3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Eco Mode...The Little Light that Lies???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I think people like to be optimistic, and they look for the best.
Or, they are looking at the lie-o-meter on the dash for the first few gallons of the tank and not doing the actual math.

Running a tank from full to empty and then dividing the miles driven by the fuel used is the only real measure. To be even more real, that needs to be done over a few tanks to account for variances in how much you top off the tank.

I can't speak for the GK Fit, but my Dad's CR-V goes from being nearly 6mpg optimistic early in a tank to being 2 - 3 mpg optimistic by the end. Never does it go as low as the actual mileage.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know, the MPG I get, it the MPG I get. It's a newer Fit, lower miles and I keep it well maintained.
According to the EPA for a 2016 EX the MPG is 32 city, 38 Highway.

Not calling anyone a liar, but most of my life and with most of my vehicles, I've never got as good a MPG as most people report. I think people like to be optimistic, and they look for the best. But I've never owned a vehicle where I was getting the same "best" a lot of people would report. And I don't think that can all be bad luck. So I've come to the overall "life" conclusion that some people are just very optimistic in their reporting.
Even here in Fit Freak, I read the posts where people are reporting "Hybrid" like MPG. I'm always skeptical.
If I'm getting anything near the reported EPA MPG...then I think the vehicle is operating fine.

I do some mixed driving, but the majority of my driving is city driving. When I take it for a long highway road trip? The MPG will go up to the "Higher 30's" but not in mixed driving or city driving.

I basically can go 300, 310+ on the Fits small gas tank...10.6 gallon capacity, and usually have a gallon or more left when I decide to refuel.
I'm not unhappy with the fuel economy, I just don't get "Hybrid" numbers.
It's nice to refill...and be buying less than 10 gallons.
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Or, they are looking at the lie-o-meter on the dash for the first few gallons of the tank and not doing the actual math.

Running a tank from full to empty and then dividing the miles driven by the fuel used is the only real measure. To be even more real, that needs to be done over a few tanks to account for variances in how much you top off the tank.

I can't speak for the GK Fit, but my Dad's CR-V goes from being nearly 6 mpg optimistic early in a tank to being 2 - 3 mpg optimistic by the end. Never does it go as low as the actual mileage.
All right, let's see. For the record, I have a '15 Honda Fit EX, six-speed manual, which I purchased new in March of 2015. My dad was a consummate record keeper, and as his son, I've kept records of every gallon of gas I've put in the car since I've owned it. Tonight I sat down and figured my average mileage for the entire time I've owned the car. As of the most recent fill-up, I've driven 58,006 miles and have consumed exactly 1,463.46 gallons of gasoline. Dividing the mileage by the fuel used, that yields an ACTUAL fuel economy of 39.63 MPG, handily beating the EPA highway figure. That's the average of ALL driving, winter and summer, town and country, snow tires and summer tires, so it IS possible to beat the EPA figures.

I went through this exercise because I know I've posted mileage figures here before, for this car as well as my previous '09 Fit and I don't like having my honesty questioned, however indirectly.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Because people who get low mileage aren't bragging about the great mileage they're getting, so what you see on the internet is skewed. I get great mileage when I do highway driving at 60 mph. When I'm going 80, or in very stop-and-go city traffic, or driving 2 miles at a time, I get much lower mileage.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
All right, let's see. For the record, I have a '15 Honda Fit EX, six-speed manual, which I purchased new in March of 2015. My dad was a consummate record keeper, and as his son, I've kept records of every gallon of gas I've put in the car since I've owned it. Tonight I sat down and figured my average mileage for the entire time I've owned the car. As of the most recent fill-up, I've driven 58,006 miles and have consumed exactly 1,463.46 gallons of gasoline. Dividing the mileage by the fuel used, that yields an ACTUAL fuel economy of 39.63 MPG, handily beating the EPA highway figure. That's the average of ALL driving, winter and summer, town and country, snow tires and summer tires, so it IS possible to beat the EPA figures.

