Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

09 Fit Sport, adding sub w/stock H/U

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
09 Fit Sport, adding sub w/stock H/U

Howdy, so far I've seen a lot of good posts regarding installing sound systems, but I had a question: my friend says there should be some cables to the rear speakers I can use to install my amp/sub and all I'll have to do is run a power cable back... I'm someone who knows absolutely nothing about car audio other than sound comes out of the round black thing, so can someone give me an idea what he's talking about? He said "ask the forum guys before I do anything just in case", so here you go lol.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned
Visit crutchfield.com to find general install info. for "Powered Subwoofers". Most of the powered subs have "speaker level inputs" where you splice extension wires from one of your rear speakers to supply the sound to the sub.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks; appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
I took mine to a custom car audio shop yesterday and the owner thought it was a better idea to tap into the signal directly behind the head unit for the following reasons:

1. He said it may be possible that the front speakers may have more power and a more dynamic audio signal range being sent to them from the stock head unit. (Not sure if this is true)

2. If I replace my head unit, I just need to add RCA plugs and I will have the cleanest possible signal going out, without having to run new wires.
(I don't plan to, but may be a consideration for some)

3. From what he could tell, finding a path to run the signal wires behind the head unit seemed a lot easier than than feeding them through the various crevasses and wire boots/looms inside and around the rear door panels. (Door panels are simple to remove, it's fishing the wires through that's a pain)

4. If your amplifier does not have the ability to remove the amplification sent to your rear speakers (mine doesn't) and you replace your front speakers (they would be louder!) and you move the fader to the rear to compensate, you would be giving your sub even more pre-amplification. (For example, even with my amp gain at zero, and my bass all the way down, my sub is still producing bass. Granted many newer amps don't do this, but it is still a consideration for my install.)

BTW.....my JL12w3v2 POUNDS!

Last edited by reako; 12-21-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
@reako

so, did you have it tapped directly into the back of the HU? im thinking of getting an active subwoofer as well to go with the factory speakers

here: AVT Intelligent Car Multimedia \\ Products \\ Accessories

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eyepon
@reako

so, did you have it tapped directly into the back of the HU? im thinking of getting an active subwoofer as well to go with the factory speakers

here: AVT Intelligent Car Multimedia \\ Products \\ Accessories
The sub has nowhere to "directly" plug into on your stock HU, however my installer did splice into my front speaker signal wires behind the head unit.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Did you get a diagram of the radio by any chance? I'm trying to do the same and I am trying to save some time by getting the wire colors of the front speakers. I tried Honda already and it wasn't in the system yet. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s_herman2004sti
Did you get a diagram of the radio by any chance? I'm trying to do the same and I am trying to save some time by getting the wire colors of the front speakers. I tried Honda already and it wasn't in the system yet. Thanks for any help.
I don't have it, hopefully someone else around here can share this info.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Man you should ask your friend, I guess he knows how...

Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
all wire color codes are here.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...k-install.html

i put my speaker level input box behind the glove box.
ran all wires on the pass side.