3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Humidity and frost

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Humidity and frost

anyone else have issues with humidity and frost.....especially worse in the back seat with 4 passengers aboard?

I know all about having the A/C and Fresh Air intake on? any other tips other than cracking a window or scraping the inside?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, same on my GK, was the same on the GD and GE as well... just shows how under powered the hvac is on the car.

tell people inside to stop breathing.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Yes, on cold and damp mornings. Had to pull over more than once to try and clear the windshield. Sorry, I have no tips for you ...

Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Ask passengers to breathe thru a scarf etc. That dampens (?) the moisture they supply to the inside of your windows. They will still be alive when the heater finally warms up.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgs2000
They will still be alive when the heater finally warms up.
Is that a COMPLAINT? LOL

Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
You have to get the humidity out of the car. Crack a window when parked to dry the car out instead of trapping the moisture, and crack a window when driving to expel it.

Not much else you can do.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
In my experience, a lot of Winter humidity comes from melted snow on the floor mats/carpets.

Keep those dry to minimize window fog. (An argument for rubber mats!)

Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Here's a video with some ideas:

Old 01-02-2018, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Had particularly bad fogging today, with the family along. Found out the wife had turned the heat up to maximum because she was cold, and then a few minutes later turned the fan to zero because she was hot.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aelk799
anyone else have issues with humidity and frost.....especially worse in the back seat with 4 passengers aboard?
Ha ha ha, I had the same fogging problem while my panting dog was in the back with the magic seats up!

Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like your passengers need these before boarding lol:

Old 12-10-2019, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aelk799

I know all about having the A/C and Fresh Air intake on? any other tips other than cracking a window or scraping the inside?
Mine is terrible, even with one person. I think it has a lot to do with the windshield being at such a flat angle. It always frosts and fogs on both sides of the windshield and the defroster takes a painful amount of time to begin to clear it. I think i may have to get a remote start.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM
YES and this car SUCKS!

My 2019 Honda Fit LX is the worst car I've ever owned with regards to Winter humidity management. With ECO off - I cannot seem to get DEFROST (fresh air open) to remove even my Windshield interior humidity while the car is idling cold nor when the car is moving. I did a test today...I drove the car around the block at 4:30 am with the driver window down so that I could see "in front" and no amount of higher rpms could allow the AC to remove the windshield humidity.

I also noticed one addition "feature" - at operating temperature (vent: open; no A/C; heat: FULL RED) the heat temperature coming out of the vents is noticeably warmer when the car is at rest (in an Interstate pileup) than when it is moving (57 mph average). Several times this morning the idle hot air temperature was very warm compared to the moving hot air temperature [The heat transfer box containing the heater core must be a copper box that sits on top of the car to be this different]

Last edited by Jazu; 12-11-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: I like editing stuff
Old 12-12-2019, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I don't like anti-fog treatments.
Sure as above they work. BUT...
They work by putting a residue on your glass. Not sure I want to be putting shaving cream on the inside of my windows repeatedly. Perfumes, dyes, waxes, how are these going to react long term with the rubber seals of the window, the rollers in the electric window assembly? And eventually wouldn't a residue lead to your glass getting dirtier, quicker?
Selling point or detraction? Do you want your vehicle to smell like a old fashion Barber Shop?

Plus in the video, Chris Fix is using a premium brand of Shaving Cream. Not sure that's a good value for cost. I would of been interested in a step two of the test which compared longevity.
I would of been interested in a test using a cheaper Non-Gel shaving cream.
Admittedly just curiosity. I would probably NOT use anything regardless of results.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I don't like anti-fog treatments.
Sure as above they work. BUT...
They work by putting a residue on your glass. Not sure I want to be putting shaving cream on the inside of my windows repeatedly. Perfumes, dyes, waxes, how are these going to react long term with the rubber seals of the window, the rollers in the electric window assembly? And eventually wouldn't a residue lead to your glass getting dirtier, quicker?
Selling point or detraction? Do you want your vehicle to smell like a old fashion Barber Shop?

Plus in the video, Chris Fix is using a premium brand of Shaving Cream. Not sure that's a good value for cost. I would of been interested in a step two of the test which compared longevity.
I would of been interested in a test using a cheaper Non-Gel shaving cream.
Admittedly just curiosity. I would probably NOT use anything regardless of results.
Gillette Foamy red can works far better than Barbasol. I used to use this in Minnesota due to the Winter weather and that we had a unseated detached garage with a ton of melted/ frozen stuff on the floor