I went through this exercise because I know I've posted mileage figures here before, for this car as well as my previous '09 Fit and I don't like having my honesty questioned, however indirectly.
To help prove your point, can you give us a screen shot of your trip computer mileage at over 350 miles and show the mpg on the lie-o-meter? That would leave you with more than 2 gallons left before fill up.

Just for the heck of it, don't add fuel during the test.

Last edited by GAFIT; 10-07-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 PM
32mpg? How? I've never seen a tank avg lower than 35ish, and that was banging gears and ringing out the throttle.

Edit: i also live in the mid Atlantic, so no arctic cold snaps..

Edit: perhaps I'm being ignorant. There are quite a few variables that play into mpg. It's likely that no 2 drivers will fill in the same values for those variables.

Last edited by knope; 10-08-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
I've done about 65k and these are my numbers after tracking them on Google spreadsheet.

Average MPG 41.688
Average Fuel Cost $16.79
Average Per Gallon $2.264

I have no reason to misrepresent my numbers, though some people may be skeptical. Don't people know that if it's on the internet, it must be true?

*Not corrected for 205/50/16 tires after 40k, but the difference is very minor.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Nice numbers from both Gary and 2Rismo2!

Guessing that neither of you commute in heavy traffic cities? I think it's the people that sit in traffic with their A/C running that don't get great mileage. Just nature of that kind of driving.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member

Guessing that neither of you commute in heavy traffic cities? I think it's the people that sit in traffic with their A/C running that don't get great mileage. Just nature of that kind of driving.
No, I don’t commute in the city. I live in a fairly rural area so my time sitting in traffic is minimal. I’m retired now but did drive to and from work for the first two years I had the car. OTOH, I’m not doing any hypermileing tricks either.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member

I live in a semi rural area but commute about 85 miles round-trip into town. I'm in the DC metro area so traffic can be pretty bad. I have found that taking back roads to avoid the highway is sometimes better. At least your moving must of the time versus doing a lot of stop and go on I95.

I'll take a picture of the trip screen when I get a free moment. This last tank will not be as good, but I've been doing a lot of short errands while taking care of my wife after she gave birth.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member

Current trip isn't the greatest, but been running a lot of short errands for my wife while she's recovering from childbirth versus my normal commute.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2

Current trip isn't the greatest, but been running a lot of short errands for my wife while she's recovering from childbirth versus my normal commute.
Thanks! Neat that it gives some history also! Us driving archaic Honda's don't get to see all that fancy stuff

Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! Neat that it gives some history also! Us driving archaic Honda's don't get to see all that fancy stuff
Nerd alert:

We know how inaccurate the on board trip meters can be, so I still track it the old fashioned way by having a spreadsheet. As you can see, it doesn't match up exactly.

I use a google form accessible through a web browser to populate the spreadsheet

Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Neeeeerrrrdddd!

Sorry, couldn't resist I like automotive based nerdism. Actually, I like all nerdism. Yup, I aspire to be a nerd some day. Since I'm in my mid 40's, I need to get working toward nerdism if I'm going to pull it off.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Just for the record, I'm not calling anyone a liar.
Whatever MPG you are getting? Good for you.

I'm just saying the EPA MPG for my Honda Fit is reported as " Up to 32 city, 38 Highway". I do more stop and go, short trip travel so if I'm getting anything near those numbers, I simply think the vehicle is functioning fine.
If you are saying you are getting 40+ MPG in mixed driving? You are getting MORE than the reported max, for straight highway driving. Yeah, I'm skeptical but? I'm not going to argue with anyone.
On a few long highway road trips, I've had my single tank MPG rise up to closer to the 38 highway. But I don't think I've ever averaged above 40 mpg for a tank.

I don't consider myself a hard driver. But I've never with any vehicle I've owned gotten MPG numbers that exceeded the EPA numbers in any significant way.

The only thing that bothers me, is when these "Hybrid" numbers get reported, you get Newbies and new owners wondering why they aren't getting 40+ mpg. My contention is that the EPA and Honda themselves do not promise or advertise these numbers.

If I can get anything close to EPA or window sticker MPG? I'm not unhappy. And I don't drive expecting to get more.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Calling some people optimistic with their numbers just seems like a passive aggressive euphemistic way of calling someone less than truthful. Just my opinion.

