3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is there less driver legroom then gen 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Is there less driver legroom then gen 1?

2 weeks ago I rear ended a Silverado in my beloved 2007 fit sport. Low speed, no injuries but insurance totaled out my baby. Wasnt a huge surprise, ordered a 2015 fit EX though carvana that I took delivery on last night, and I've got a week to decide if I'm keeping it.

Maybe I just got used to the larger rental I was driving, but the 2015 feels like there's less leg room then the 2007 had. I'm 6'3", and while the 07 wasnt exactly roomy my legs didn't feel cramped. Driving the 2015 I feel much more aware of the bend in my knee on the gas pedal.

Just wondering if anyone has numbers on legroom between the two? Or if you can't tell the difference and think I just got used to more room, let me know I'm crazy. Love the fit but I always felt I was right on the cusp of to tall for the 07, if the 15 has less legroom I may have to spend the extra money for an HR-V.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have numbers, but here's a few of my thoughts...

1. If it's not comfortable, the numbers don't matter.
2. 2015 would be my last choice of years to buy. From what I've seen here, they have the most reported problems. Shopping used I would buy a 2012-2014. Used '16-17 prices are high enough that I'd just buy a new '18 instead.
3. A good friend of mine is 6'4" and is very comfy in his GE. He bought the GE from his Dad who is 6'7" and was also comfy in it.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
I completely agree with you on point 1. It's not that it's uncomfortable per se, I'm just more aware of it right now. Was only looking for numbers as I drove the 2007 fit for 7 years w/o issue, so if the "numbers" were the same or higher I'd definitely know I can settle back in to it nicely.

Wasn't aware of the issues with the 2015, that's a bit concerning. Admittedly I went for that model for some of the higher trim features, but looking at the market it's rough finding a 12 or 13 with less than 70-80K on it, and there's no 14s at all anywhere near me. Really want <50K, but I'll have to see what's available and maybe find one I can take for a quick test drive to see if it feels roomier from the driver seat.

The GE's don't have the refresh mode on the magic seats do they? I don't know why I care as it's a feature I almost never used on the 07, but I like it damn it.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
All the '15s were made at the Celaya, Mexico plant if memory serves, and Honda had no end of problems at that plant - search this forum for details. Honda went around this issue by importing '16s from Japan, which I'm sure they were loathe to do, but until they got the problems at the Celaya plant straightened out, only way to ensure proper QC.

I agree with Gafit, if there's one year to avoid, it's the '15. Sorry to hear about your GD. As far as the HR-V, I felt it was way underpowered compared to the Fit, with an engine producing 14 extra hp for 500 lb. more weight. That alone is a dealbreaker for me, I don't want to always be straining the engine just in normal driving. But that's me, you may like it.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
All the '15s were made at the Celaya, Mexico plant if memory serves, and Honda had no end of problems at that plant - search this forum for details. Honda went around this issue by importing '16s from Japan, which I'm sure they were loathe to do, but until they got the problems at the Celaya plant straightened out, only way to ensure proper QC.

I agree with Gafit, if there's one year to avoid, it's the '15. Sorry to hear about your GD. As far as the HR-V, I felt it was way underpowered compared to the Fit, with an engine producing 14 extra hp for 500 lb. more weight. That alone is a dealbreaker for me, I don't want to always be straining the engine just in normal driving. But that's me, you may like it.
And I agree about your take on the HR-V. I want to like it, but the numbers don't lie. It's a good looking vehicle and they seem to be trouble free, but it really should have the 1.5t. The current drivetrain is not sufficient for a mini-ute in my opinion. It's either the slowest in class or close to it.

That being said, I highly recommended one to our neighbor. She sees 55mph as high speed driving and accelerates at the speed of molasses going uphill. For a driver that isn't going to use more than 50hp in any car, it's a great vehicle.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
really appreciate the input from both of you, I'm definitely leaning towards sending this car back now. Just drove it around for a solid hour, and while I like the car I can't say I $13000 like it. If it counts as a nail in the coffin, the trip gauge is claiming I'm only getting 20 mpg at the moment??

The power on the HR-V isn't a major turn off for me, I drive like a grandma and do almost entirely city driving. Hell my daily commute is 2.5 miles, all of them through 25 mph zones till the last quarter mile. I just want the magic seats and hatchback, with the AWD kicker for michigan winters. I'll look around to see if there's any good prices on LX hatchbacks or older fits.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
It would be hard to beat an AWD HR-V for that use!

Would rather have you here with us, but that may be more suited to your needs.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
How much gas is left in the tank? If the car has been driven hard and you're at the end of the tank, any sensible driving you're doing now will be negated by all that hard driving at the beginning of the tank. Best way to determine something resembling actual MPG is to fill up, zero out the trip odometer, drive the way you normally would and see what you get. Be advised that the MPG indicator is a bit optimistic, typically 2-3 MPG above actual usage, but it's close enough to get you in the ballpark.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
gauge was showing full when it was delivered to me yesterday, I've put 105 miles on it since and it's showing around 60-70% remaining. I'll fill up in the morning to see how much it takes.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy

Actually the move of Fit production to Japan had nothing to do with quality. Honda needed the Mexico production line for the start up of the HR-V and moving the Fit to Japan on the existing production lines there was a good solution for them. A year later when they were able to ramp up Mexico production they moved the Fit back and now bothe the HR-V and the Fit are made at that Mexico plant.

I agree with everyone that the 2015 is not the car to buy. It was both the first year of a major redesign and the first year of manufacture at the new Mexico plant with inexperienced workers. Problems, problems ....

As for the HR-V I briefly looked at it myself but when I saw the engine I quickly looked at the car weight and that was the end of that. Although the HR-V has sold well it has not been the big success Honda was hoping for and that's not surprising. I'm curious to see what they do when re-design time rolls around.

Last edited by woof; 12-06-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm genuinely happy I apparently got the only perfect 2015 Fit.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i've not noticed the GK being more cramped than the GD or GE in the front.

the rear foot wells are huge on the GK allowing me to set the seat back farther vs GD.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 AM
This has been the only real thing that I cant get over in this car. The drivers leg room is TERRIBLE and that was over looked during the purchase. Good thing its my wife's main car. I can make it work but I find myself leaning the seat back excessively. Still a great purchase as it was the best MPG/best tech available at by far the best deal for a new car under $19k (bought a 15 EX, got $3k for a trade in not worth $500 and got $500 of sticker)

Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I'm genuinely happy I apparently got the only perfect 2015 Fit.
I'm happy for you. Hopefully my son's recently purchased off lease 2015 EX will be perfect too. To the OP this forum is a small sampling of Fit owners. People who don't have any problems will not post here.

As for legroom has anyone looked at these?

http://http://extendmyseat.com/