3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to decide between the 2018 Fit LX or Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Trying to decide between the 2018 Fit LX or Sport

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I have decided on the Honda Fit. I work in the city so the compactness of the vehicle is very helpful for street parking. I never really cared about the moonroof or leather seats, so I have narrowed my options down to the CVT LX and Sports trim. The reason why I'm considering the LX over the Sports model is because for some reason there is a drop in MPG in the Sports trim. It's baffling to see how several added sports trim pieces and an extra 29 lbs can affect the MPG so much. The LX is rated at 36 MPG combined while the Sports is rated at 33 MPG combined.

The leather steering wheel, 16" alloy wheels and fog lights are nice, but the inclusion of Apple Carplay is the main reason why I'm considering the Sports trim, How do people that own the Sports look past the fact that they are losing about 30 gallons per tank over the LX? Is the added extras the Sports have over the LX worth the decrease in MPG?

Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
You have to look the differing features and ask yourself whether they really matter to you. In my case top fuel economy was absolutely essential and things like fancy trim, and fog lamps were completely irrelevant. Alloy wheels were very tempting but in the end not essential to me. My decision was very easy and I bought the 2018 CVT LX. No regrets.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
For me the Sport would be worth it for the radio alone. As far as gas mileage goes you have to remember those mileages were figured in a laboratory not out in real world driving. As they say, your mileage may vary. My son has a 2015 EX & he tells me that he is tracking his mileage & he is getting 34 mpg in his mix of city & highway.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Many of us have exceeded the MPG, especially on highway travel. I wouldn't worry about those numbers.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, no question. if you can afford the sport get that for sure.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Even though I bought, and enjoy my Honda Fit EX...admittedly the main reason I chose it was to get the sunroof.
* I also like the wheels. Hate plastic wheel covers.

Otherwise, I'd admit I think The Fit is actually a much better bargain, value, in the more spartan trim levels.

If I was actually being less impulsive when I purchased, I think buying the lower trim would of been a better purchase. Although I don't like the idea of having a Sunroof installed aftermarket, so it would of meant NOT getting that benefit.

So bottom line, SURE if the bells and whistles don't really matter to you? The Fit is IMO a better overall value, in it's more spartan incarnations.
In the end? We're all basically driving Honda Fits.

180 degree flip/flop warning:
If you at all think you actually might want some of those Bells and Whistles? And you can afford it? Then get them.
I've never read a post where somebody was upset they HAD things they might not even use that much. I have read more posts of buyers remorse, when people buy the lesser equipped vehicle and then decide they miss those things. You then end up in the aftermarket arena...which also some people enjoy. But if you choose the more spartan Fit...make sure you REALLY don't want the extra's.

Last edited by fitchet; 12-09-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Many of us have exceeded the MPG, especially on highway travel. I wouldn't worry about those numbers.
This. I have a ‘15 EX manual and am averaging north of 40 MPG.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
IF (and I do mean IF) there's any difference in fuel economy between the two, it would be due to the increased rolling resistance of the sport size and type of tires.

For me, that would steer me even more towards the Sport.

It really just comes down to personal taste though. A good sounding stereo keeps me from dumping $1,000's into aftermarket equipment and I flat out will not have a vehicle with a rubber/plastic steering wheel.

I bought a car with one and, $300 later, I replaced it with a leather wheel.

Basically, higher trim levels save a person like me money because I don't feel the need to upgrade as much. Add to that, some of the cost comes back at trade in vs aftermarket stuff that takes away value.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I flat out will not have a vehicle with a rubber/plastic steering wheel.
I agree with you there.
I hate a plastic steering wheel. And since it one of the most direct interfaces we get as drivers when driving, I'm surprised how bad some OEM base steering wheels actually feel.
Had a Toyota that the steering wheel seemed designed to feel like plastic sand paper. Have no idea why anyone would think that was a desirable design.

I owned a 2010 Honda Fit Sport, which IMO had one of the nicest feeling and looking leather wrapped steering wheels I have ever owned.
Was disappointed when I discovered the Honda Fit EX...did NOT come with a leather wrapped steering wheel, and you had to upgrade all the way to the very top with the EX-L, to get it.

I immediately bought more than one steering wheel covers. Now I'm OK. But would of hated the uncovered original steering wheel.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
I think one of the reasons in mileage difference might be that the LX comes with a lot of under-body aero cladding that the other trims do not have.

There are some pretty nice leather covers for steering wheels. I had to buy one for my Miata. Sure makes the wheel feel better.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I think one of the reasons in mileage difference might be that the LX comes with a lot of under-body aero cladding that the other trims do not have.
I wasn't aware of that. Wonder why? Does the under-body cladding not fit the other models?

I've heard of owners of every trim level complaining about the undertray when changing the oil. Does the LX have more pieces to it?

