3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to decide between the 2018 Fit LX or Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viewtiful
It's baffling to see how several added sports trim pieces and an extra 29 lbs can affect the MPG so much. The LX is rated at 36 MPG combined while the Sports is rated at 33 MPG combined.
The LX CVT (33/40/36) does not have paddle shifters, the higher trim level CVT models (31/36/33) do. When I bought my 2016 it was mentioned here that the EPA assumed CVT drivers would paddle shift which are not as fuel efficient.

It is not the weight. Notice on the Honda webpage all the MT Fit models are rated for 29/36/31.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice info pressfit.

my wife NEVER uses the paddle shifter and the EX consistently gets 36mpg range combined, quickly into 40mpg on hwy.. so how about just getting the sport/EX and enjoy the extra bells + mpg? ... if that is important to those of u

Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DoctorBuzz
..... plus Honda gives you a MATCHING STEEL RIM in the back!! Put a *real* tire on there, and you can replace a flat and not have to worry about replacing a donut tire within ~50 miles or so.

.....Not so impressed with the stick shift LX. I feel like Honda has lost their way with stick shifts. Or is that just me?
Yes, there's a space-saver spare on a steel wheel, but it's not "matching," and am pretty sure stuffing a full size tire in there would result in a not flat load floor, as the tire itself is wider and would push the cover above it's stock location.
As far as the manual, no, Honda hasn't "lost their way," I find it a fine shifting trans.....they just made an unfortunate choice with the gearing choices of the top two gears.... 5th should've been the same as the last gen and 6th should've been a proper overdrive. Hwy mpg would be better and cruising drone would be lessened, neither of them deal breakers for me. The factory ratios as is are pretty fun in the mountain twisties around us, being close in the higher end. Fine trans, just an unfortunate choice of squeezing in the unneeded 5th gear (6th is virtually the same as 5th on 2nd gens) and not stretching out 6th for better hwy use for most folks

Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
The LX CVT (33/40/36) does not have paddle shifters, the higher trim level CVT models (31/36/33) do. When I bought my 2016 it was mentioned here that the EPA assumed CVT drivers would paddle shift which are not as fuel efficient.

It is not the weight. Notice on the Honda webpage all the MT Fit models are rated for 29/36/31.

Hmm, that does sound logical but I don't think EX and EX-L have paddle shifters and their MPG is rated the same as the Sports. Perhaps because of the added weight from the moonroof is the reason for the similar rating?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viewtiful
Hmm, that does sound logical but I don't think EX and EX-L have paddle shifters and their MPG is rated the same as the Sports. Perhaps because of the added weight from the moonroof is the reason for the similar rating?
EX & EX-L have paddle shifters with the CVT.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
I should have included this shot from the Honda webpage. The CVT is available at all trim levels, but the paddle shifters are limited to higher trim levels.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
To choose inferior things in life is almost sad.
Even as an owner of an EX...I don't know if it's fair to say an LX is choosing an inferior thing.

We're "sold" the idea that more is better. Keyless entries, push button starts, sunroofs, lane assists, back-up camera's, etc, etc, etc...

But once the novelty wears off? Once it all just becomes expected operation?

Well, The Fit is not a luxury car, any way you cut it.

There is something to be said for the simple dependable luxury of tried and true. One piece roofs without sunroofs, simple key entry, exit and ignition. And once upon a time, side mirrors that weren't as expensive to replace because the did NOT have cameras attached to them.

Safety features improve. What is expected as a baseline on all vehicles gets changed and the bar raised with the passage of time.
But simple, cheaper isn't necessarily inferior.

What percentage of our driving experience is simply getting behind the wheel and driving and isn't tied to the luxuries we now expect?
An LX will get you from point A to point B, in just about the exact same manner as a EX.

Don't get me wrong, I like my "extra's". But I do worry about the day the keyless entry stops working, or the push button start fails, or the sunroof starts leaking.

At that point the "inferiority" of simply a set of keys, a turn key ignition, and a solid one piece roof, all become pretty desirable.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
The inferior comment is comical as we're all driving the cheapest model in Honda's lineup. I guess we have to be able to look down our noses at someone else haha

Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
fitchet and 2Rismo2, I completely see where you are coming from, but I think you read my comment slightly out of context.

My point was regarding preferring steel wheels and a Kia over alloys and a Honda. The poster was saying that, given the choice, he'd pick steel wheels over alloys. There is nothing "better" about steel wheels.

I am forced by constraints of many kinds to end up owning the things I own, but I don't choose them over the better things. I end up with them because they make more sense.

Another way of looking at it is...we didn't choose our Fit, it chose us. If I were choosing a car, it would be a Porsche 911 Turbo S. Sadly for me, one hasn't chosen me yet.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT - No offense was taken, certainly didn't mean to give any either.

The Fit is my utilitarian car. It gets me from A-B and if I wasn't price conscious I would certainly get something more fun. To me the jump from LX to EX at the time I purchased was worth it for what you get. I don't know anyone who likes steelies over alloys but there is always that odd duck out there

Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
i chose the fit

Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I don't know anyone who likes steelies over alloys but there is always that odd duck out there
I don't prefer steelies over alloys, but I don't mind 'em, given a wheel cover that covers the wheel enough that you don't see the steel wheel under it. I don't mind, the steels on my LX, but I ditched the factory Honda wheelcovers......had a wild hair up my butt the other day, thought about springing for a set of full moon wheelcovers - I had a set on an older car decades back, thought they looked cool, am debating how cool they'd look on a black Fit

Old 12-15-2017, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
maybe on a beetle but the GK has too many sharp lines.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Here's my EX with winter tires on steelies. I actually like the Honda Accord clone hubcaps more than the Fit OEM alloy design.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:48 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DoctorBuzz
I was going to buy a 2018 Fit LX w/ Sensing, but decided to opt for a 2015 Kia Rio w/ 6 spd MT instead, since it was 1/3rd the price as a brand new Fit.
It was a third of the price because in 5 years it be worth 1/2 of what a Fit it. Up where I am (Canada) a Fit seems to hold its value better than a Civic and much better than a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda or any of the domestics.

Originally Posted by Fuelish
As far as the manual, no, Honda hasn't "lost their way," I find it a fine shifting trans.....they just made an unfortunate choice with the gearing choices of the top two gears.... 5th should've been the same as the last gen and 6th should've been a proper overdrive. Hwy mpg would be better and cruising drone would be lessened, neither of them deal breakers for me. The factory ratios as is are pretty fun in the mountain twisties around us, being close in the higher end. Fine trans, just an unfortunate choice of squeezing in the unneeded 5th gear (6th is virtually the same as 5th on 2nd gens) and not stretching out 6th for better hwy use for most folks
I'm very happy with the shifting of the Fit's 6MT as well even though it isn't nearly as good as my Civic Si which itself isn't nearly as good as my MX-5. It's all relative.

As for proper overdrive for the Fit, I actually like the ratios because as you mentioned the factory ratios as is are fun. Under acceleration those ratios work to keep the car in VTEC when you need it. I've never found myself wanting more power in this car because the ratios help keep the engine on boil. I'm still averaging 40 mpg.

It reminds me a lot of my EM1 Si with it's B16A. That car had a 5-speed and revved at 4500 RPM on the highway but if I needed to pass, I could just drop a gear, fall right into VTEC and wind the car out to 8000 RPM. That car really came alive above 5500 RPM. It was almost as fast as my K24 powered Si.