Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Intermittent starting problem (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97575-intermittent-starting-problem.html)

mwm2310 12-10-2020 12:43 PM

Hey all, just an important note that I called Honda corporate today about this starter issue and acknowledged what a problem it's becoming for 2015 owners. The Honda associate let me know that they released an extended warranty (9 years; can't remember exact mileage) for this specific part. They advised that it must go to a Honda dealership for diagnosis, and if the starter is diagnosed as the problem, it will be replaced at no cost (and diagnostic fee will be waived).

They also said that you can file for reimbursement if you've previously had to have this replaced. Some communication may come out as a courtesy in the mail, but I wanted to post here if anyone else has struggled with this and come up empty. Sounds like this extended warranty was just announced this week.

update: apparently this is only for the start/stop switch and not the starter. Please be cautious in deciding whether to take it to a dealer for the diagnosis as the starter replacement is apparently not covered by Honda’s extended warranty.

bargainguy 12-10-2020 02:07 PM

If the start switch is faulty, why are the starters failing early as well?

Is Honda replacing the start switch with a new design? If it's the original design, we can expect it to fail just like the first one did. Buying time but not solving the problem.

I still think the problem lies in poor circuit design - inadequate to buffer the load at startup. Unless Honda has found a way around that (additional or better circuitry in a redesigned start switch), both starters and start switches will be prone to premature failure on pushbutton start models. I wish that weren't true, but here we are.

Really makes me wonder what went on at Honda corporate. Electrical circuit design isn't that difficult. Did they cheap out on a circuit design just to be able to add pushbutton start on an entry-level model? So if Honda wants to sell more EX's than LX's, and they offer a techno goodie, that'll sell more EX's? They probably didn't understand the starter / start switch burnout issue until repairs started coming in the field, and by then, it was too late to redesign anything.

Fuelish 12-10-2020 05:34 PM

It’s all so bizarre, guess I’m glad I have a ‘15 LX with key start ... 60,000+ miles, original battery, no problems whatsoever... I feel for y’all

Nikadocious 12-10-2020 09:23 PM

Wow, my (new to me) 2015 EX 30k miles had the same problem. Just replaced the starter, hoping I don’t run into this problem again. Thank god I opted for the extended warranty when I bought it; Honda was charging me $700+.

Chitown Fit 12-11-2020 02:32 AM

Starting Issues

Have the push start button checked. Mine is being fixed by local Honda Dealer for FREE!!!!! No charge at all. There's a recall on this particular problem.

redGD1 02-28-2021 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown Fit (Post 1454184)
Have the push start button checked. Mine is being fixed by local Honda Dealer for FREE!!!!! No charge at all. There's a recall on this particular problem.

if you are fond of diy, here's the repair kit for the starter. The problem is premature wear on the solenoid contact supplying power to turn the starter. My GK only ran 14k kliks. Just be careful when removing the star lock. Good luck!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...dd1eef01cf.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...06c9b55f5f.jpg

jfleminger 04-29-2021 01:38 PM

Starter replacement at 51k

Brought my 2015 Honda Fit LX with manual transmission into the deal with two problems relating to starting the card. Occasionally when I start the car there would be a grinding noise that lasts about one or two seconds. I had mentioned the problem several years ago so it was on record. They told me it was a known issue and replaced the VCT actuator for free.
But the second issue was recently the car sometimes will not start when i turn the key. This they told me was due to the started failing. The card is six years old and has 51k miles, I did not expect at this point in my car's life to have to replace something like that.
Based on some research I did here and online, I called Honda to ask if they would cover the replacement even though it was out of warranty. I don't know if anyone else has had luck but I got a big F.U. from Honda.
I'll be getting the starter replaced by an independent repair shop and make sure to strongly recommend to NOT buy a Honda. I know the repair shop won't use an OEM starter but if they only last 50k, why would I ever want one?

Of course interested if anyone else has had similar experiences and were more successful than me to get Honda something that should have lasted at least twice as long.

