3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

SRS light went off

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM
SRS light went on and I used an OBD reader and it went off

While I was driving from the airport my SRS light turned on. It was after making a harder than usual stop due to sudden traffic jams in very bad rain.

I called the nearest Honda and they said they are asking for a minimum of $150 to diagnose it for me.

I got home and took out the OBD and simply cleared the codes, and it works just fine. Drove another 50+ miles and it didn't come back on. Forgot to put the OBD on record mode, but I remember it being the rear airbag sensors.

Never got into an accident. Never modified this car. This does have all around weathertech mats.

My questions are-
  • Is asking for a diagnosis fee on a newer model with low miles normal? The reason I ask is it’s the first time I’ve ever gone to a Honda dealer for repair. All of our Hondas and Toyotas went well into 100k before needing any real repair. - edit: went in the dealership despite the car being ok to ask them, it’s normal for them to ask for fees because it’s out of warranty and they don’t waive them. I guess that’s how they make up for the low breakdowns of Hondas.
  • Why did the light go on? Edit: they confirmed that if it didn’t go back on then it was a fluke.
  • Would this have been covered by the seatbelt warranty? Edit: it might have been but you still have to pay $150 for them to tell you that.

Last edited by sopetite; 02-06-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if the light went off and hasnt come back on, id just let it be if it was my car. cars do weird things when it skids at its max in wet weather sometimes..

wear your seatbelt. its really the seatbelt that saves lives imho.. airbags are just supplementary as its name.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if the light went off and hasnt come back on, id just let it be if it was my car. cars do weird things when it skids at its max in wet weather sometimes..

wear your seatbelt. its really the seatbelt that saves lives imho.. airbags are just supplementary as its name.
Thank you! Car still OK, light did not come back on.
Hopefully this thread helps someone out. Lesson of the day- invest in a good OBD reader!

Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
what obd reader?

which one did you get?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM
My OBD reader

This one This one
it’s a bit pricier but it beat the previous $50 ones I owned since it cleared the SRS while the cheap ones only reads them. I know other readers also don’t work with certain cars based on reviews so I’m glad this one did. Definitely worth the $150 price tag.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info. just ordered one. looks like it will take care of all my cars, the acura, audi, and the fit. there's a $10 off coupon right now too from amazon.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by kanadary
thanks for the info. just ordered one. looks like it will take care of all my cars, the acura, audi, and the fit. there's a $10 off coupon right now too from amazon.
You're welcome!

Yeah, I used the $10 coupon which is awesome!!! We own the Honda Fit 1st Gen and the 3rd Gen, as well as a Rav 5 2015, and they all work with it.

Although it's only the 3rd Gen Fit that I had to clear codes so far!

Old 02-11-2018, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Wouldn't get too worried about the warning light. When I play in the snow without turning off stability control, I've gotten every light on the dash to come on. Un-nerving at first, but they always clear themselves... so far...

Old 02-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by robs
Wouldn't get too worried about the warning light. When I play in the snow without turning off stability control, I've gotten every light on the dash to come on. Un-nerving at first, but they always clear themselves... so far...
Unfortunately mine didn't clear after driving for 60 miles so I went ahead and used the OBD reader which did clear it permanently! Although yeah I did notice that the very weird weather patterns we were having lately affected my Fit, like there are weird rattling noises after some snow and then rain- I live in the South! .

Old 02-11-2018, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Is asking for a diagnosis fee on a newer model with low miles normal? The reason I ask is it’s the first time I’ve ever gone to a Honda dealer for repair. All of our Hondas and Toyotas went well into 100k before needing any real repair. - edit: went in the dealership despite the car being ok to ask them, it’s normal for them to ask for fees because it’s out of warranty and they don’t waive them.
Absolutely.

It's also normal to assess the same fees even while the car IS covered under warranty, because there are so many situations that are not covered under warranty. Not all shops do this up front, but many do.

If it were a repair that is actually covered by warranty, at our shop your checkout fee is then waived if we do determine the repair is covered by warranty.

Example: Friday afternoon I checked out a 2018 Honda Odyssey with only 5000 miles for a power sliding door that would not close when using the switch on the dash. Turned out to be a damaged wire in an interior floor harness (that had been chewed apart by a rodent). One. Single. Wire. With really obvious gnaw marks on the wire and its plastic connector shell.
Do YOU think this is a manufacturing defect that should be covered by warranty?
I guess that’s how they make up for the low breakdowns of Hondas.
No, it's how any decent car repair business operates.