Here's how I do it. I run usually 35 PSI on all four tires. Plus if you drive smart, you can time lights and traffic so you're not stopping as much. Rear sway bar helps not having to slow down for turns and saving your momentum.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
I think that any fuel mileage discussion just has to include two important parts. 1. How the mileage was calculated and 2. the type of driving done.

If number 1 is answered with anything other than manual calculation, then any fuel mileage number provided is null and void.

Here's a drastic example of how I could skew reality by ignoring number 2...

Filled my Lincoln up yesterday and got dead on 26.5 mpg. That is it's normal. But, I would be skipping the fact that it's the normal mileage it gets roughly 10 tanks a year. Yesterday was a business trip where I ran the entire tank through with the cruise set between 75 and 85.

Reality is that the average over the past 32,xxx miles has been 21.5 mpg. Quite a bit lower than my last tank.

It would be much harder to stretch the reality in our GD Fit. It has never gotten good or bad fuel mileage. It's been stuck between 32 and 34 mpg pretty much it's whole life. We never drove it slow enough on the highway to get good mileage. Vtec comes on at around 73 mph with it and we drive faster than that which hurts it and it was very rarely used in the pure true city stop and go traffic.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Surpassing EPA numbers is easy, Hondas all seem to be underrated in my experience.

Both of my Fits were rated for 27ish city and 33ish highway. My lifetime averages (around 110k between the two) are 37.1 for the GE8 and 37.3 for the GD3.

And for reference, I've lived in a metro area of around one million people for the vast majority of my time owning the GE.

Shoot, even my S2000 is rated for 18/25 and I've got a lifetime average of 27.6 MPG. That's with regularly ripping to 9000 RPM, needlessly wide & sticky tires (higher rolling resistance) and probably a few modifications that add drag.

It may be my driving style, but I've found surpassing EPA numbers to be an incredibly doable thing (I think I've had two tanks below the EPA highway number in the four years I've owned my GE) and it also very much extends brake pad life (OEM pads in the Fit are still healthy at 100k miles)

Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Calling some people optimistic with their numbers just seems like a passive aggressive euphemistic way of calling someone less than truthful. Just my opinion.
No because I don't think it has anything to do with "truth" or "lies".
That is, why should I bother to argue? I think people reporting higher gas mileage REALLY believe they are getting that gas mileage. And maybe they are?

I'm really just pointing out what the EPA and Honda say's you should expect.

Also, I'm just being honest. I don't think it could all be attributed to bad luck, but I've NEVER owned a vehicle where I was the guy magically getting 4-10 gallons more per MPG than the EPA. And with every vehicle I've owned, you always have owners saying...I average 40+ MPG...on a vehicle that is rated for 40 highway, 33 city, and 36 mixed.

To me? If you are getting gas mileage anywhere near the EPA numbers? Then IMO the vehicle is fine.
If people proclaim they can beat those numbers...sometimes significantly? More power to ya.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:39 PM
You can beat the numbers. With my 2010 Fit (rated 27/33) I averaged 30 mpg. But one trip I drove exactly 55 mph late at night with no traffic and I got 40 mpg.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
No because I don't think it has anything to do with "truth" or "lies".
That is, why should I bother to argue? I think people reporting higher gas mileage REALLY believe they are getting that gas mileage. And maybe they are?

I'm really just pointing out what the EPA and Honda say's you should expect.

Also, I'm just being honest. I don't think it could all be attributed to bad luck, but I've NEVER owned a vehicle where I was the guy magically getting 4-10 gallons more per MPG than the EPA. And with every vehicle I've owned, you always have owners saying...I average 40+ MPG...on a vehicle that is rated for 40 highway, 33 city, and 36 mixed.

To me? If you are getting gas mileage anywhere near the EPA numbers? Then IMO the vehicle is fine.
If people proclaim they can beat those numbers...sometimes significantly? More power to ya.
It is your driving style. If you've never once beat EPA ratings, the only constant is you, not the car or the ratings.

Quick Reply: Eco Mode...The Little Light that Lies???