3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A bit jealous

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
A bit jealous

My 2015 CPO EXL-Nav replaced a 1994 Jeep Cherokee so it has been great but my brother just purchased a brand new 2017 VW Golf SE. I paid 19,000 out the door with 13,500 Miles and 2 years old. He paid 23,500 out the door and got way more features.
The finish of interior especially stands out as superior to the Fit. Electric seats with lumbar adjustment, way better sound system, better keyless entry system, 4 wheel disc brakes. Just an overall more plush/luxurious feel. I know it doesn’t get as good mpg but wow what a difference. Really makes the fit seem entry level. Heck VW included the cargo cover. I must say I have a little buyers remorse. Just venting..sorry

Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
How do you feel about yourself?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:08 AM
The Fit IS an economy car....

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Wait until later in the race.
10 or so years ago, I was looking for my next purchase and looked at Honda, VW, and every option that appealed.
I thought VW's...did have absolutely the best fit and finish.

But at the time, what I wanted was in scarce supply and demand. I ended up getting a 2010 Honda Fit.

Since that time, we've had the VW emissions software scandal. And I've read a lot of posts from VW owners that aren't particularly happy with long term reliability or repair costs.

Whose vehicle turns out to be the best value. over the next 6 years or more, is really up in the air.

If it makes you feel better...ask your brother if he can configure his "magic" seats.
That's a pretty great...and unique benefit of The Honda Fit.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Totally different classes of cars. If you spent $4k more, your options would have been greater.

FWIW: I think the Fit is the most fun, roomy, and practical car at its price point.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
VW/Audi have always had nice interiors. If you wanted that level of interior luxury, you'd have to put up with: 1. Higher list price. 2. Questionable powertrain reliability. 3. Higher parts and service costs.

So that $4500 difference in up-front costs can get to be a lot more in ongoing costs. Think about that the next time your Fit needs service, would you mind paying a lot more for the equivalent Golf service on top of your already increased car payments? The Golf is a nice car, no argument there, but it'll come at a cost.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
My last family car was an A4 Jetta. I used to spend a lot more time at the mechanic, too, and after a while he told me VW designs cars to last about 3 years, and then half the accessory systems start to fail. That way they can compare the cost of the repairs to the cost of a new car, and make another sale.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
My last family car was an A4 Jetta. I used to spend a lot more time at the mechanic, too, and after a while he told me VW designs cars to last about 3 years, and then half the accessory systems start to fail. That way they can compare the cost of the repairs to the cost of a new car, and make another sale.
Which reminds me .... back about 30+ years ago I was waiting in a VW service department for my car when another customer waiting there got called up to the counter and was given the estimate for what it would cost to fix his car. He was told that the entire front end suspension was shot and that it would cost $800 to replace everything. That was a lot of money 30+ years ago and he was in absolute shock as he looked at the estimate of the repairs. It was obviously completely unexpected.

Now as it happened the salesperson who had originally sold him the car (which was less than 3 years old now) happened to be walking by and recognized his old customer in the service area. He walked over to say hi to him whereupon the customer immediately started in on his tale of woe and the $800 repair bill. The salesman never missed a beat and immediately jumped in telling the customer that this would be a great time to buy another brand new Jetta!

I practically fell off my chair laughing as the salesperson started spinning a sales pitch. Yeah sure, when your VW falls apart in 3 years time you should buy another one so you can get 3 years out of that? ROFL. I never forgot that incident and when I got rid of my VW I certainly never considered VW for another car. They were dead to me - and to a lot of other people. I used to run into former VW owners at the Toyota dealership and we'd share VW horror stories. We were all so happy to be Toyota owners now.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
It's kinda funny that a number of us here on Fit Freak also own VW Golfs, as discussed in the thread below. We love our 2017 Golf Wolfsburg; it's our second VW. The base MK7 Golf has a 1.8 Turbo that supplies 170 HP and 184 LB/FT and it's a fun ride.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...-wofsburg.html

Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I don't have much experience with cars. I am 52 and this is only my 5th car. The first being a 66 mustang hand me down that I wish I had kept. I was only noticing how much more was on the car for 4500 more. Time will tell for reliability. Thanks for the input and info on VWs.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
must be nice to have Golfs.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Your car wasn't made by a company that had no moral issues with lying about their pollution levels and creating so much extra pollution that more Americans will die of cancer because of them.

So be glad you're not supporting that criminal enterprise.

Also your car will probably cost less to insure and drive, and last longer. And it's way easier to park.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Your car wasn't made by a company that had no moral issues with lying about their pollution levels and creating so much extra pollution that more Americans will die of cancer because of them.

Also your car will probably cost less to insure and drive, and last longer. And it's way easier to park.
Ok I’m over it now. Thanks for the pat on the back I was looking for. 👍👍

Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
We have a Golf Wolfsburg and a Honda Fit.

There is no comparing the two vehicles. The Fit is pure economy car and will be much cheaper to own in the long run.

The VW is so much better/nicer of a car it isn't even in the same category to us. Funny thing is, our Wolfsburg was cheaper than a new EX-L Fit.

That's only the purchase price though. In the long run, the Honda will be far cheaper to operate.

Boils down to what you want. Cheap or nice.

In investment terms, the Honda is a buy and hold. The VW is a buy and sell. We'll just enjoy it till it has problems and move on.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

with your silly logic, go toss out everything you got made by corporate china. lol

Old 12-21-2017, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
My Aunt's Golf is a better new car. It really is much more substantial than the Fit. As well, the Mazda3 handles better than the Fit. Both cars have a higher initial purchase price.

Still I bought a Fit because I value flexibility, cargo capacity and utility over comfort. You may be different. Interestingly many posters here willingly recommend alternatives to the Fit, which is good. The Fit, as is any car, is a niche product.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
I do like the size, outside and inside, better than the Golfs. That said, better carpet, better apholstery ( the leatherette with air holes is a better product in my opinion), 4 wheel discs, included cargo cover, side mirror turn signal markers, better sound system and stereo head unit, nicer shift console would be easily included elements that would make the fit the even more perfect compact utility car that it is. Hard not to notice these few things when checking out the Golf. Would I trade the fit for a golf? No but would like it more with those things? Yes.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
Well put first honda.

It's good that the Golf is out there to push Honda towards interior and chassis refinements. It's good that the Fit is out there to push VW for fuel economy and use of space.

Competition is good for everyone.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
ill be at the detroit auto show for work next month so i will have a good look at the regular Golf (and the new Golf-R ) ive never really sat in a regular Golf so dont know how different from the Golfs i have..

Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ken- I'd think the only real difference will be the Golf does not have sport seats. Should feel the same in just about every way. IMHO the Golf is a darned nicely appointed car. We are expecting a full report from MoTown Ken. ;-)

Quick Reply: A bit jealous