Why did the light go on? Edit: they confirmed that if it didn’t go back on then it was a fluke.
You didn't post the fault code(s), so I can't evaluate it from where I sit....but yes strange things do happen sometimes, and intermittent faults can sometimes be very difficult or impossible to reproduce for testing. Sometimes we have to erase codes and turn it loose to be driven by the owner.....if it returns with the same code later on, we at least know something is going on even if it isn't an active fault by the time we get to see it again. (at our shop the checkout fee may or may not be waived if same fault is present, lots of circumstances to consider)

Some faults only require milliseconds to set a code, but the warning lights stay on until codes are erased.

Would this have been covered by the seatbelt warranty?
ONLY if it was directly caused by a seat belt, and then only if the failure found matches the specific failures mentioned (on page 28 ?) in your Honda Warranty manual in the glovebox.

Edit: it might have been but you still have to pay $150 for them to tell you that
Impact sensors (if that is what your fault codes were for) are not seat belts.
Checkout fee still applies.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
Absolutely.

It's also normal to assess the same fees even while the car IS covered under warranty, because there are so many situations that are not covered under warranty. Not all shops do this up front, but many do.

If it were a repair that is actually covered by warranty, at our shop your checkout fee is then waived if we do determine the repair is covered by warranty.

Example: Friday afternoon I checked out a 2018 Honda Odyssey with only 5000 miles for a power sliding door that would not close when using the switch on the dash. Turned out to be a damaged wire in an interior floor harness (that had been chewed apart by a rodent). One. Single. Wire. With really obvious gnaw marks on the wire and its plastic connector shell.
No, it's how any decent car repair business operates.

You didn't post the fault code(s), so I can't evaluate it from where I sit....but yes strange things do happen sometimes, and intermittent faults can sometimes be very difficult or impossible to reproduce for testing. Sometimes we have to erase codes and turn it loose to be driven by the owner.....if it returns with the same code later on, we at least know something is going on even if it isn't an active fault by the time we get to see it again. (at our shop the checkout fee may or may not be waived if same fault is present, lots of circumstances to consider)

Some faults only require milliseconds to set a code, but the warning lights stay on until codes are erased.

ONLY if it was directly caused by a seat belt, and then only if the failure found matches the specific failures mentioned (on page 28 ?) in your Honda Warranty manual in the glovebox.

Impact sensors (if that is what your fault codes were for) are not seat belts.
Checkout fee still applies.
Thanks for the detailed response! I appreciate it! Wasn't trying to get a freebie or anything. Didn't argue with the dealership. I was genuinely curious because I've never had to deal with airbags and any sort of crash repairs, where shops that are not under the dealership refused to look at it.

Fortunately it didn't go back on, but good to know for future reference.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sopetite
Thanks for the detailed response! I appreciate it! Wasn't trying to get a freebie or anything. Didn't argue with the dealership. I was genuinely curious because I've never had to deal with airbags and any sort of crash repairs, where shops that are not under the dealership refused to look at it.

Fortunately it didn't go back on, but good to know for future reference.
Hope my pre-coffee reply wasn't harsh LOL
Just trying to give some answers from my perspective as a Master Tech and primary troubleshooter at a Honda dealership shop.

FWIW those impact sensors retail for a little over (US) 100 beans each (part only), and there are 4 of them in the interior plus another pair of crash sensors out in the front of the car.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Hope my pre-coffee reply wasn't harsh LOL
Just trying to give some answers from my perspective as a Master Tech and primary troubleshooter at a Honda dealership shop.

FWIW those impact sensors retail for a little over (US) 100 beans each (part only), and there are 4 of them in the interior plus another pair of crash sensors out in the front of the car.
No not at all. Genuinely thankful for this forum for all the knowledge it shared with Honda Fit enthusiasts!
Your answer to my assumptive post was informative and I hope in the future people who have the same issue finds it helpful.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
I DO think making wiring insulation from soy-based plastic, known to attract rodents, could be considered a "manufacturing defect."

Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I DO think making wiring insulation from soy-based plastic, known to attract rodents, could be considered a "manufacturing defect."
That problem is certainly not exclusive to Honda......Many other manufacturers use the same type of wiring and have the same issues.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Doesn't mean they all can't be wrong. If rodents eating wiring is a known problem maybe they should find a way to prevent it.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Doesn't mean they all can't be wrong. If rodents eating wiring is a known problem maybe they should find a way to prevent it.
Love the printing on it..

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Rodent genocide

Originally Posted by robs
The tough mice chew that stuff like beef jerky.
The same mice like to snort lines of d-CON on the weekends for fun

Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
We have shelves of food staples in our unfinished basement and we found some mouse droppings nearby. So I recently got this electronic mouse trap from Victor. It's only been a few days and I've already got two mice. For the bait I used peanut butter and nutella lol.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UI8l8f7XVNM/maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe put something like that near the engine bay to lure the mice and act like a sacrificial anode.