3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Eco Mode...The Little Light that Lies???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Eco Mode...The Little Light that Lies???

OK...upfront, my sample size is relatively small.
And also, the weather has turned colder, which I know affects MPG.
BUT...

I usually and predominantly drive in regular mode. But just for kicks sometimes after a fill up, I'll hit the ECO button. Go for a full tank driving in ECO.

Why is my gas mileage typically WORSE in ECO mode? My normal mode average usually in mixed driving stays at least in the 30-32 mpg range. I've run nearly a full tank in ECO and it is in the 28 mpg range.

I check my tires PSI...so I know it's not that.
The only outside factor which might be significant is a relative cold snap. But for the mileage in ECO to be 4 miles per gallon worse?

I'm also curious as to exactly what ECO mode does. As far as I can tell, it seems like the accelerator pedal is remapped to be a little less sensitive. But that could be my imagination.
Outside of that? I don't notice any difference between ECO mode or Normal Mode...except that in ECO...my gas mileage is actually a little worse.

Anyone else have a totally different experience or some inside knowledge as to exactly what factors ECO mode is suppose to be adjusting?

My owners manual says " The ECON mode helps you improve fuel economy by adjusting the performance of the engine, transmission, heating and cooling system* / climate control system*, and cruise control*. "

That's a LOT of things supposedly being affected and adjusted. I don't notice it. Aside from the Fit being a little less peppy on initial acceleration, I don't notice much of any change. And like I said, since Honda isn't admitting to any accelerator pedal change...that might be my imagination too.....

Off to the side their is a very limited explanatory box that tells you that in ECO mode the climate control system has greater temperature fluctuations.

Then at the bottom, the (*) is explained as simply meaning not all those features are available on all models.

I just wonder if anyone attests to any great improvement in ECO...or has a deeper knowledge of exactly what is being adjusted.
Or why it seems with me, ECO returns poorer MPG than not using it.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
ECO mode is just a marketing gimmick aimed at gullible buyers. I've never seen it make any significant difference on any car I've ever owned and I always leave it off now.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
For me, ECON mode gets maybe 1-2+MPG higher than regular mode. It definitely remaps acceleration so maybe you're unconsciously compensating and adding more throttle throwing off the numbers. It also seems to use lower RPM at the same speed and I've seen this myself. Find yourself on a flat straight road and put in cruise control and check your RPM. Then turn on ECON mode and see what it does. Turn it back off and check again. I can hear the engine sound fluctuate, but maybe that's easier because I've got an HKS Silent Hi-Power

Old 12-22-2017, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
ECON blunts throttle response, reduces fan blower speed when A/C is on, and encourages the CVT to use a lower RPM as 2Rismo2 stated above. I leave it on all the time. Times when you might want to turn it off: climbing steep grades, or situations where you need to merge onto a freeway with a short ramp and need every last ounce of engine power to get up to speed quickly.

I happen to like the blunting of the throttle response. If you're in stop-and-go traffic, the car just inches ahead when you ease off the gas pedal.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try my next tank with ECO off...again.
I don't expect the ambient temperature to get warmer. And I'll see what my average MPG become for that tank. If it is even less than my current 28 mpg? Then I suppose it shows some MPG benefit.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
ECON blunts throttle response, reduces fan blower speed when A/C is on, and encourages the CVT to use a lower RPM as 2Rismo2 stated above. I leave it on all the time. Times when you might want to turn it off: climbing steep grades, or situations where you need to merge onto a freeway with a short ramp and need every last ounce of engine power to get up to speed quickly.

I happen to like the blunting of the throttle response. If you're in stop-and-go traffic, the car just inches ahead when you ease off the gas pedal.

I don't know why you're getting less mpg in Econ mode. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It does reduce rpm on the hwy. It may not increase mpg by much overall but it certainly shouldn't reduce it. I do know that it doesn't take much at all to make a mpg change + or - in these little cars. Headwinds, tailwinds, temperature, even rain will impact it - you live in Oregon right?

