Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Intermittent starting problem (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/97575-intermittent-starting-problem.html)

neko 10-02-2019 04:47 PM

I’ve had multiple issues with paint and starter but Honda Corporate was unwilling to do anything for either and dealership went along with corporate. Unfortunately this will be my last Honda as I don’t have the resources to file a suit of some sort.

reclusebrown 10-24-2019 08:11 PM

Whats up fellas! I got a used 2015 Honda Fit auto exl 2 weeks ago and the only thing questionable was the orange (Key!) light is constantly on the dash. The dealer told me it was just low battery in the FOB so i replaced it but the light didn't go away. So this morning i experienced this same starting issue (tried 7 times until it came on) and I took it to Oreilys to check the Battery, Starter, and alternator but they all tested fine. I replaced the FOB battery again and checked all the appropriate fuses and everything looks good. Is there any wire/connections i should trace down before i pay Honda for a diagnostic? Thanks

Jagged1 10-24-2019 09:29 PM

Welcome to the group.

First, is it a keyless start? If it is, you may want to look into replacing the push to start button.

I had the same issue with my 2015 and it eventually would not even turn off.
It was replaced after my insistence that this was the issue, the dealer said it wasn't and of course it was.

Good luck

reclusebrown 10-24-2019 09:51 PM

Thanks! I have the push start GK5. It's intermittent and doesn't feel like starter or battery, thanks for your advice.

haygood 10-28-2019 05:29 AM

My situation got interesting/frustrating. 2015 CVT. The orange key light on the dash has been on for a while. With the original push start switch, the switch would sometimes work, but sometimes not, and it got more and more unreliable. I got a new switch, then another new switch, and with either of those the smart entry system is disabled. I have to unlock the car with the remote and the lock/unlock buttons on the doors don't work. The car won't start unless the key is held right up against the stop/start button. If I put the old switch back in, the car locks and unlocks normally, but won't always respond to a start button press. I find no information indicating a new start switch has to be programmed. Keyless entry works with either key, and key batteries were replaced 6 months ago or less. Since each systems works with one switch and doesn't work with the other switch, it has to be a start/stop switch issue. Just not sure where to go from here.

Karley Simon 10-29-2019 08:58 PM

Same thing happened to my fit within first month of having it.

Originally Posted by reclusebrown (Post 1438225)
Whats up fellas! I got a used 2015 Honda Fit auto exl 2 weeks ago and the only thing questionable was the orange (Key!) light is constantly on the dash. The dealer told me it was just low battery in the FOB so i replaced it but the light didn't go away. So this morning i experienced this same starting issue (tried 7 times until it came on) and I took it to Oreilys to check the Battery, Starter, and alternator but they all tested fine. I replaced the FOB battery again and checked all the appropriate fuses and everything looks good. Is there any wire/connections i should trace down before i pay Honda for a diagnostic? Thanks

relay box and starter button were bad on my 2015 fit exl. Only once didn’t want to start right away but had the light on the dash pop up with just a key.
When I took it to the dealership they had no clue what that light even meant. A day later with them working directly with Honda headquarters they got it replaced. Luckily still under warranty. Now having issue with not starting. Similar to another’s post about the break tightening each attempt then finally breaking free and starting.

haygood 10-30-2019 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Karley Simon (Post 1438469)
relay box and starter button were bad on my 2015 fit exl. Only once didn’t want to start right away but had the light on the dash pop up with just a key.
When I took it to the dealership they had no clue what that light even meant. A day later with them working directly with Honda headquarters they got it replaced. Luckily still under warranty. Now having issue with not starting. Similar to another’s post about the break tightening each attempt then finally breaking free and starting.

Which relay did they replace? Is there any reprogramming required when they replace the start/stop switch?

reclusebrown 10-30-2019 04:47 PM

Update

So I ended up taking my 2015 EXL Fit to Honda over the weekend and it was a faulty battery management sensor (38920-T5A-A02) and the Engine start/stop switch needed replacing. Since I had it for only 2 weeks the dealership agreed to pay a portion of the cost. I wasn't sure if the new start switch had to be reprogramed to the fob key so I just let Honda handle it.

Jazu 10-31-2019 03:11 PM

Interesting about the battery management sensor (38920-T5A-A02) failing. Had you replaced or had someone replace the battery or had someone do work that required the battery to be disconnected. I know on some cars - notoriously the BMW, VAG group, and MB cars - these monitors have frail wiring harnesses and often fail if you move them around to replace the trunk batteries.

Did the faulty battery management sensor pop an OBD code?

reclusebrown 10-31-2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jazu (Post 1438575)
Interesting about the battery management sensor (38920-T5A-A02) failing. Had you replaced or had someone replace the battery or had someone do work that required the battery to be disconnected. I know on some cars - notoriously the BMW, VAG group, and MB cars - these monitors have frail wiring harnesses and often fail if you move them around to replace the trunk batteries.

Did the faulty battery management sensor pop an OBD code?

