3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

hi! new 2018 owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
hi! new 2018 owner here!

hi, i'm a new 2018 orange Fit Sport owner. is there other 2018 owners here? i have a few questions for all GK experts.

1) i would like to lower the car 1 inch or so to reduce that ugly big wheel gap. which is the better option? coilover or spring + shocks? i noticed a few owners here go with the koni orange as choice. is it a better set up than coilover over long term (i was looking at ur basic megan/BC/godspeed coilovers)?

2) will a 16x8 +20 on 185/55/16 (stock tires) fit after 1 inch drop? i looked into the tire section and not many owners have low offset/wide wheels. and i didn't notice much fender on the fit to roll or pull compare to my other hondas

thanks all!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
1. swifts
2. too aggressive for 1" drop. youll need to slam a 8" wide et20 and roll fenders probably.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome!

Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
1. swifts
2. too aggressive for 1" drop. youll need to slam a 8" wide et20 and roll fenders probably.
i'm unable to find swifts springs from their website for a 2018 fit... mind directing me with a link? thx!

also, is koni orange shocks only compatible with eibach springs? (since other springs may be at different ride height and the koni shocks are not designed that way?)

Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
I used the konis with Megan Racing springs and have no issues. I've seen some posts where people run them with stock springs.

If you're trying to figure out whether to use coilovers or not, it helps to know what you're doing with the car. Racing on an actual track, it's probably the way to go since you can corner balance. But, since they're often biased towards track use, they can be significantly stiffer than commonly available lowering springs.

If you don't want it to be racecar stiff and harsh, you should probably start by looking at the spring rates for whichever options you're looking at.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I used the konis with Megan Racing springs and have no issues. I've seen some posts where people run them with stock springs.

If you're trying to figure out whether to use coilovers or not, it helps to know what you're doing with the car. Racing on an actual track, it's probably the way to go since you can corner balance. But, since they're often biased towards track use, they can be significantly stiffer than commonly available lowering springs.

If you don't want it to be racecar stiff and harsh, you should probably start by looking at the spring rates for whichever options you're looking at.
megan only offers 1 lowering springs for GK5 right? i don't intend to track, purely for street looks. but i'm unsure how long that OEM shocks can last with aftermarket springs...

Old 01-08-2018, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
When I got my springs there was only one option from them for the GK. Swift or any other brand made for any year GK ought to work, and even for street use, the higher spring rate really helps with reducing body roll.

You're right in thinking the stock shocks won't last as long, but they're wear items anyway. I got my car with about 60k miles on it, and it felt like the shocks were on the way out already. Are you doing the install yourself? Doesn't really take any more time to change shocks while you're doing springs, since the fronts have to come out as a unit, and the rear lower shock bolts have to come off to let the axle drop down and release the springs.

From reading other people's experiences with various springs, though, keeping the stock shocks doesn't really compromise handling. If it makes them last four years instead of five (arbitrary numbers, there's a lot of variables that affect longevity), then is that really a big problem?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
When I got my springs there was only one option from them for the GK. Swift or any other brand made for any year GK ought to work, and even for street use, the higher spring rate really helps with reducing body roll.

You're right in thinking the stock shocks won't last as long, but they're wear items anyway. I got my car with about 60k miles on it, and it felt like the shocks were on the way out already. Are you doing the install yourself? Doesn't really take any more time to change shocks while you're doing springs, since the fronts have to come out as a unit, and the rear lower shock bolts have to come off to let the axle drop down and release the springs.

From reading other people's experiences with various springs, though, keeping the stock shocks doesn't really compromise handling. If it makes them last four years instead of five (arbitrary numbers, there's a lot of variables that affect longevity), then is that really a big problem?
thx 4 tip, i'm on a budget right now so i will go with springs for now. i don't have the skills to DIY so i have to get a shop to do it. that's y it would be almost same cost to get a coilover once and for all, or do springs now, then pay labour again for shocks again.

i can't seem to be able to find a GK swift springs even from their website. care to link me pls? thx

Old 01-09-2018, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the part from their site, but I found it a bit cheaper on ebay.

Megan Racing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Megan-Lower...5Vapse&vxp=mtr

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Thx, i was about to find Megans, but I was looking for swift lower spring. Btw, did u ever had Megans springs alone with OEM shocks? Did u like them? Ride like OEM but lower look? Thx

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I put the konis in at the same time as the springs, wanted to save myself the labor of taking everything apart twice. Reading other people's experiences here, especially on the GE section where I found the how-to guide, seems like there's no real problem running Swifts, Megans, or any other kind of springs with the stock shocks.

I was going to buy Swifts myself until I found the Megans were cheaper. Think the Swifts are slightly softer, so if you're looking for a more factory feeling and better match for the damping rate on the shocks, sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome!

A quick search on Amazon turned this up...
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
I put the konis in at the same time as the springs, wanted to save myself the labor of taking everything apart twice. Reading other people's experiences here, especially on the GE section where I found the how-to guide, seems like there's no real problem running Swifts, Megans, or any other kind of springs with the stock shocks.

I was going to buy Swifts myself until I found the Megans were cheaper. Think the Swifts are slightly softer, so if you're looking for a more factory feeling and better match for the damping rate on the shocks, sounds like a good idea.
u have koni orange with ur megan? good combo of drop for daily without backing ur back or have non car ppl complain about harsh ride? how much are koni shocks? i want to do a quick comparsion of cost between coilover ($900 range) vs megan spring + koni shocks.

is the DIY detail enough for newbies to try? thanks!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Welcome!

A quick search on Amazon turned this up...
https://www.amazon.com/Swift-4H916-L.../dp/B00WJ1HN44
thx but product is unavailable.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aznsupastar
thx but product is unavailable.
Mine says in stock and I can select from two sellers. Maybe the don't ship to Canada?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Mine says in stock and I can select from two sellers. Maybe the don't ship to Canada?
sry, amazon is too smart and knows i'm loggin in from canada.

this is another time i wish i lived in the states so i can buy these and get free shipping!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
u sir are very resourceful! thanks!

wonder if anyone has experience with megan or godspeed springs alone on a GK...