3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

News: G&M, Cars have become too complicated...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:22 AM
What we need is options.

The complicated stuff must be able to be avoided on a base model with a special order.

I hate the junk on my car and have no use for it.

At least Toyota had a good base model up to 2008.

My favorite car was a 66 Plymouth Belvedere 1 that I purchased as a retired police interceptor from the California Highway Patrol. Had a 440 Ramcharger, 3 speed positive shift Torqueflite auto trans, positive traction, and a high performance camshaft. Only option was a button to remotely open trunk to get out shotgun (not included).

Not everyone likes the complexity of the new junk or the need to buy Honda Care to avoid enormous cost at dealer when the junk breaks.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
Let's not forget that these cars usually won't get software updates. Besides, they are made to last the warranty period and then that's it -> to the wreckers it goes, and in comes a new one...
The lack of ability to do a software update is inexcusable today. All computer systems, desktops, tablets and phones, get over-the-air updates, yet such an expensive purchase, which has a lot of software, does not? I believe Ford has OTA updates, as does Tesla. I don't know about other manufacturers.

I hope that the Fit does last longer than just the warranty, as I expect that kind of quality from a Japanese manufacturer. If and when the Chinese make vehicles for North America, barring Volvo, I would expect a high failure rate right after the warranty expires.

I believe that Japanese manufacturers selling in Japan do have a multitude of options, but not here in North America. i would have upgraded options if I had the choice, but bundled packages where you buy options you do not need was unappealing to me. I'm a "Keep it Simple, S" type of person, minimal instruction set means more long-term reliability.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 02-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my EX is as minimal as it gets and it has all sorts of problems.. i will say this. never buying another honda made in mexico again. hell, may not buy another honda. there are so many better options out there.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You all are still crying about the volume knob? They all come with steering wheel volume controls. Still muscle memory and don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel...
This! I still don't understand the whining about "no volume knob". I have volume controls right on the steering wheel where I neither have to look or reach to find them. I know, you're going to say "but the passenger cant play with the volume controls." Tough! If I'm driving, I SHOULD be in control of the volume for safety sake. You want to play with the volume, YOU drive.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
my EX is as minimal as it gets and it has all sorts of problems.. i will say this. never buying another honda made in mexico again. hell, may not buy another honda. there are so many better options out there.
So you bought Volkswagen, a car brand with a far worse reputation for quality and reliability.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
VW does not have a great history. We owned a '99 Jetta and it wasn't a great vehicle.

We bought a '17 Golf because, outside of the Civic Type-R, current Honda offerings are boring. My wife is a big Honda fan girl who grew up with a Dad that is now retired from corp. Honda and even she doesn't want any of them.

The Golf drives better (more like power and chassis of the Civic, but in Fit like packaging), has an interior that is light years nicer, and a much, much better infotainment system.

I played with the '18 Accord infotainment system and it's finally in the ballpark of the rest of the worlds offerings. They need to spread it to the rest of their lineup soon.

As for VW and it's quality and reputation, we're rolling the dice. For what it's worth, they moved up 6 spots this year according to CR while Acura moved down 7...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/

Last edited by GAFIT; 02-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, I'm not defending VW. Just saying how we ended up with one after shopping Honda and several other brands.

Overall, I'd say Honda is still a safer bet as far as will it start and physically get me to work.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
This! I still don't understand the whining about "no volume knob". I have volume controls right on the steering wheel where I neither have to look or reach to find them. I know, you're going to say "but the passenger cant play with the volume controls." Tough! If I'm driving, I SHOULD be in control of the volume for safety sake. You want to play with the volume, YOU drive.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
You surely can't go wrong in any sentence when you reference God or safety concerns.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
So you bought Volkswagen, a car brand with a far worse reputation for quality and reliability.
my GTI has zero problems whereas the GK has had problems from day one.
i am so glad i am trying different brands cause honestly, every honda made outside japan has had pretty serious problems.

honda and nissan are at the bottom of the list right now for me.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
You surely can't go wrong in any sentence when you reference God or safety concerns.
I’m pretty sure “God” was mentioned nowhere in my post.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
You sound fun to drive with.

Every radio should have a volume knob and a tuning knob. Yes, there are steering wheel volume controls but they are redundant controls, as the main radio should have hard knobs. Honda has finally gotten it right on the 2018 Accord.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
FWIW, knobs and the steering wheel controls are both redundant in most vehicles. The touchscreen is the primary control for all functions.

I don't mind having knobs, but don't find them mandatory.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
FWIW, knobs and the steering wheel controls are both redundant in most vehicles. The touchscreen is the primary control for all functions.

I don't mind having knobs, but don't find them mandatory.
I truly, truly HATE trying to use the touchscreen in my 2015 Civic Si at any speed. The steering wheel controls are useful only for volume and scanning through the pre-set stations. That's it. Tuning or scrolling through satellite radio or my iPod is a nightmare and way too distracting as I have to take my eyes off the road. Same goes for the factory navigation. There is ZERO tactile feedback which is an issue when you're doing 140 km/h on the highway.

CarPlay in my 2018 Fit is much better because the icons are bigger and more intuitive but I'd still like a tuning knob in addition to the volume knob. On the Fit, the volume knob is the fastest way to turn down or turn off the audio system in a hurry. Neither touchscreen works if you're wearing gloves either so I'm happy for that volume knob.

I'll also add that I'm 42 and have had an iPhone for a decade so I'm not anti technology by any means, I just think there needs to be a hybrid of hard knobs and touchscreens to make things less distracting.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
I decided I did not want the touch display in the 2016 Fits. The touch display was terrible, with a lack of sensitivity and accuracy. I could not get it to work when on a test drive. I also knew that Honda did not, and still has not, had a software upgrade. It would have annoyed me too much.

I prefer knobs. they have excellent usability. Even a 5 year old needs no instruction and can master the volume control.

It is unfortunate that touch displays are quite common and work well but Honda's is not very sensitive. Over the air updates are common for all tablets and smartphones, yet Honda still does not have this on any model.

There is more to go wrong with a touch screen. Not now but wait 5 years.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
The real issue is that Honda's systems don't work well.

I rarely touch the screen in my Lincoln. Voice commands control everything with no need to take even a pinky off the wheel.

Navigation, climate control, tuning satellite radio/FM...you name it, all done easily by voice.

My Dad has a 2017 CR-V EX so I can appreciate your frustration. He is electronic literate and HATES his system. The Kia he had before the CR-V was much, much better.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy

There is more to go wrong with a touch screen. Not now but wait 5 years.
Unless the system is built well and receives updates. Ford, GM, etc systems are still fine at the 8+ year mark now, but they are updated.

Mine is now 5 years old and works better than when new thanks to updates.

As I said before, this is a Honda issue more than a global issue with cars in general.

I'm good with the knobs though. I too prefer redundancy. However, make the system work properly first. Don't use the knobs as a bandaid.