3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is a rear sway bar worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 PM
Is a rear sway bar worth it?

Hey guys,

I'm never going to be on a track and, well, it's a 1.3l cvt. Will I notice a difference during a daily commute with a RSB? I live in a city and do a lot of freeway miles.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
some say so, i honestly think the front swaybar is the one that the car really needs and a LSD and better tires.

a rear swaybar can help rotate the car.. but the dynamic felt real weird to me when i tried one in my past Fits (felt like the car was in 2 pieces) and have not used one on my GK. i suggest you try one and see for yourself if you like it or not.

it can help with cross wind resistance too..

Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
If you're in the US the Fit is a 1.5.

If you're not ever going to track the car don't waste your time or money on a sway bar.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
* This is with a GD. Other models may be completely different...

The RSB was worth it to us for the improvement in straight line tracking on the highway. At interstate speeds, the car drifted around in the lane. The RSB completely solved that issue. I think the rear beam in these cars is weak and needs the extra bracing.

Also made it much for fun in the tight stuff.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
If all you're doing is commuting, it's probably not worth it. If you don't like the body roll in turns, and don't like the feeling that the front end is sliding out, then it's definitely worth it. Commuting implies you're not going fast enough in turns, or on twisty enough roads, to really feel that as a problem.

If you get one, though, there really are no negative effects on the car. No increased noise or harsher ride quality, just a lighter wallet.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Yes you're right! And thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by mike410b
If you're in the US the Fit is a 1.5.

If you're not ever going to track the car don't waste your time or money on a sway bar.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM
I have both front and rear stabilizer bar. Buy the front. it is less expensive, and I notice the difference.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
You swapped the front sway bar for a stiffer one and it was cheaper? Which bar, and where did you get it? Did you do all the work yourself?

Seriously, it looks like you have to take the subframe and steering rack off to reach it, and that's probably at least two hours of labor at a shop. Bolting the rear bar on is a 15 minute job, you don't even have to take the rear wheels off.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM
I mean the front bar (Tanabe TTB185F Sustec Tower Bar Front) I bought is less expensive than the rear bar (PROGRESS 19MM REAR SWAY BAR) I bought.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
A front tower bar isn't going to do anything.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
A front tower bar isn't going to do anything.
I notice the difference immediately. your mileage may vary.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by liukaitc
I mean the front bar (Tanabe TTB185F Sustec Tower Bar Front) I bought is less expensive than the rear bar (PROGRESS 19MM REAR SWAY BAR) I bought.
Always wondered if they made any difference as they don't even connect to the strut tower like conventional strut tower bars. Still skeptical at this point.

I don't think stiffening the front is need, that would just promote more understeer. Creating more oversteer is what the Fit needs IMO and that's why I like the Progress RSB.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Putting a front tower bar on may or may not do anything. It may stiffen the structure up front a bit. You'd have to have a very sensitive butt to actually feel a difference. Could be the placebo effect is strong once one is bolted on. Heck it can't hurt so why not?

As for a rear sway-bar I'd say go for it. My last 3 cars I've added larger rear sway-bars & was very pleased with the results. Maybe I'm feeling the placebo effect, but I'm a happy believer.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ash - one can definitely feel the difference on those progress rear swaybars so yah, i confirm its not a placebo effect at all.

now the front tower bar.. im not sure you can feel that with factory suspension and tires. if you run stiff coilovers and performance wheels and tires, probably yes.

but for street driving the car needs neither imho.. first mod would be get stickier tires.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
first mod would be get stickier tires.
I think that's always true. As is the front tower bar being somewhat questionable.

I have a car with a strut tower bar from the factory, but it also has large sticky tires AND big sway bars stock.

First put stress on the shock towers and then add the bar. Skinny front tires and soft suspension and bushings just don't put stress on the shock towers to begin with.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
Seems like the towers are a lot closer to the firewall on the Fit compared to every other car I've owned. Not as much room for them to flex.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
I put a strut tower bar on my old Galant.

It made no difference.

I took the strut tower bar off my old Integra.

It made no difference.

I will not be putting a tower bar on my S2000 or Fit.

It will make no difference.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Seems like the towers are a lot closer to the firewall on the Fit compared to every other car I've owned. Not as much room for them to flex.
I feel strongly this is the case. The firewall and the back side of the strut enclosure seem to be the same piece of metal.

Look at my del Sol and the strut towers are more than a foot forward from the firewall. Much more leverage to flex the body. Could be worth connecting the towers. On the Fit? Really doubt it.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Putting a rear Progress bar on my GE really livened up the handling, even with no other changes. I’d recommend it as a great mod for the money. My wife just purchased a 2017 Fit EX yesterday; I’ll be trying to talk her into getting a rear bar soon.

Last edited by doublebullout; 03-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
https://www.progressauto.com/product.../productID/816

Is this generally considered to be the sway bar to get? I'm buying a 2018 EX-L fit in a week or so, and a rear sway bar is one of the first things I'm planning on adding to it.

Quick Reply: Is a rear sway bar worth it?