3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Shop suggestions for fixing breaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
It's brakes, not breaks...

Personally I don't think it's worth resurfacing the discs once they've got to the point where they are pulsing. I'd just replace the discs with aftermarket over OEM. I recall car and driver and motortrend noting pulsing brakes on their long term Fit test cars.
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not responding. Honda shop gave me $270 quote for resurfacing. I will take it to local shop and see how much they quote for replacing rotors.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
try rebedding the pads if it helps. find a vacant road drive 50mph and brake very hard to 15mph (do not stop) and repeat 4 times. and drive normally for 10min without stopping to allow the brakes to cool.

might help. worth a try. if it is the rotors, id just get new rotors and pads. it wont be cheap but it will fix the problem. turning rotors can help but then u end up with thinner metal plus still crappy pads.
I will try this workaround and see if it helps. Other option is to get quotes for replacing rotors. We had similar problem with 2010 Accord. Some how Honda fixed this issue by resurfacing rotors. They were working fine so far. They refused to fix them for Fit.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I suggest that it's a good time to learn how to DIY (if cost is that important to you).

Since your pads have some life left, you could do the job when it gets a little warmer.

Look for a DIY topic here, or on youTube. You might need to buy some tools, like jack stands, a torque wrench, and some hi-temp brake grease, but it would be less than $300...
I bought jack stands from sears. Still I am not sure about doing this stuff myself. Are these things fool proof and easy to replace. Thanks

Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by utsug
The first time I worked on my car for brake repairs, I too was worried that I could mess it up but just youtube it and it is very easy job to replace pads and rotors. The only hard part that I encountered was to remove the screw that holds the rotor.
Is it really easy to replace rotors? Only thing I did so far is replace cabin air filter.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
I think he said he 279 was to resurface the rotors not to do a complete brake job. I would not resurface any rotor. I would replace them .

Going to an independent shop would give him more options like slotted / vented rotors or metallic or ceramic pads.

I can just picture what is coming next.

"We removed your rotors and found that they are too worn to be turned so you will have to buy rotors. We can not guarantee the rotors if you do not also replace the pads and calipers at the same time so they need to be replaced too."
It is only for resurfacing. Would like to get some shop suggestions to replace them. I think, Honda shop might ask for me to replace them. It is going to be more expensive. We have Christian brothers and Drivers edge and NTB close by. Brothers seems to get good rating and feedback from people here. I wish samsclub, walmart or costco, some one would start this service.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
I'll go to the Dealer Shop every time. My brother has a 2003 Odyssey. He went to a neighborhood Indie Shop for brakes and alignment. Did a lousy job. I'll drive 15-20 miles to the Dealer where I bought my Fit from for any work it needs.
Is there any website to research this info. Google map is just showing Honda and Acura dealer owned shops. I am located in close to dfw airport. How about reviews on Yelp. Are they genuine. I would like to go this route as I need some big repair for my old Accord (replacing Accord trans axles).

Thanks

Last edited by ritholtz; 02-18-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
My daughter replaced her front rotors and pads in about an hour. Rock Auto has rotors for $16.00 to $37.00 each (plus shipping). Or order the kit including pads for $129. That plus 2 hours work and you will be done with completely new front brakes.
May be I will get the kit and check with close by shop for labor charge.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2018, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I suggest that it's a good time to learn how to DIY (if cost is that important to you).

Since your pads have some life left, you could do the job when it gets a little warmer.

Look for a DIY topic here, or on youTube. You might need to buy some tools, like jack stands, a torque wrench, and some hi-temp brake grease, but it would be less than $300...
Today I went to Honda shop for oil change. They offered 50% of alignment service. Their inspection report suggested "replace pads/resurface rotors" as may required future attention. Pads have 4mm thickness. Shop guy suggested me to do this next time. Their price for brake job is $250. I guess, I can plan for replacing pads and rotors after few months.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Well, Honda pads come with wear indicators ('squealers') that sound off when the pad material gets to ~ 1.5MM. (Assuming they wear evenly, of course)

Old 02-25-2018, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's tough in the automotive world to find a good mechanic or bodyshop.
If you don't have family or friends you trust, it can be really hard to find a mechanic.

Even with the help of the internet, it's difficult.

A few years back I had reason to have to find a good bodyshop. I have no connection or family or friends that would have any knowledge in this area.
So I searched the internet for local reviews. But the problem is so many people don't evaluate correctly IMO.

I found so many Bodyshops with 5 star reviews. But when I would actually read the review, most of the support was based on how friendly they felt the staff was, or whether they gave them free coffee and donuts. NOT based on the work done.

I've gotten to the point that I really look at number of negative reviews, and look for those and evaluate based on a low number of negative reviews, more than I do on a high number of positive reviews.

But it can be a real challenge to find a mechanic/dealership...that you can trust and like. Either dealership or independent.

Last edited by fitchet; 02-25-2018 at 03:03 PM.