I've had a couple of recent 500 mile trips with the Econ mode on all the way. Over the same terrain, same weather conditions, same speed (75 mph) and got 46.2 mpg on one trip and 41.5 mpg on the other. The numbers are correct because I checked the results manually and they pretty much matched the dash display mpg. So what happened? Don't really know. Anyway, I think you just need to get a larger sample size for now and let us know what the results are. I'm betting it all balances out but I could be wrong.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick

I don't know why you're getting less mpg in Econ mode. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It does reduce rpm on the hwy. It may not increase mpg by much overall but it certainly shouldn't reduce it. I do know that it doesn't take much at all to make a mpg change + or - in these little cars. Headwinds, tailwinds, temperature, even rain will impact it - you live in Oregon right?

I've had a couple of recent 500 mile trips with the Econ mode on all the way. Over the same terrain, same weather conditions, same speed (75 mph) and got 46.2 mpg on one trip and 41.5 mpg on the other. The numbers are correct because I checked the results manually and they pretty much matched the dash display mpg. So what happened? Don't really know. Anyway, I think you just need to get a larger sample size for now and let us know what the results are. I'm betting it all balances out but I could be wrong.
It's small sample size. I will continue to monitor. And as I said, the weather snapped and it has been much colder. So maybe that is the real determiner.

I may of jumped the gun on my disgruntlement. But this last tank of gas barely returned 28 mpg. And I expect more overall in mixed driving from my FIT. And it has, both this Generation and the old Gen 3 I use to own, always delivered. So I was surprised that with the ECON button being used, my gas mileage would actually drop to it's lowest.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
If ECON worked perfectly, ALL Hondas would be programmed that way, and you wouldn't be able to choose it with a button....

Old 12-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ECON mode makes the car feel sluggish and in turn makes me mash the gas... so nothing economy with me driving.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ECON mode makes the car feel sluggish and in turn makes me mash the gas... so nothing economy with me driving.
I kind of think maybe that is what is subconsciously happening with me. I think I push it harder, so I'm negating any Economy from the ECON.

I am now running this new tank with the ECON off...and the gas mileage is reporting 2 mpg higher.

I'm NOT blaming the ECON button, or even the setting. The fault may be mine. I think I'm hitting the ECON button but then pushing the vehicle to respond the same way as it does without the ECON button pushed, and probably that isn't so efficient.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
And as I said, the weather snapped and it has been much colder. So maybe that is the real determiner.
This is my first winter with my Fit. I was surprised how much the cold weather affects milage. It seems to more with this car than any other I've owned.

As for the ECO button, I leave it off most of the time. It does tend to net me an extra couple mpg, but really only if I make a concerted effort to NOT mash the throttle to overcome the aggressive programming just to get the car moving.

Last edited by sneefy; 12-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I kind of think maybe that is what is subconsciously happening with me. I think I push it harder, so I'm negating any Economy from the ECON.

I am now running this new tank with the ECON off...and the gas mileage is reporting 2 mpg higher.

I'm NOT blaming the ECON button, or even the setting. The fault may be mine. I think I'm hitting the ECON button but then pushing the vehicle to respond the same way as it does without the ECON button pushed, and probably that isn't so efficient.
yah, when i get into the GK i usually turn it off. i prefer the quicker throttle response curve. good to hear youre killing 2 birds with one stone with the ECON mode off.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
"As far as I can tell, it seems like the accelerator pedal is remapped to be a little less sensitive. But that could be my imagination."

That's what the owner's manual says, is one of the things that the ECO button does. I've found the decrease in sensitivity to be quite noticeable. The only time I use the eco button is when driving in stop-and-go traffic. That way the car does not repeatedly lurch forward each time the car ahead moves only a few feet. I might also consider using it if i were, say, parallel parking in a tight spot, and wanted to move the car forward just a short distance, and an exact distance. But I haven't used it this way yet.

Last edited by nomenclator; 12-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
The AC, which you did not use in your cold area in either normal or econ mode, probably has lot to do with fuel economy since I believe the compressor is bypassed during stoppages.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Like others have said I also just add 1 or 2 mpg on Eco mode. Which to me is bull$hit. I always just keep it off and I stay at 28/29mpg nyc driving

Old 12-28-2017, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
This is my first winter with my Fit. I was surprised how much the cold weather affects milage. It seems to more with this car than any other I've owned.
I just started another thread, not realizing this one was commenting on mpg in cold weather. On a 275 mile trip I got 49.4 mpg one way and 38.6 mpg the other, both with ECO on. The only real difference in the trips was one was done at 15 above zero Fahrenheit and the other was done at 4 below. The last time I saw a mileage drop like that was on another car where my fuel pump was failing and leaking gas all over the pavement.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 AM
I used an OBD reader to test the Econ button and posted the results in this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-results.html

The Econ definitely helps mileage but not by much. It would help more if you were running the AC. Also if you want to measure your mileage you should track how many gallons the gas pump reads when filling up, then divide by odometer difference because the trip computer mpg can be off by 10% which is greater than the 2 mpg difference you are seeing, so it's possible your mpg actually is better but your measurement tool is too inaccurate to show it.

Econ mainly blunts the throttle response which helps you accelerate slower. If you still accelerate just as fast then you would probably see almost no gain whatsoever. If you really want to save mpg, try to keep the eco gauge around the speedometer green colored as much as possible by accelerating slowly. The econ button makes it easier to accelerate slowly.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
I used an OBD reader to test the Econ button and posted the results in this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-results.html

The Econ definitely helps mileage but not by much. It would help more if you were running the AC. Also if you want to measure your mileage you should track how many gallons the gas pump reads when filling up, then divide by odometer difference because the trip computer mpg can be off by 10% which is greater than the 2 mpg difference you are seeing, so it's possible your mpg actually is better but your measurement tool is too inaccurate to show it.

Econ mainly blunts the throttle response which helps you accelerate slower. If you still accelerate just as fast then you would probably see almost no gain whatsoever. If you really want to save mpg, try to keep the eco gauge around the speedometer green colored as much as possible by accelerating slowly. The econ button makes it easier to accelerate slowly.
Right, the econ button makes it easier to accelerate slowly. Simultaneously, it makes it harder to accelerate quickly. But not impossible.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM
I'll try my next tank with ECO off...again.
I don't expect the ambient temperature to get warmer. And I'll see what my average MPG become for that tank. If it is even less than my current 28 mpg? Then I suppose it shows some MPG benefit.
28 mpg! What are you hauling? Newbie w only 400 on the clock are mine, but starting w a fresh tank I haven't dropped out of the high 30s.

Hi, I'm a new owner, should probably do a proper hello post and start a thread; I'm here for the duration.
2015 ex cvt, passionberry DD w kids,

Old 10-07-2018, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I'm haulin' THE TRUTH...

Originally Posted by EGtoFitTransient
28 mpg! What are you hauling? Newbie w only 400 on the clock are mine, but starting w a fresh tank I haven't dropped out of the high 30s.

Hi, I'm a new owner, should probably do a proper hello post and start a thread; I'm here for the duration.
2015 ex cvt, passionberry DD w kids,
I don't know, the MPG I get, it the MPG I get. It's a newer Fit, lower miles and I keep it well maintained.
According to the EPA for a 2016 EX the MPG is 32 city, 38 Highway.

Not calling anyone a liar, but most of my life and with most of my vehicles, I've never got as good a MPG as most people report. I think people like to be optimistic, and they look for the best. But I've never owned a vehicle where I was getting the same "best" a lot of people would report. And I don't think that can all be bad luck. So I've come to the overall "life" conclusion that some people are just very optimistic in their reporting.
Even here in Fit Freak, I read the posts where people are reporting "Hybrid" like MPG. I'm always skeptical.
If I'm getting anything near the reported EPA MPG...then I think the vehicle is operating fine.

I do some mixed driving, but the majority of my driving is city driving. When I take it for a long highway road trip? The MPG will go up to the "Higher 30's" but not in mixed driving or city driving.

I basically can go 300, 310+ on the Fits small gas tank...10.6 gallon capacity, and usually have a gallon or more left when I decide to refuel.
I'm not unhappy with the fuel economy, I just don't get "Hybrid" numbers.
It's nice to refill...and be buying less than 10 gallons.

Quick Reply: Eco Mode...The Little Light that Lies???