3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Did you replace your factory speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM
jpm
Did you replace your factory speakers?

In my car prior to my Fit I had an audio system. I had a Pioneer Premier head unit, a RF 500 mono amp and a JL Audio 12" sub.

My old car came factory with 6 speakers and I thought they were sub-par, but once I had the Pioneer headunit installed and set the EQ and HPF, I found them to be pretty good and never replaced them.

I've had my Fit for almost a year now and I'm preparing to finally install some new audio gear. I'm specifically waiting on the new Sony XAV-AX5000, which should be out soon. I couldn't use my old sub because it took up the majority of the Fit trunk when I put it in for a size estimate, and I want some usable trunk space these days.

The sound in my Fit sounds like garbage to me. However, I don't know if it's cause I don't have a proper EQ or if the speakers suck. We're only given a bass and treble setting, no full band EQ. I know I could install the headunit first and see what it sounds like, but part of me wants to get the install all done at once, instead of the headunit and sub, then go back for speakers if needed.

Has anyone kept the factory speakers but put in an aftermarket headunit? If so, do you think the speakers are good enough when properly EQed, or should they be replaced?

Also, has anyone replaced the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers (with or without an aftermarket headunit)? Is there a noticeable improvement?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Paging Bassguitarist

Originally Posted by jpm
In my car prior to my Fit I had an audio system. I had a Pioneer Premier head unit, a RF 500 mono amp and a JL Audio 12" sub.

My old car came factory with 6 speakers and I thought they were sub-par, but once I had the Pioneer headunit installed and set the EQ and HPF, I found them to be pretty good and never replaced them.

I've had my Fit for almost a year now and I'm preparing to finally install some new audio gear. I'm specifically waiting on the new Sony XAV-AX5000, which should be out soon. I couldn't use my old sub because it took up the majority of the Fit trunk when I put it in for a size estimate, and I want some usable trunk space these days.

The sound in my Fit sounds like garbage to me. However, I don't know if it's cause I don't have a proper EQ or if the speakers suck. We're only given a bass and treble setting, no full band EQ. I know I could install the headunit first and see what it sounds like, but part of me wants to get the install all done at once, instead of the headunit and sub, then go back for speakers if needed.

Has anyone kept the factory speakers but put in an aftermarket headunit? If so, do you think the speakers are good enough when properly EQed, or should they be replaced?

Also, has anyone replaced the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers (with or without an aftermarket headunit)? Is there a noticeable improvement?

Thanks.
If anyone knows about Fit mods, especially audio, Bassguitaristist is the one.

Me, tin ear would be an improvement.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Got a 150w RMS powered sub. Put in with stock sound system. Awful stock system.

Added components wired to stock headunit. Better, but headunit only outputs a measly 27 or so watts. Couldn't keep up with the sub.

Changed everything except headunit (line out converter, 4 channel amp, all 6 speakers and equalizer). Much better now.

​​​​​Due for another minor upgrade soon.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 04-08-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced the speakers on all 4 doors with the following:

Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R16....html?tp=78072

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675X2
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R16....html?tp=78072

Is there a diff? Yes. You can crank up the volume alot higher now, and not get distortion as you would on oem speakers. mids sound alot better. keep in mind these are budget friendly $39.99 speakers, I'm sure there are ones that sound much better

Advice = Buy It, Try It. You'll either love em, or return em

(Tip: Crutchfield includes free harness adapters, and speaker brackets that make the install super easy/faster)

Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive had good results with pioneer headunits on my past Fits running factory speakers. since you got a 16', get a pioneer with carplay.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 PM
jpm
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't purchased anything yet, waiting on the headunit to be released, but this is the gear I'm going with.

headunit: Sony XAV-AX5000 (should be released any day now)
front speakers: Hertz HCX165
rear speakers: going to leave stock for now
sub: jl audio ACS110LG-TW1

I had a JL Audio 12w3 ProWedge in my old car with a Rockford 500w Punch feeding it. It was great and everything still works but the ProWedge takes up over 50% of the Fit trunk. I'm sure the ACS110LG-TW1 won't have the power of the 12w3 but it'll be much better than stock and only takes up like 10% of the trunk, and can be stored along the side which is amazing.

Last edited by jpm; 04-24-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
i dont know much about sony HU's but does it offer the same level of EQ and signal processing as the pioneers NEX models? just wondering.

sony makes great products btw... my little stereos at home and my noise cancelling headphones are sony's..

Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
jpm
Originally Posted by kenchan
i dont know much about sony HU's but does it offer the same level of EQ and signal processing as the pioneers NEX models? just wondering.

sony makes great products btw... my little stereos at home and my noise cancelling headphones are sony's..
I honestly can't say. I know the XAV-AX5000 a 4x55w Dynamic Reality Amp 2 but I really don't know how that compares to the Pioneer 4x50w MOSFET system. Also, the Sony has a 10 band EQ compared to the 13 band of most Pioneers.

I went with the Sony for specific reasons. For one, their CarPlay units have reviewed much better. The Pioneer reviews have been hit and miss, with a lot more negative reviews generally calling them clunky. The Sony is a much cleaner look, and have a capacitive (like most smart phones) touch screen vs resistive for most units (which actually requires a press). The Sony is also a digital media player, and as a result the space behind the screen that's actually in your dash area is much smaller, easier for wire routing (and I have no need for CDs).

I have exclusively used Pioneer Premier headunits since the late 90's, this will be my first Sony, but I've done extensive research and am comfortable with it. Most of my research was with the Sony XAV-AX100, and the XAV-AX5000 is an upgraded version with a larger and capacitive touch screen. Sure the XAV-AX5000 might turn out to be a dud but I hope not.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good. looks like you did a lot of research. GL with the install.