So, just how fun is the Fit to drive? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So, just how fun is the Fit to drive?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Cool So, just how fun is the Fit to drive?

The only three cars I've ever owned are a Mazda B25 pickup, a 2004 Honda CRV, and currently, a 2009 Ford Ranger. I have never owned a "sporty" car, and I'm curious if the 2018 Honda Fit will feel "sporty" to me. I'll definitely be getting the manual transmission. What do you like or dislike about the feel of driving a Fit? Thanks in advance! I've been digging through this forum for a few weeks now, and I love how much great information is here! Looking forward to dropping a down payment in the next year and hopefully becoming a part of the club.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Foothills of the Smokies, east Tennessee
Posts: 607
I'd imagine that, based on your previous vehicles, that a manual trans Fit will feel "sporty".....although the gearing ratios for 4th, 5th, and 6th are oddly similar....LOL ....works when I'm out in the mountains, but not a hwy cruiser. Steering is light, clutch is silly light, but, it's great fun for my needs. Progress RSB helps with handling feel, worth the $$$ and super easy install.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Thanks for the reply, Fuelish! That's what I've been hoping. I won't mind if it's a slow car, as long as it doesn't *feel* slow to me, if that makes sense. Lol. Of course, I'll test drive one in the future, but that's just a little ways away and, of course, I'm impatient af. Do you find that the bite point on the clutch is vague, even after owning one for a while? Or does it become easy to find and shift smoothly? Yeah, I've read some really good things about the Progress rear sway bar on here. After a while of driving it stock, I'll put one on so that I can really feel the difference. Most of my driving is highway, with some windy country roads and some city driving in the mix. I think I'll have a blast in a Fit, and really just can't wait to test one out. I may go to the dealership to test drive one with zero intentions of actually getting one that day lol buuuuut that feels dirty for whatever reason. I don't wanna waste a salesman's time over a joy ride lol
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM
GAFIT's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cleveland, GA
Posts: 2,867
Originally Posted by drooski View Post
Most of my driving is highway
Make sure you test drive it on the highway. Generally speaking, short wheel base, light weight, and high side profile is not a great combination for highway use.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,219
I love driving my manual transmission Fit. Steering is crisp, and the car tracks well. The close ratios of the top three gears really come into their own when you are driving briskly on the hilly winding roads that abound around here. The engine has a lot of spunk for only 1.5 liters and the car really is a blast to drive. Then again, what do I know?

Thatís what I really like about the Fit. It loads like a truck and drives like a sports car.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by GAFIT View Post
Make sure you test drive it on the highway. Generally speaking, short wheel base, light weight, and high side profile is not a great combination for highway use.
That's really solid advice, and I will definitely do that.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Your reply makes my soul feel good, lol. Thanks, Uncle Gary. I think it's gonna feel like a sports car to me, having almost always driven small trucks.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 28
2018 Fit Sport Manual here. Purchased 2 weeks ago. This thing drives sporty and zips around well in the city. Drives just fine and stable at 80 mph provided there's no wind. It really does shimmy side to side at freeway speeds with strong side winds.. I am hoping my Swift Springs (ordered) will solve that along with a Progress rear sway bar (ordered). Added the Acuity shifter cable bushing for a much more positive and mechanical feel...ridding the vagueness of the stock rubber bushings. I alternate between this car and my 2013 Civic Si. Really recommend this car for the price and the fuel savings you will get. I think after my suspension mods will really turn this car into a great little handler.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM
mike410b's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (12)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,945
The Fit isn't sporty. I just test drove a 2018 Sport 6MT earlier today as I'm considering getting rid of my 2012 Fit Sport 5MT.

It was fine. The 2012 is fine. The 2008 was fine.

But as someone who owns a sports car, the Fit isn't anything to write home about.

