3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I am retiring my unreliable 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
We've owned a few Honda's and I wonder if the Mexico Fit's just caught Honda and their dealers off guard. They probably weren't used to dealing with inferior build quality and teething issues.

Our '08 GD has literally only been to the dealer for recalls in the almost 200k miles and 10 years of use.

Now if I took my Lincoln into the dealer for the trunk lid falling off or the dash coming apart, I don't think they would even blink. They would handle it perfectly and they would keep me satisfied. Not because they are that much better than Honda, but the opposite. They are much, much more accustomed to needing to solve crazy quality issues.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rooster
it all depends on what you need kenchan. I traded the Fit for a 2016 Toyota Corolla. Sure, it doesn't have the utility or handling of the Fit, but it does have a GREAT build quality, a GREAT ride, gets within a couple mpgs of the Fit, and it cost less than the Fit. And the best thing of all? After almost 40k miles, it's never seen the dealer for anything. Not an issue at all. That was true of my wife's 2010 Camry as well. That thing has 125k and is still the least expensive car to maintain we've ever had. My brother has a 2010 Forester and it's been a great car for him. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
sounds great. the best cars are those that never have to see the dealer ever again once it leaves their lot. my GK had to see the dealer multiple times the first few months and it still has stupid issues pop up every other month or so. i feel silly buying a new car and dealing with used car problems from day one.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
2015 Fit LX owner here. I bought this car new for the fact it was cheap, I can get a manual transmission and it gets 40mpg. I purposely got the bare bones model for the simple fact of not having to deal with fancy gadgets messing up down the road.

No issues on fit and finish here. I have 128,500 miles on it and the only thing I've done to the car is change the oil and put one set of tires. I'm even on the original set of brakes, which will be replaced here shortly.

Reliable is an understatement.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Xjawgi
2015 Fit LX owner here. I bought this car new for the fact it was cheap, I can get a manual transmission and it gets 40mpg. I purposely got the bare bones model for the simple fact of not having to deal with fancy gadgets messing up down the road.

No issues on fit and finish here. I have 128,500 miles on it and the only thing I've done to the car is change the oil and put one set of tires. I'm even on the original set of brakes, which will be replaced here shortly.

Reliable is an understatement.
Same here, Just got my 2015 Fit LX last year and so far I haven't had any major issues. The only problem I've had so far is the fact that the place I got it from gave me terrible tires that had to get replaced quickly.

But for the OP I hope whatever you choose to drive next doesn't give you any problems.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Soon2015FitWillBeMine
After 3 short years I am forced to retire my 2015 Fit. I just bought the 2018 Accord EX and traded in the fit as a down payment.
I don't think it's uncommon for cars from the first year of a new generation to have issues and it seems like you've had more than your share. I'm not sure I'd characterize the car as "unreliable" though since you haven't had any driveability issues or been stranded or anything.

Hopefully your new Accord - which is also the first year of a new generation - will have fewer issues. Not sure why, but I've read reports that the Accord is not selling all that well and that dealers have a huge backlog of Accord inventory on their lots. I think there's a thread somewhere on the Accord forum about this. The 10th Generation - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Maybe nothing to do with the car itself, maybe just that SUVs are so much more popular than cars these days. Ford just announced that it's doing away with all but two models of cars - the Mustang and a new "crossover" called the Focus Active which will be introduced in 2019.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
When I was young (so many decades ago!) the conventional wisdom of my friends was that you never buy a car in the first year after a major redesign (and it's amazing how many people in today's newer generations - "must have shiny new object now!" - have never learned this). There will always be lots of problems which will take the manufacturer a year or more to work out. In addition with the GK Fit Honda built a new factory and hired new workers who had never assembled a car before. That would be strike 2 against the 2015 Fit. As much as I wanted to buy it I gave it a pass, and stayed with my old car until it had to be replaced and then bought the 2018 Fit and am very happy with it.

I like looking at this chart because the 2015 problems stand out distinctly:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Fit/

(If you click on the 2015 bar you can see the details.)

Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
It's too bad that I so dislike the cosmetic "refresh" on the '18. IMO "mid cycle refresh" seldom improves the appearance of a car, as it's usually just "change for the sake of change" at a minimum of expense.

That, and given that my '15 is only three years old, it's simply too soon for me to consider trading cars.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-27-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with you. I dislike the facelift.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda just released pricing for 19 Fits yesterday.

MSRP of $16190 to $21520..Plus $890 transport

Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by FlaCharlie
I don't think it's uncommon for cars from the first year of a new generation to have issues and it seems like you've had more than your share. I'm not sure I'd characterize the car as "unreliable" though since you haven't had any driveability issues or been stranded or anything.