Old 12-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone for their input. You guys all made good points. I guess at the end of the day, the added features outweighs the loss of MPG. And it’s reassuring to hear that many people are achieving higher MPG than what Honda reports. Fitchet, you make a good point about people regretting missing out on the features. It’s easier to have the features and not use it than it is to not have the features and regret not having it. I’ll be shopping for the Sport. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
good choice and good luck with your purchase.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viewtiful
Thanks everyone for their input. You guys all made good points. I guess at the end of the day, the added features outweighs the loss of MPG. And it’s reassuring to hear that many people are achieving higher MPG than what Honda reports. Fitchet, you make a good point about people regretting missing out on the features. It’s easier to have the features and not use it than it is to not have the features and regret not having it. I’ll be shopping for the Sport. Thanks for the help, everyone.
You won't regret it! I love my 2018 Sport 6MT and am averaging around 40 MPG as well.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you really like the looks of Sport or the leather steering wheel, I would go straight to the EX if skipping the LX. The reason being the EX is only about $600 more than the Sport and adds so much: sunroof, push button start, smart entry, and Honda sensing (huge for safety).

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
I like the entry, push button and remote, but I don't view them as necessities. I hate leather because it's always too hot or too cold, and let's face it I really have no need for animal flesh covered things.

Sunroofs I typically avoid like the plague, but in the end the stereo made me put up with it.

This put me in the EX trim and I've been very happy with it. Can't see splurging more on an economy vehicle.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viewtiful
Fitchet, you make a good point about people regretting missing out on the features. It’s easier to have the features and not use it than it is to not have the features and regret not having it.
Well good luck.
I'm actually torn on the whole approach.
Even though I bought an EX...and like the features it adds, in my area the difference in price between an EX and a LX can be $3000-$4000 dollars.

My closest Honda Dealership, likes to put the LX's out front with the low price in the windshield, then of course steer you to a EX once you stop and get out.

I like my push button start, my sunroof, and the wheels. So...you have to factor whether it's worth it.
It was to me...even though I do think a LX at $3000-$4000 dollars less, is a really good value in a very nice sub-compact hatch.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM
I was going to buy a 2018 Fit LX w/ Sensing, but decided to opt for a 2015 Kia Rio w/ 6 spd MT instead, since it was 1/3rd the price as a brand new Fit.

I can tell you that the difference in the MPG comes down to the steel rims versus the alloy rims. I'd much rather have the steelies, plus Honda gives you a MATCHING STEEL RIM in the back!! Put a *real* tire on there, and you can replace a flat and not have to worry about replacing a donut tire within ~50 miles or so.

I actually prefer the LX Stereo. Bluetooth music, phone calls, and GPS navigation works better than anything that touchscreen can provide on the EX.

The only problem was that finding an LX w/ Sensing was very difficult, and so would've probly been custom made and not gotten a discount like I could've gotten on an EX. Quoted just a hair over $20,000 for the EX trim.... and the LX w/ Sensing was only a few hundred cheaper, if that... maybe only a couple hundred cheaper.

Anyway... I would actually pay to NOT have a sunroof. I would pay to have steelies over alloys (not even considering the better MPGs, but if the alloys crack or bend, you're screwed; steelies can be repaired with a hammer!). I'm indifferent to the stereos, but I really do think the LX's head unit is better for a "daily driver". Android Auto is overrated!

But yes... if you're going to get an LX, definitely add Sensing!!! The 2018 Fit is the *only* vehicle I tested out of dozens that had a functional Lane Keep Assist. It was so good that it actually kept you centered between the lines. I'm about 99% sure this has to do with the sharp slope of the hood. Gives more visibility of the hood between the lines. The 6 speed MT really wasn't that great in the Fit, either... would definitely get the CVT for a quiter ride.

Anyway.... hopefully I can pick up a 2018 Fit in 3 years for half the price it is now. :-) I can't wait!!

Any dealers who carry the LX w/out Sensing (or *no* LXes at all, like my local dealer) should really re-think how awesome the LX w/ Sensing actually is. The steel rims drive just as smooth as the alloys, too. Had to drive 60 miles away just to try it out. Very Impressed with the CVT LX. Not so impressed with the stick shift LX. I feel like Honda has lost their way with stick shifts. Or is that just me?

Last edited by DoctorBuzz; 12-11-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Doctor....Ummm...the LX is not available with "sensing" so the whole rest of your post makes no sense.

However, I feel compelled to chime in and also say...enjoy your Kia and steel wheels. No one wants either of those in real life. Sometimes we make due with what we can afford, but to choose inferior things in life is almost sad.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Doctor....Ummm...the LX is not available with "sensing" so ..........
Actually I believe Sensing is available on the US LX Fit as a $1000 option.

The Canadian LX Fits I believe all come with Sensing. At least mine did

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between the 2018 Fit LX or Sport