I just purchased the car and didn't touch anything. I assumed the only problem was the engine start button since it was not turning over. Honda did a full diagnosis and advised me that the sensor was faulty on top of the bad start button. Hopefully this thing lasts

reclusebrown 11-04-2019 04:42 PM

Additional

Just a follow up. After having my start button replaced from Honda the car feels somewhat weak on start up (I haven't had this car long enough to know what is normal), it will turn over but not a strong start. Do you guys think replacing the 151 battery with the bigger 51R would make any difference with this issue? Or could it be a weak ignition coil or starter? Thanks for the advice

Chad Adams 11-09-2019 04:20 PM

Howdy from Texas! Got a 2015 with an issue that sounds exactly like yours. Did you happen to replace the ignition button? Was it successful?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by haygood (Post 1436876)
Our 2015 GX Fit with 98,000 miles appears to have a bad pushbutton start switch. The dash doesn't light up when you press it, and sometimes doesn't shut the car off when you press it. This problem has been getting steadily worse over the past several weeks. The battery doesn't budge unless the button works, and my tiny little battery only drops to 11v, which is probably reasonable for having a smaller than stock battery. So, I'm going to get a new switch.

Jazu 11-11-2019 08:28 AM

No - you might want to charge the battery to full and see. The Fit OEM battery has enough CCAs to start the car in the worst Winter temperatures. The other item might be the battery terminal connections and grounding points. I would clean those battery terminals and put some dielectric grease on the terminals and the clamps to ensure no buildup occurs. It doesn't take much of an oxide layer to significvantly increase resistance on a connection that results in starting issues due to poorer current transfer.

aprevost 11-17-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by aprevost (Post 1436693)
In our case, it isn't the starter - we had that replaced 6 months ago with no change to the problem. Not the battery either. So it must be something else - a switch, solenoid, bad wiring, something like that but really hoping that someone here has come across something that solved it as we are not sure whether to keep throwing money at it or get another car. Suffice it to say, this is definitely our first and last push button start car.

Update - after replacing the starter and the battery, it turns out the problem was the neutral safety switch. Just in case this is useful to someone, pushing in the clutch HARD allows the car to start.

FitsWMyFit 11-18-2019 01:14 PM

2015 Fit EX CVT Start Button Issues

So my wife owns a 2015 Fit EX CVT and has been having problems with the start button not working. She complains of it taking several attempts to start and same with trying to get it to stop. Checked the FOB battery voltage, its correct at 3.0 volts, tried the other FOB same problems, checked battery, and alternator all good. Starter isn't the problem because it eventually starts and obviously when it won't turn off that isn't the starter. Car is right at about 100k miles.

Took it to the dealer, tech "suggests" replacing the start button for $450 since they have never seen this. At wits end we agree. My wife has been driving it now a few days and the problem is now fixed... hopefully. Seems to me this stupid button should have lasted longer. Any advice for trying to get Honda to cover the costs? Thanks in advance!

bargainguy 11-18-2019 03:35 PM

Welcome. I've long speculated that Honda did not design a robust enough circuit on the pushbutton start GK5. It seems the starter, the switch, or both are likely to fail early. Search this subforum for details.

We've seen the other side of this problem as well. One person here took their EX (just out of warranty) with starting problems into the dealer. Dealer charges $125 diagnostic fee just to say yep, it's the starter, then gets another ~$700 for a starter replacement. That's a nice revenue stream for the parts and service dept. Everybody wins except the vehicle owner, who thought the starter might last a little more than 40K or so.

If you really want to complain, schedule a sit-down with the Honda district manager and ask if this is a known problem, can they goodwill some of the cost of repair, etc. At 100K, your chances are limited, but hey, you never know.

square85 12-17-2019 12:11 PM

My wife and I are interested in getting a new Fit and after reading through this thread, I wanted to know if the starter/push button issue is still a problem for the later model years for the 2018-2020?

Thanks in advance.

Anne Hardman 03-05-2020 10:36 AM

My 2015 Fit has the same starter problem. I believe it is the button itself, as the indicator lights on the dash don't light up. Just nothing. Battery is fairly new, no problem there. Sometimes starts right up, other times it may take a dozen times. Sometimes after I get it started, the key indicator on the dash lights up, sometimes not. Most frightening is when I am unable to turn the car off.

GPW AP2 12-03-2020 12:45 AM

Please see my guide here to help fix your problem!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ml#post1453948

AJK 12-07-2020 06:39 PM

3rd starter issue

Another 2015 FIT EX owner here. Love my car, I really do, but the starter issue is not helping me keep that love alive.
Push button start, currently around 44,200 miles on it. No, I don't drive tons or heavily.

Last year, fall 2019 (around 40 K miles) I finally replaced the starter - classic starter issues as others have described; car not starting sometimes, multiple start tries before starting, etc. Dealer and I reached a compromise on pricing and that was ok.

Then this summer, the "key light" came on periodically - not the batter indicator but the key light; I troubleshot that and my fear was realized, it was the starter switch. Ok, I had that replaced a couple weeks ago, a little pricey but it was done and was working great.

Today, the car was fine, had to run a necessary errand, got back to car, and nothing but starter clicks and lights all over the dash. No indication of any issues at all prior to this. Car is now being towed back to the dealer for diagnosis.

I do believe that if there's an additional starter issue I might just trade it in for a different car after the holidays. It's our families only vehicle and without it we are stranded.

Anyone have any ideas for the latest 3rd issue?

UPDATE: Car wouldn't start for dealer either. They jumped it to get it going. They agree with my assessment that nothing should be wrong, starter and switch were both replaced within the last year. They are going over the battery, electrical and anything else related to the starting system.

UPDATE II: Diagnosis was battery low charge. Apparently my darling husband was in the car for a while on a work call, pulled over, and did not turn off the car, but turned off the ignition, thus, battery drain. I think he was there for about 30 min at least. I am fairly certain this was the issue after working with my actually really good Honda dealer who kept the car for 2 days for a full diagnosis (total charge $70).