(And before anyone declares I hate Fits, I've been a member of this site in some form for a decade & 15k posts at this point, have owned multiple Fits, talked family & friends into them, etc., AND the 2018 is still in the running for my next car)
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVAnistan
Posts: 1,926
Since you come from driving pickups, you won't mind that feeling of the solid rear axle as you hit bumps lol

It's not particularly quick, but it fun to toss into a corner.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 PM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
I love driving my manual transmission Fit. Steering is crisp, and the car tracks well. The close ratios of the top three gears really come into their own when you are driving briskly on the hilly winding roads that abound around here. The engine has a lot of spunk for only 1.5 liters and the car really is a blast to drive. Then again, what do I know?
I feel the same way. My 2018 Sport with the manual is a blast to drive and feels light on its feet. You're right about the close ratios as well and while there is hate for the 6th gear ratio, those who want an overdrive are not thinking about how slow that would make the car. The ratios are optimized to keep the engine in its powerband. 6th is perfect because you can accelerate without dropping a gear or drop a gear and really accelerate if you need to.

Originally Posted by mike410b View Post
The Fit isn't sporty. I just test drove a 2018 Sport 6MT earlier today as I'm considering getting rid of my 2012 Fit Sport 5MT.

It was fine. The 2012 is fine. The 2008 was fine.

But as someone who owns a sports car, the Fit isn't anything to write home about.
You're right, the Fit isn't a sports car. Nothing is and I'm including cars like the GTI, WRX, 340i on that list.

But it's all relative and I think the Fit will feel pretty sporty to the OP since he is coming from small trucks.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 PM
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 18
Yeah it's pretty fun in corners but as others have said it's no speed demon. Before you make any decisions test it out on the highway, specifically merging into highway traffic is kind of interesting in this car.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:25 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by freak4afit View Post
2018 Fit Sport Manual here. Purchased 2 weeks ago. This thing drives sporty and zips around well in the city. Drives just fine and stable at 80 mph provided there's no wind. It really does shimmy side to side at freeway speeds with strong side winds.. I am hoping my Swift Springs (ordered) will solve that along with a Progress rear sway bar (ordered). Added the Acuity shifter cable bushing for a much more positive and mechanical feel...ridding the vagueness of the stock rubber bushings. I alternate between this car and my 2013 Civic Si. Really recommend this car for the price and the fuel savings you will get. I think after my suspension mods will really turn this car into a great little handler.
I'm suddenly very curious about how much of a difference the acuity bushings will make. I've already been pre-planning to put in a buddy club short throw shifter, but I like the sound of those bushings. I don't mind the throw length as much as I want it to feel mechanically satisfying.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by mike410b View Post
The Fit isn't sporty. I just test drove a 2018 Sport 6MT earlier today as I'm considering getting rid of my 2012 Fit Sport 5MT.

It was fine. The 2012 is fine. The 2008 was fine.

But as someone who owns a sports car, the Fit isn't anything to write home about.

(And before anyone declares I hate Fits, I've been a member of this site in some form for a decade & 15k posts at this point, have owned multiple Fits, talked family & friends into them, etc., AND the 2018 is still in the running for my next car)
I'm acutally honored that you replied to this. Lol. I've seen you all over this forum and have learned a lot from what you add to the discussions. I don't expect the Fit to be anything like a sports car, but also, I've never driven anything remotely like a sports car. I've pretty much always driven small pickups, and I think coming from that, the Fit will feel very "sporty" to me. I'm glad that you had such a positive reaction to the 2018. I'm super stoked about it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2018, 08:43 AM
mike410b's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (12)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,945
Originally Posted by RealMTL View Post
Yeah it's pretty fun in corners but as others have said it's no speed demon. Before you make any decisions test it out on the highway, specifically merging into highway traffic is kind of interesting in this car.
What do you mean its interesting? Fits are slow by modern standards but faster than sports cars of the 80s...the road system was designed with old cars in mind, because it is old, nothing sold today is incapable of handling onramps.

