3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield Wipers - 2016 LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Windshield Wipers - 2016 LX

Had changed wiper inserts at least 3 times with fine results.

Suddenly, both front wipers seemed to have Parkinson's disease. Both vibrated wildly at the end of the blade where the blade meets the window corner.

Cleaned windshield and wipers with alcohol and things got better. Later, rain returned and and so did the Parkinson's.

Stopped at dealer and they were happy to inspect without an appointment. I was told that the metal part of the blades was redesigned and a metal tensioner was changed to plastic.

Not on warranty or Honda Care, so I bought two new blades. Issue solved.

Perhaps it would be best to change your entire blades every third replacement.

Last edited by Bob Levine; 02-08-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
parkinsons is nothing to be joking about..

Old 02-09-2018, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
parkinsons is nothing to be joking about..
Not intended to offend, only to describe the failure.

Sorry.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
The wiper blades have been a contention of dissatisfaction with my 2016 Honda Fit since I bought it new.

They almost immediately dragged and chattered. I tried everything, treatments of Rain-X would help for a limited amount of time.
Eventually I bought a pretty expensive set of Bosh wiper blades for the front. They are one piece and with no replaceable insert. They DO work a lot better. But I don't like that I can't just buy inserts for them. Once they wear out, it's an expensive replacement again.

Interesting that you say a part was redesigned. When I watched my original blades (which I have kept ) it seemed to me that they just weren't strong-firm enough against the glass, and would actually flex too much during the cycle, and thus start dragging and chattering.

If Honda has since fixed this problem, I think I'd much rather go with the OEM set up, if only because replacement of inserts is about 1/4th the cost of replacing entire blade set ups.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
The wiper blades have been a contention of dissatisfaction with my 2016 Honda Fit since I bought it new.

They almost immediately dragged and chattered. I tried everything, treatments of Rain-X would help for a limited amount of time.
Eventually I bought a pretty expensive set of Bosh wiper blades for the front. They are one piece and with no replaceable insert. They DO work a lot better. But I don't like that I can't just buy inserts for them. Once they wear out, it's an expensive replacement again.

Interesting that you say a part was redesigned. When I watched my original blades (which I have kept ) it seemed to me that they just weren't strong-firm enough against the glass, and would actually flex too much during the cycle, and thus start dragging and chattering.

If Honda has since fixed this problem, I think I'd much rather go with the OEM set up, if only because replacement of inserts is about 1/4th the cost of replacing entire blade set ups.
I think Honda made it worse by the redesign. Now, the entire blade must be changed after it loses tension. Both failed at the same time.

Perhaps your original inserts had been around too long before you purchased your FIT. Mine were bad like yours before I changed inserts.

Dealer was honest about the problem with the metal blade being weakened. Once the new blades were on, the problem went away.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
I had a similar experience when the car was new. After reading recommendations on this site I ordered (2 sets: saves postage) of inserts from College Hill, and they work quite well.

Wiper Insert (700mm)
Item# 76622-T6A-J01 $5.82 USD 2 $11.64 USD Wiper Insert (350mm)
Item# 76632-T5A-J02 $5.35 USD 2 $10.70 USD

Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, one of the first things I tried was new inserts, because they were cheap. And they really didn't help.
The BOSH wiper blades, which come as one whole piece assemblies, are working better. Passable.
But that was a pretty spendy investment. I kept the old blade assemblies, and when the BOSH do wear out, I'll probably go back to experimentation again.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
I put a set of Bosch Ikon blades on my son's Fit. He said the old ones were fine, but I figured I'd put new ones on for his cross country trip. Yes they are $pendy, but good vision is worth the cost. If you look around sometimes you can catch a buy one get one free sale.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going on my third set of OEM (25,000 miles), and they seem fine to me. RainX is terrific, though.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:26 PM
I haven't had the best results with OEM wiper blade inserts on my 2015 Fit. I'm on my third set. They seem like they need to be cleaned before use every time unless it's rained quite a bit, otherwise they streak - whether or not RainX/Invisible Glass is applied. I would say either of those always leave a haze that takes a second to clear after each wipe. But even when the blades are clean, they seem to leave a streaky haze that minor scratches in the glass can be seen. Do fine scratches have noticeable effects on how well the wipers work? Our 2013 always seems to work great, even when dirty. I'm considering seeing how well 2013 wipers work a a 2015 and if they work well, I may buy a second set.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bob Levine
I think Honda made it worse by the redesign. -

Dealer was honest about the problem with the metal blade being weakened. Once the new blades were on, the problem went away.
Well I'm somewhat confused.
How could the redesign be "worse" if replacing the old blades-metal inserts-with the "redesigned" blades fixed the problem?

I have 2016 EX, and I'm assuming the OEM blades are "Pre-Redesign".
I was going to be hopeful that if the blades were redesigned, it might solve my problem and was tacit admission by Honda that their old design was flawed.

It can't be that my original inserts sat around too long, as I did try replacing the OEM inserts, with new OEM inserts, almost immediately. No change.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
I had to buy the factory part.