something wrong they won't fix it.
That's true. Muffler shops are generally an inexpensive place to get a hitch installed. You could get a quote.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM
I agree with the responses that say that a hitch installation should not break a warranty unless it was improperly done. What I probably should have said better was my concern that a Honda dealership would try to get out of fixing something under warranty claiming that a hitch installation caused the problem even if it didn't. I may eventually win such a dispute, but I also am the kind of person who doesn't want to spend a lot of time having to argue or plead something with the Honda repair department or the insurance company. These groups are motivated to avoid paying for the fixes using the warranty violation tactic whenever it gets them off the hook.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
If it's that big of a concern, you could ask your service adviser at the Honda dealer for a quote to install the hitch. Hitch installation at most dealers is just not a big deal.

They do them very regularly on the Pilot and CR-V's since they are a dealer installed accessory item.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
If it's that big of a concern, you could ask your service adviser at the Honda dealer for a quote to install the hitch. Hitch installation at most dealers is just not a big deal.

They do them very regularly on the Pilot and CR-V's since they are a dealer installed accessory item.
Can't imagine a Honda dealer agreeing to do this on a Fit. Fit's aren't meant to tow which is why you need to work around it by bending stuff.

Quick Reply: Hitch recommendations for 2018 Fit?