So, just how fun is the Fit to drive? - Page 4 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetydosa View Post
So I got the kit but found out the other day there are separate part #s for AT vs MT. I have a MT but ordered the AT, so I returned it and am waiting for it to come back in.

Did you do the install yourself or had it done? Curious as to install difficulty, tools needed etc.
I brought the dealer the best price I found for the suspension from the internet and they matched it and the dealer installed it.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulPlayer View Post
Did you drive the car extensively before the HPF suspension bits were installed? If so, how big a difference did it make regarding:
  1. Ride quality/comfort
  2. Steering responsiveness
  3. Overall fun-to-drive level
One of the things that makes me hesitant with the HFP suspension is the lack of assurance that the Hpf dampers would be offered separately in the future for when the original ones wear out.
I had the car for at least 2 or 3 weeks before the HFP suspension was installed. No question that steering response, turn in and fun to drive factor were significantly improved. Also no question that ride quality was stiffer, but its not a lot different. Some people might not like it, but I do. Its like the car is on its toes and ready. I have used it as my daily driver all winter.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKVT View Post
I had the car for at least 2 or 3 weeks before the HFP suspension was installed. No question that steering response, turn in and fun to drive factor were significantly improved. Also no question that ride quality was stiffer, but its not a lot different. Some people might not like it, but I do. Its like the car is on its toes and ready. I have used it as my daily driver all winter.
Thanks for your impressions. When I purchased my 2018 Sport in Feb, I had intended to equip it with the HFP suspension but have been driving it stock since then and appreciate the ride quality. I might not be willing to give it up to gain the improved, playful handling response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Most people plan on having a vehicle long enough to wear out dampers, but the reality is that few do. In the rare instance you wear them out AND replacements aren't available, can always just go back to stock.
That's may be so, but I'm the guy that drove the same CRX Si for 27 years...

The reason for my hesitation re: the HFP dampers (beyond ride quality) is because they seem to be available only with the HFP springs as a set, not separately. I admit I haven't spoken to my dealer about it, but that's how they show up online. When I asked Honda Performance Division, Inc., they asked me to refer to the local dealer.

You're right that I can simply go back to stock...but it sure would be reassuring if the dampers were known to be easily available separately from dealers.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

if ure planning to keep the car over 10yrs doubtful they will carry the parts that long. service part contracts usually end by then.

but are there aftermarket dampers that you can use? id search those
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
if ure planning to keep the car over 10yrs doubtful they will carry the parts that long. service part contracts usually end by then. but are there aftermarket dampers that you can use? id search those
I know there are varying opinions to suspension tuning and aftermarket damper tuning/performance...and what constitutes "performance" in a street suspension...but I'm of the opinion that the damper has to be carefully matched to the spring, both in rebound and compression as well as all piston speeds to achieve good performance AND ride quality...and not just the illusion of performance from a firmer, more busy ride that sometimes can result in less grip (even though the car may be more responsive) because the suspension no longer tracks bumps as well...not to mention reduced comfort. Dampers play a huge role in this. Again, just an opinion.

Yes, aftermarket dampers would be likely available as you suggest, but it would be a slim chance that any aftermarket damper would match the higher HFP spring rates in the same way that HPD engineers intended. Even commonly available adjustable dampers, if available, are a guess.

MKVT, did your dealer realign your wheels after installing your HFP bits? Did they change the alignment specs? Also, do you know if they kept the bump stops the original length?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up Did my first HPDE with the fit this weekend

I find the fit to be pretty sporty, and I'm coming from a Corvette Z06. As previously stated, it's fun to drive a slow car fast. I was in the "Student" group since I didn't have any U.S. HPDE events to validate, but it was my second time on a track (my first was 10 laps in V8 supercars in Australia). So, I was out at Spring Mountain in Pahrump. Stock 2017 Fit with just a short ram intake and HKS over the axle exhaust. All stock suspension and tires. I ran a 3:27 on a 3.4 mile track with 15 turns, my instructor ran a 3:06 in his NSX (with me shotgun). I love to row gears, I really like how the fit handles. Best part of the day? I lapped a Hellcat, 911, and caught up with a Stingray in my "Student" group. When passing the hellcat, my instructor said "you realize you're passing a 700 hp car right now in a fit?" Yeah, pretty sporty, lol. That was the baseline event. I will be running again in Sept, with Koni STRT and H&R springs plus Enkei RPF1s and 205/50/15 r-compound tires. Cheers, d'Art
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member

Think any of these HFP bits would fit a GE?
Wish I had invested in lighter tires - think I would be a lot happier. I had other goals with the tires and didn't even look at it.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 AM

2015 FIT EX 6-spd. Had it for 60K. Had TEIN coilovers, multiple different wheels/tires, 17" and 18", custom exhaust, etc... I wouldn't consider the FIT sporty or fun to drive compared to other cars similar in size. The coilovers and wheels/tires help tremendously but I think of the FIT as more of a commuter car. I think the Civic is much more of a sporty car in terms of driving feel.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Matching spring rate to damping can make a big difference, but for a street car with pretty soft springs and shocks from the factory, even somewhat mismatched aftermarket parts can still be significantly better than stock for sporty/fun driving. Bump compliance isn't the only thing to consider, probably the biggest thing for me was reduced body roll. Reduced dive under braking is another benefit.

How much does changing to lighter or heavier wheels and tires change the ideal damping rate? Going to a larger diameter wheel can increase the effective spring rate of the tire sidewall, if the suspension was ideal before, now it's too stiff.

Not saying anyone should be trying to change springs/damper rate every time they change to a different tire (although you probably would for a race car)- rather, that for a street car it doesn't need to be perfect. Remember too, that despite having all the resources of Honda, the factory engineers are working towards a compromise solution. The finished product is what they think will work best for most people in most weather, on the most common type of roads, with the most common types of tires.

On top of that, some cars and many bikes have adjustable shocks. The bikes commonly have preload adjustment for the springs, but it's not the same as changing the spring rate. This tells me there for any given spring, there is no absolutely perfect damping rate. It changes based on conditions and user preference.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member

Agree with the above completely!

I've even had a poor mismatch by accident and it still improved the cars autocross times just because it was lower and stiffer.

I've also had plenty of cars from the factory that weren't well matched. Especially ones with adjustable suspension settings. Did the factory pick the spring rates based on the sport, normal, or comfort settings? My current car is over dampened when in sport mode.

It's a science, but it's far from perfect even in OEM form. They generally aren't hard to improve with aftermarket parts. OEM stuff, especially at the price point of the Fit, is based more on cost to manufacture than anything else.