Originally Posted by drooski View Post
I'm acutally honored that you replied to this. Lol. I've seen you all over this forum and have learned a lot from what you add to the discussions. I don't expect the Fit to be anything like a sports car, but also, I've never driven anything remotely like a sports car. I've pretty much always driven small pickups, and I think coming from that, the Fit will feel very "sporty" to me. I'm glad that you had such a positive reaction to the 2018. I'm super stoked about it.
Lol, I'm just a dork who still uses forums. My thinking is, drive the Fit BUT also drive the Civic, you can get a Civic LX for almost the same money as a Fit. Both are very good cars and both are good choices, but you never know, one may just 'feel' right.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 72
"Its fun driving a slow car fast."

I think its "sporty" up to 7/10 or 8/10th of its cornering limit. As someone as mentioned, steering is accurate, the shifter is fun and the car is very tossable.

To enhance the sportiness, do get the Progress sway bar and change the exhaust.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by drooski View Post
I'm suddenly very curious about how much of a difference the acuity bushings will make. I've already been pre-planning to put in a buddy club short throw shifter, but I like the sound of those bushings. I don't mind the throw length as much as I want it to feel mechanically satisfying.
They really are a must do mod,,,so much more satisfying to row through the gears now.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,017
This might be useful advice: I have actually gone from a 2004 MT CRV to the Fit. I love a lot about the Fit and yes one requirement was it be fun to drive. Sporty, sure; fast, no. And yet I do not feel it is any slower than the CRV, and it is far more fun to drive quickly.

I miss one or two things: Ground clearance, primarily, though losing AWD is no big deal. Roof rails. While the Fit can't carry as much cargo as a CRV, there is a huge amount of room with the seats down and more than many other small SUVs. My fit is a 2012 but the newer cars are not substantially different - just small improvements across the board.

Any modern car can make it up an off ramp safely, just don't be a fool who waits until the end of the ramp to accelerate. Cruising at speed is more of the issue: plenty of power to maintain speed, but the low weight means the car moves around more than some. Acceptable but not relaxing.

Hope that helps. 😊
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 AM
GAFIT's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cleveland, GA
Posts: 2,867
Originally Posted by fujisawa View Post
the low weight means the car moves around more than some. Acceptable but not relaxing.
That was well said and how I feel as well. For reference, our Golf is almost the same dimensions, but weighs 500 lbs more than our Fit. It is relaxing on the Interstate. Our Fit, and most Honda's in general, aren't relaxing on the Interstate. They are efficient primarily due to their light weight.

That light weight also adds to the "sporty" feel and handling ability so it's kind of a trade off.

I owned a 2000 Ranger 4.0 4x4 and it was much more relaxing on the highway than any Honda I've owned, but is sure didn't handle as well or feel as "sporty."

Given what the OP has said, I think they will enjoy the Fit. Probably time to mix things up a bit. 5 years later they may go back to truck life, but I think they will enjoy the Fit.

Sound advice to also test drive a Civic.
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 AM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Joshua, TX
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by mike410b View Post
Lol, I'm just a dork who still uses forums. My thinking is, drive the Fit BUT also drive the Civic, you can get a Civic LX for almost the same money as a Fit. Both are very good cars and both are good choices, but you never know, one may just 'feel' right.
I'm definitely gonna try out the Civic when I'm there. I mean, when in Rome, test drive all the things. Lol. I'm hoping and expecting to like the Fit more. Aesthetically, I like the Fit better, and I like the smallness of the Fit better. The Civic seems a little long. But, I may be floored by the Civic and take an LX home. Hopefully there's an equally cool forum for civics hahaha. I'd be surprised if there wasn't though .
 
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MysTiC27
3rd Generation (2015+)
3
11-03-2014 05:18 PM
luciusad2004
California - Bay Area Community
7
02-19-2014 06:14 PM
hogwylde
2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
7
03-31-2010 11:33 PM
txmatt
2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
2
06-11-2009 05:42 PM
Chikubi
Allegheny Community
4
04-12-2007 11:50 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread