3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda somewhat disingenuous...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
Use RAIN-X and you will not need the wipers.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
You were suggesting there was some additional definition beyond what I was showing. Some semi-colon and another defintion.
There is not.
Yes there is. It's RIGHT THERE.

OK. I'll be as clear as I possibly can here since you demonstrate you either don't know what a semicolon is or simply don't see it.

This is a Semicolon below, enlarged
;

Your definition, quoted verbatim:
occurring at IRREGULAR intervals; not continuous or steady
See the semicolon? It's the only punctuation in that quote. In this context, that means it separates two possible definitions.
1. "occurring at IRREGULAR intervals"
2. "not continuous or steady"

In your head, try treating the semicolon as 'or' instead of 'and' when reading those two separate clauses together. (I'd be happy to debate the multiple and contextual usages of the semicolon if you like, as well)

Because IMO in the auto making world INT...should automatically mean adjustable and variable.
Again, it doesn't matter that in your opinion it should mean 'variable'. That's not what it actually means. Just because that's how you understand it doesn't mean you are correct and that the world should change the factual definition.

So...when you choose INT as the Wiper Setting....seems to me it is nearly exactly CONSTANT.
It's just a very, very slow setting.
Except it is empirically NOT constant. The lack of constant action is defined here by the 'pause' in sweep-pause-sweep-pause.

If there were no pause, then it would be constant, irrespective of speed. So, again, it doesn't matter how it seems to you because your opinion simply doesn't fit the objective, measurable, definable facts.

Last edited by sneefy; 12-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
The pause in swipes on the intermittent setting IS CONSTANT.
The pause is steady, repeated, and constant. Exactly the same amount of pause inbetween swipes. It's a long pause, but the pause is repeated identically.
How you can deny that and continue to deny that is unfathomable to me.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
maybe he got rocks for xmas.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
This thread IMO has gotten way off track in an IDIOTIC debate over the definition of "Intermittent".
Go ahead and believe whatever you want to believe.
My point hasn't changed and is pretty simple to comprehend.

I'll fall on my own sword that I should of precisely asked if The Fit had "Variable" intermittent wipers. And I did not.
Whatever definition or reality you want to attach to INT as it is labeled on the Honda Wiper Stalk, I'm still disappointed that The Fit doesn't have a true adjustable intermittent capability.

In my climate, it's a nice feature. Not a deal breaking feature, but nice. And yes, personally I feel labeling....super slow as INT...somewhat misleading.
As my previous vehicle had INT on the stalk, but then it was adjustable.
The first time I moved the stalk to INT and then discovered it was unadjustable was a disappointment.

Is the fault primarily mine for not using the term "Variable" in my original query? Or not checking it on the sunny, dry day I test drove? Yes....

Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
The pause in swipes on the intermittent setting IS CONSTANT.
The pause is steady, repeated, and constant. Exactly the same amount of pause inbetween swipes. It's a long pause, but the pause is repeated identically.
How you can deny that and continue to deny that is unfathomable to me.
I explained your exact confusion about this point in post 20. Go back and reread it carefully.

What is idiotic is that you created this thread based on a premise rooted in your own flawed understanding of what words actually mean. Unfortunately, you seem to let pride get in the way and will not admit that you are measurably and objectively wrong in your premise.

What is flabbergasting is that you continue to argue your original flawed premise as being correct when it is definitively NOT. It's not even a matter of opinion. You just don't understand the definition of words and sadly don't want to learn. If you have any interest in understanding the truth, I'm happy to continue.

If you knew what you were talking about, this thread either:

1. Wouldn't exist.
2. Would be titles something like "I wish Honda would put variable intermittent wipers on base models."

Old 12-28-2017, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still disappointed that The Fit doesn't have a true adjustable intermittent capability.
With this statement, I am in complete agreement. It's silly that any model would come without variable Intermittent wipers in this day and age.

Last edited by sneefy; 12-28-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
With this statement, I am in complete agreement. It's silly that any model would come without variable Intermittent wipers in this day and age.
But, but, but – it has variable intermittent wipers. They just aren't automatically variable. It has manually intermittant wipers. You can make the wipers wipe intermittantly by pushing the lever counterclockwise and allowing it to spring back. And in doing so, you enjoy a more engaging wiping experience.

Arghh ha ha ha ha.

Seriously fitchet, with lo or hi selected, the wipers function differently than with int selected. In lo and hi they go through a complete cycle of going all the way to the left and all the way to the right and back down to the starting position, and then they repeat this cycle without any pause between each cycle. In lo each cycle takes longer than in hi. With int selected a pause is added between each cycle. So it isn't just a slower motion in int; it is a different cycle. Instead of left-right-left-right, or left-right-left-right but more slowly, it is left-right-pause-left-right-pause.

Last edited by nomenclator; 12-28-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
But, but, but – it has variable intermittent wipers. They just aren't automatically variable. It has manually intermittant wipers. You can make the wipers wipe intermittantly by pushing the lever counterclockwise and allowing it to spring back. And in doing so, you enjoy a more engaging wiping experience.

Arghh ha ha ha ha.

Seriously fitchet, with lo or hi selected, the wipers function differently than with int selected. In lo and hi they go through a complete cycle of going all the way to the left and all the way to the right and back down to the starting position, and then they repeat this cycle without any pause between each cycle. In lo each cycle takes longer than in hi. With int selected a pause is added between each cycle. So it isn't just a slower motion in int; it is a different cycle. Instead of left-right-left-right, or left-right-left-right but more slowly, it is left-right-pause-left-right-pause.
I'm............Moving...........On............From .............The............Debate.

That was a very slow, reply.
But not an intermittent one.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
enjoy a more engaging wiping experience.
I couldn't ask for a more engaging wiping experience than this thread.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'm............Moving...........On............From .............The............Debate.

That was a very slow, reply.
But not an intermittent one.
True, it was not an intermittent reply. However it was an intermittent progression of words. The words in that reply were intermittent.

By the way I made an error in my last post but since it was already quoted and replied to, I am not going to fix it there. The error? I said "It has manually intermittant wipers." What I meant to say was "It has manually variable intermittent wipers.

And instead of saying "You can make the wipers wipe intermittantly by pushing the lever counterclockwise and allowing it to spring back," I should have said You can make the wipers wipe variably intermittently by variably intemittently pushing the lever counterclockwise and allowing it to spring back. Push it counter clockwise and let it spring back, wait three seconds, do it again, this time wait 5 seconds."

Last edited by nomenclator; 12-30-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member

Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Here is some interesting reading for those who are following this thread intermittently.

https://splinternews.com/there-is-an...-sp-1821622893

Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW, until our Fit, I didn't know that there was such a thing as non-variable intermittent wipers. You can chalk it up to a life long devotion to mostly domestic automobiles I guess, but even my '80's Fords had variable intermittent wipers. They also had other features missing on our Fit.

We love our Fit, but will probably never buy another Honda. The lack of features on even high trim levels is bewildering.

The lack of stuff helps them with reliability ratings. Less stuff to break. However, recent polls/surveys show they aren't doing well against even the brands that give a ton of features. I'm saddened by the current situation with Honda and hope it turns around quickly. They aren't just being beat by Toyota, but now by Kia and Hyundai.

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-02-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
The non variable intermittent wipers is labeled INT on Honda cars since the 1980's...

I hate how they designed the Fit wiper controls though, the 80's version was better. You could use the MIST function while the wipers were on the INT setting. With the Fit design, you just can't do this.