3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB Port Accessible Behind Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:58 PM
jpm
USB Port Accessible Behind Dash?

I have a 2016 Honda Fit LX. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket Carplay headunit. When I look at the installation gear on Cruthfield it says, "USB port Not supported by install package" which means the aftermarket head unit can't make use of the USB port already wired in the car.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken off that plastic piece where the usb and lighter adapter are (it seems there is only one screw holding it in) to see how the port is wired? Is it a direct line right back to the factory head unit? Anyone figure out any way to use this with a new head unit? Seems like a waste to have to run a new line in a separate place when the front one is so easily accessible already.

This is an image of the 2018 Fit, but mine is similar, just an example of the port i'm talking about in terms of wiring.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
on the GE8s, the extra usb port was hidden in the glove compartment. just popped it out and stowed it away and ran the new usb port through.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 PM
The USB port isn't a thin USB cable like the ones used for phone chargers. It's a much thicker cluster of cables wrapped up into a single wire.

And yes, that panel is held by one screw, slightly to the left and above the cigarette adapter port.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
On my 2016 LX, I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket Sony unit. I ran the two USB cables from the back of the unit through the cutout where the ignition button fits on the EX, on the dash just right of the steering wheel. Just popped off the plastic cover and threaded them through. Doesn't look particularly elegant, but works just fine.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
jpm
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
The USB port isn't a thin USB cable like the ones used for phone chargers. It's a much thicker cluster of cables wrapped up into a single wire.

And yes, that panel is held by one screw, slightly to the left and above the cigarette adapter port.
That's what I was afraid of, it being a basically useless port with aftermarket headunit. Hopefully it still gets power at least, can use it as a charging port.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
On my 2016 LX, I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket Sony unit. I ran the two USB cables from the back of the unit through the cutout where the ignition button fits on the EX, on the dash just right of the steering wheel. Just popped off the plastic cover and threaded them through. Doesn't look particularly elegant, but works just fine.
I'm thinking of doing something similar. I'm also buying a Sony but the one I want only has a single USB. I want to get one of these below from amazon and mount it in that lower piece. I'm wondering if I can buy one of those plastic pieces from Honda parts (the plastic piece referenced in the pic above).

In my car to the right of the USB there is enough open space that I could mount something, but I'd rather do trial and error on a secondary piece assuming it's not too much from Honda. I'll have to call my local parts department.

Amazon Amazon