JpChiefs 09-28-2022 01:44 PM

Starting issues

Originally Posted by calves (Post 1393962)
dropped by to say at 35k miles 2015 fit, started to have rough starts, but the lights were not dim or other issues. Went to the dealer and asked for a load test, and found the battery needed replacing.

Could be as simple as that if you haven't replaced since buying? This is the first car i've had that needed a battery replacement within the first 3 years, and since the battery is so small i think the rest of the system gets a bit finnicky as the battery has less juice.

it’s not the battery causing these issues. The battery may go bad because of the main issue. These cars have started issues that Honda knows about but never recalled it. I’ve seen them go out as soon as 21000 miles. Honda service managers have no clue what to say half the time. They told my niece that her 15 automatic should start without hitting the brakes. That was normal. It’s definitely not. Then I tried to explain to this guy that the starter is not engaging, after 4-5 tries it grabs and starts. He said the battery was dead!
I told him, its not, it has 12.5 off and 13.4 running, that’s not the issue,

he replaced the battery! As soon as she left it happens again! I scanned it, had a low fuel pressure code left bank. That’s something that has 6 different causes. Running low fuel levels can cause problems with the fuel pump or just draw water from the tank. It can and most commonly is dirty gas clogging up the lines or a bad fuel filter.
she left and it died on the highway.
it goes back to the dealer. He said yeah all these starting issues are a failing fuel pump, well, a fuel pump fails or it doesn’t. And if definitely doesn’t cause a car not to turn over and just click one time per turn of the key, then have a burning smell. The starter is bad!!! My niece is terrible about running her car below a quarter tank, that’s the worst thing anyone can do with any car! Purge valves go bad, dirt and trash from the horrible fuel we get goes through the system. It ruins injectors. It can even cause 02 sensors to go bad.

these cars have 3 main issues with starting. Starter, pass lock or ignition switch, brake switch. Don’t let a dealer who reads a scanner but has no clue how to think outside of the box put you in a dangerous position! She could have been killed on the highway when it died.

redGD1 09-28-2022 06:12 PM

faulty starter

I took out the starter and discovered there was premature wear on the contacts of the starter solenoid. That caused the starting problem. I bought a repair kit off ebay and fixed it. The work involve is a bit tedious. May need two sets of hands or a pair if you know what you're doing.

BMWguy22 09-28-2022 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JpChiefs (Post 1471700)
he replaced the battery! As soon as she left it happens again! I scanned it, had a low fuel pressure code left bank. That’s something that has 6 different causes. Running low fuel levels can cause problems with the fuel pump or just draw water from the tank. It can and most commonly is dirty gas clogging up the lines or a bad fuel filter.
she left and it died on the highway.
it goes back to the dealer. He said yeah all these starting issues are a failing fuel pump, well, a fuel pump fails or it doesn’t. And if definitely doesn’t cause a car not to turn over and just click one time per turn of the key, then have a burning smell. The starter is bad!!! My niece is terrible about running her car below a quarter tank, that’s the worst thing anyone can do with any car! Purge valves go bad, dirt and trash from the horrible fuel we get goes through the system. It ruins injectors. It can even cause 02 sensors to go bad.

I don't think these cars have a traditional fuel "filter".
At least from what I've seen on the parts sites. Maybe it's just one of those "in-tank" setups that aren't really serviceable until the pump goes bad.

tk1 10-17-2022 04:54 PM

2015 Honda Fit

Mine died at 90 K - Honda wanted 500.00 for the starter. Plus install.
They are not made as well as my former Honda Crx which never failed in 290,000 miles.

Uncle Gary 10-26-2022 08:48 PM

My '15 Fit had the starter go bad at 21,000 miles. Fortunately, it was under warranty. Same symptom-took two-four tries to get the starter to engage. Hitting the button repeatedly would sometimes jog the starter motor enough to get it to engage.

Replacement starter has been trouble free for the last 80,000 miles. I did have to have the "push to start" button replaced at 90,000. Fortunately, Honda just issued an extended warranty on the push button, so Honda covered it. Those have actually been the only failures I've had with the car.