Hopefully your new Accord - which is also the first year of a new generation - will have fewer issues. Not sure why, but I've read reports that the Accord is not selling all that well and that dealers have a huge backlog of Accord inventory on their lots. I think there's a thread somewhere on the Accord forum about this. The 10th Generation - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Maybe nothing to do with the car itself, maybe just that SUVs are so much more popular than cars these days. Ford just announced that it's doing away with all but two models of cars - the Mustang and a new "crossover" called the Focus Active which will be introduced in 2019.
Maybe I did use the wrong word and now that I think about it I think I want to think about the car as either untrustworthy or unpredictable.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
When I was young (so many decades ago!) the conventional wisdom of my friends was that you never buy a car in the first year after a major redesign (and it's amazing how many people in today's newer generations - "must have shiny new object now!" - have never learned this). There will always be lots of problems which will take the manufacturer a year or more to work out.
I've always agreed with this although I relaxed it a bit with the Japanese automakers a couple of times but now cars have so many electronics in them that I won't buy a first year mode from any automaker.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your 2018 Accord so let us know what you think of it. I've been thinking of getting one next year if I choose to replace my 2015 Civic. I want the 2.0T Sport with a 6MT.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda bought my 2015 EX 6MT back last week, had a clicking noise coming from the front left. 3 different dealerships, 2- ride and drives with Honda Field reps, replaced everything in the front end, still clicked. 45K miles total.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Howie_Feltersnatch
Honda bought my 2015 EX 6MT back last week, had a clicking noise coming from the front left. 3 different dealerships, 2- ride and drives with Honda Field reps, replaced everything in the front end, still clicked. 45K miles total.
Hope that worked out well for you in the end.

If I remember correctly, someone here discovered that Honda used the wrong length bolts on the motor mounts. Think the dealer even did a repair and stacked like 10 washers as a band aid. Do you recall if motor mounts were included in the repair attempts?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 PM
they only looked at drive line items.

I took delivery of a 2018 Fit EX and only paid the difference in sticker price.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Hope that worked out well for you in the end.

If I remember correctly, someone here discovered that Honda used the wrong length bolts on the motor mounts. Think the dealer even did a repair and stacked like 10 washers as a band aid. Do you recall if motor mounts were included in the repair attempts?

Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
No surprise. This is a mexican built Fit.
For quality, you have to buy Japanese.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
No surprise. This is a mexican built Fit.
For quality, you have to buy Japanese.
i completely agree.. even the UK built CTR is popping up with problems.

the j-built honda's i had in the past had absolutely ZERO issue.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
just a follow up to my (my wife actually) situation.. my wife decided she wants to keep the GK with pre-existing pos conditions cause she wants a care-free car.

new cars come with new concerns for her especially scratching and dinging the thing and curbing the wheels which to her is a deep concern. so im kinda stuck right now with the GK. im the owner of the car with only my name on the title so i can do watever i want with it, but i also dont want to stress her out so.. i did the bandaid repair on the flaking paint and now just waiting to see wat happens next.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
With the Fit being Honda's cheapest and entry level model, I think it's important to give the owner a high level of satisfaction because it's their first impression of the brand. It could mean getting future business for that person and their future family or someone saying, "Never going to buy another Honda..."
Personally, I have bought 2 fits in less than 10 years because I simply wanted a Honda Fit. BUT....

I don't know if the whole "entry level" vehicles concept isn't somewhat dying. The Dealerships don't particularly like selling a entry level vehicle, because the profit margins are tighter.

And if an "entry level" vehicle is too nice? It can actually steal sales away from bigger vehicle purchases on the showroom floor.

What I kind of see now, is more and more young people, purchasing maybe their first vehicle, will often buy a "newer" used vehicle, as opposed to a brand new, entry level product.

But coming full circle then, the same logic applies. I think you have to sell the Fit based on the vehicle it is, and there are a lot of plus's to a cheaper buy in, economical, versatile, fun to drive automobile.

I sometimes get frustrated at how little Honda promotes the Fit. It really survives nearly on reputation osmosis, created by reviews from outside sources, websites and forums like this. But if you watch most Honda commercials, you wouldn't even know they sold something called "Fit".

Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Personally, I have bought 2 fits in less than 10 years because I simply wanted a Honda Fit. BUT....

I don't know if the whole "entry level" vehicles concept isn't somewhat dying. The Dealerships don't particularly like selling a entry level vehicle, because the profit margins are tighter.

And if an "entry level" vehicle is too nice? It can actually steal sales away from bigger vehicle purchases on the showroom floor.

What I kind of see now, is more and more young people, purchasing maybe their first vehicle, will often buy a "newer" used vehicle, as opposed to a brand new, entry level product.

But coming full circle then, the same logic applies. I think you have to sell the Fit based on the vehicle it is, and there are a lot of plus's to a cheaper buy in, economical, versatile, fun to drive automobile.

I sometimes get frustrated at how little Honda promotes the Fit. It really survives nearly on reputation osmosis, created by reviews from outside sources, websites and forums like this. But if you watch most Honda commercials, you wouldn't even know they sold something called "Fit".
Yup. My local dealer says they sell a lot of Fits, and the number of Fits I see around the area confirms this. All this despite Honda marketing's treatment of the car as the "red headed stepchild" of the Honda line-up.

Imagine how many Fits Honda could sell if they actually tried.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
honda only sold 4520 units in Mar which is less than the Fiest so no, that is not a lot.

ure just seeing the same cars going around in circles. lol

Quick Reply: I am retiring my unreliable 2015 Fit