3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Shop suggestions for fixing breaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Shop suggestions for fixing breaks

I took my car for inspection couple of months back to Honda shop. I notice some vibrations while applying breaks. They suggested me to resurface front rotors. They gave measurements of 5 for thickness in break lining section (LF=5 and RF=5). They quoted me $279. I am looking for cheaper alternatives. I am living in big metro. I can go to most of the chain stores who can fix breaks. Please suggest me good trusted store who can do this for cheap.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's brakes, not breaks...

Personally I don't think it's worth resurfacing the discs once they've got to the point where they are pulsing. I'd just replace the discs with aftermarket over OEM. I recall car and driver and motortrend noting pulsing brakes on their long term Fit test cars.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
try rebedding the pads if it helps. find a vacant road drive 50mph and brake very hard to 15mph (do not stop) and repeat 4 times. and drive normally for 10min without stopping to allow the brakes to cool.

might help. worth a try. if it is the rotors, id just get new rotors and pads. it wont be cheap but it will fix the problem. turning rotors can help but then u end up with thinner metal plus still crappy pads.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
I suggest that it's a good time to learn how to DIY (if cost is that important to you).

Since your pads have some life left, you could do the job when it gets a little warmer.

Look for a DIY topic here, or on youTube. You might need to buy some tools, like jack stands, a torque wrench, and some hi-temp brake grease, but it would be less than $300...

Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
My daughter replaced her front rotors and pads in about an hour. Rock Auto has rotors for $16.00 to $37.00 each (plus shipping). Or order the kit including pads for $129. That plus 2 hours work and you will be done with completely new front brakes.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Indie Shop Or Going To Honda.

Originally Posted by ritholtz
I took my car for inspection couple of months back to Honda shop. I notice some vibrations while applying breaks. They suggested me to resurface front rotors. They gave measurements of 5 for thickness in break lining section (LF=5 and RF=5). They quoted me $279. I am looking for cheaper alternatives. I am living in big metro. I can go to most of the chain stores who can fix breaks. Please suggest me good trusted store who can do this for cheap.

Thanks

For all work on my Fit I go to the dealer I bought it from. $279 doesn't sound that bad of a price. When it comes to critical repairs like Brakes it's best to spend more to get it repaired rather than trying to save a few dollars going to a cheaper auto repair shop.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
For all work on my Fit I go to the dealer I bought it from. $279 doesn't sound that bad of a price. When it comes to critical repairs like Brakes it's best to spend more to get it repaired rather than trying to save a few dollars going to a cheaper auto repair shop.
The first time I worked on my car for brake repairs, I too was worried that I could mess it up but just youtube it and it is very easy job to replace pads and rotors. The only hard part that I encountered was to remove the screw that holds the rotor.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up I'd Rather Go To The Dealer.

Originally Posted by utsug
The first time I worked on my car for brake repairs, I too was worried that I could mess it up but just youtube it and it is very easy job to replace pads and rotors. The only hard part that I encountered was to remove the screw that holds the rotor.

Knowing my lousy luck I'd mess it up in some kind of way. I'm too lazy to work on my Fit. I'd rather go to the dealer and watch TV in the waiting room. LOL!!!!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Knowing my lousy luck I'd mess it up in some kind of way. I'm too lazy to work on my Fit. I'd rather go to the dealer and watch TV in the waiting room. LOL!!!!
....and some coffee.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
I think he said he 279 was to resurface the rotors not to do a complete brake job. I would not resurface any rotor. I would replace them .

Going to an independent shop would give him more options like slotted / vented rotors or metallic or ceramic pads.

I can just picture what is coming next.

"We removed your rotors and found that they are too worn to be turned so you will have to buy rotors. We can not guarantee the rotors if you do not also replace the pads and calipers at the same time so they need to be replaced too."

Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Post Indie Shop vs. Dealer Shop.

Originally Posted by n9cv
I think he said he 279 was to resurface the rotors not to do a complete brake job. I would not resurface any rotor. I would replace them .

Going to an independent shop would give him more options like slotted / vented rotors or metallic or ceramic pads.

I can just picture what is coming next.

"We removed your rotors and found that they are too worn to be turned so you will have to buy rotors. We can not guarantee the rotors if you do not also replace the pads and calipers at the same time so they need to be replaced too."

You think an Indie Shop would be any more honest than a Dealer Shop? I'd rather go to the Dealer Shop to have to work done right with factory parts rather than an Indie Shop that may use lesser quality parts. I'll go to an Indie Shop to work on my 1993 Jeep Wrangler Beater. My 2015 EX goes right to the Dealer Shop. But that's just me.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
There is a larger selection of higher quality, lower quality, and performance parts in the aftermarket. I will not change your mind so I'll drop the conversation right there.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
There is a larger selection of higher quality, lower quality, and performance parts in the aftermarket. I will not change your mind so I'll drop the conversation right there.
True enough, but unless you’re sourcing the parts and doing the work yourself, you still don’t know the quality of the parts used.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
The key is to find an independent shop that SPECIALIZES in Honda/Acura. I know of two in my area (with 15 miles of me). Both owners were former factory technicians. Look near you, and check the reviews.

There is one tire store near me that I trust, as well. BUT that is because my bro-in-law works there and he has owned several Hondas.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Post Indie Shop vs. Dealer Shop.

I'll go to the Dealer Shop every time. My brother has a 2003 Odyssey. He went to a neighborhood Indie Shop for brakes and alignment. Did a lousy job. I'll drive 15-20 miles to the Dealer where I bought my Fit from for any work it needs.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The key is to find an independent shop that SPECIALIZES in Honda/Acura. I know of two in my area (with 15 miles of me). Both owners were former factory technicians.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM
I'll go to the Dealer Shop every time. My brother has a 2003 Odyssey. He went to a neighborhood Indie Shop for brakes and alignment. Did a lousy job. I'll drive 15-20 miles to the Dealer where I bought my Fit from for any work it needs.
If an indie shop can do a lousy job so do the dealer. In my own experience, i had to bring my car back after valve adjustment.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The key is to find an independent shop that SPECIALIZES in Honda/Acura. I know of two in my area (with 15 miles of me). Both owners were former factory technicians. Look near you, and check the reviews.

There is one tire store near me that I trust, as well. BUT that is because my bro-in-law works there and he has owned several Hondas.
Yes a good and honest independent shop is hard to come by, but they do exist. I had one near that I was very loyal to. I've actually driven an hour away to have work there versus shops closer to me.

I've had more bad maintenance experiences at dealerships than independent shops till I found a good shop.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Dealer Shop.

Originally Posted by utsug
If an indie shop can do a lousy job so do the dealer. In my own experience, i had to bring my car back after valve adjustment.

I never had any bad issues going to the Dealer for work. Nobody will convince me to take my 2015 EX to a local neighborhood shop.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Doing brakes is maintenance work, not "repair" work. Nothing broke, u simply wore out your rotors. U can replace them yourself, AND with a quality set of pads for under 200 bucks. Fuck turning rotors, you are removing heat sinking material from something that warped from heat, that's extremely counter productive and is a bandaid bullshit service on modern passenger cars.

Quick Reply: Shop suggestions for fixing breaks