Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Powered Sub Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Powered Sub Install Question

Hey,

So I just replaced the two front speakers in my Fit and, although they sound leaps and bounds better than the factory speakers, I'm still looking for a bit more bass.

I ordered the speakers through Crutchfield and was very impressed with the service they provided and will most likely order the powered sub through them as well.

My only question is regarding installation. I'm completely new to car audio in every way, and although I know that a powered sub includes the amp, I'm not sure what is required in installing one. The "instructional video" on crutchfield does little more than advertise powered subs, so I didn't find it that helpful.

I remembered reading something about splicing into the wires on the rear speaker? Anyways, I was just curious as to if any of you could help me out with an explanation, or if I should just take it to someone who knows what they're doing and pay the labour.

Thank you.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 08TWSport
Hey,

So I just replaced the two front speakers in my Fit and, although they sound leaps and bounds better than the factory speakers, I'm still looking for a bit more bass.

I ordered the speakers through Crutchfield and was very impressed with the service they provided and will most likely order the powered sub through them as well.

My only question is regarding installation. I'm completely new to car audio in every way, and although I know that a powered sub includes the amp, I'm not sure what is required in installing one. The "instructional video" on crutchfield does little more than advertise powered subs, so I didn't find it that helpful.

I remembered reading something about splicing into the wires on the rear speaker? Anyways, I was just curious as to if any of you could help me out with an explanation, or if I should just take it to someone who knows what they're doing and pay the labour.

Thank you.
Your new sub will come with its own instructions, but you may have to figure out some things for yourself. Like whether you should use RCA jacks from the head unit for sound input to the sub, or use line level input from a speaker wire. You will need to run heavy gauge power wire from the battery, through the firewall, and run that back to the sub. For someone in the installation business, the install should take less than an hour, but you will pay for a full hour anyway. If you PM members Injundon, and radareclipse, both of them install auto sound equipment professionally and can offer more specific advice. They will want to know the brand and model of sub you intend to buy, and can probably offer suggestions on what subs are worth their price. My next purchase will be an Infinity Bass Link powered sub, but there are 4 or 5 others that have been positively reviewed on these forums. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for your reply. I too was looking at the Bass Link, looks to be just about what I'm looking for. I'm thinking I'm just going to go to a place that can install it for it me. I plan on getting tint done sometime next week, so I'll probably do it all at once.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 08TWSport
Thanks for your reply. I too was looking at the Bass Link, looks to be just about what I'm looking for. I'm thinking I'm just going to go to a place that can install it for it me. I plan on getting tint done sometime next week, so I'll probably do it all at once.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated!
Good luck with the sub. Paying someone else is certainly easier than worrying about doing it yourself, but on the other hand, Injundon is a fellow Canuck and has been very helpful with his advice, and radareclipse is almost a Canuck (he's in New York). Doing it yourself with Pro advice could save you the cost of your tint job. Gotta trust Canadian stereo pros.

Last edited by manxman; 06-29-2008 at 12:12 AM.