3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Would you buy again?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Would you buy again?

So would all you guys knowing what you know now about the 3rd gen fit buy the current model year (18) after owning one for 1–3 years? All the kinks should theoretically be worked out by now in the Mexico Plant.

Would you buy the fit again today? Why or why not. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:27 PM
I have had no problems or defects with my 18, that said I would trade it in in a second if a turbo version was available as it would be even more fun with some extra hp.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no, do not want another GK.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by LDHR1
I have had no problems or defects with my 18, that said I would trade it in in a second if a turbo version was available as it would be even more fun with some extra hp.
Did you consider the hatchback at all before purchasing the 18?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Would I??? Sure....will I???? Dunno, the market will be different when I'm in the market for a car again, we run our cars into the ground (and have been mostly lucky in terms of repairs)

Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
I have owned 2 fits, in less than a decade. A 2010, and now a 2016.
If I was in the market ( I am not) but if I was looking at vehicles now, I would look at the Fit but also consider other choices. Mazda, VW, KIA, Hyundai.

With Ford supposedly ceasing their support of most their sedan/hatchback/sub-compact market in North America, choices in the Hatchback genre narrow.
In short, I'm not 100% sure I'd get another Fit. I would strongly consider it. But it would be one choice and I think I'd be forced to look at other options.

This last choice, I was considering a Mazda, but honestly, I dislike their interior, and the layout of their dash.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, absolutely. I would be tempted by a Fiesta ST, though, especially since new ones can be had for Fit money.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:16 PM
If was in the market for a subcompact today, absolutely. I don't think there's another car that has a better combination of space, performance, space, economy, space, reliability, space, and safety.

But I really bought our Fit so my wife can learn how to drive and chauffeur our newborns in a relatively inexpensive and safe car. So I doubt I (or, rather my wife) will be in the market for a Fit again. But so far, its been a fantastic experience.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I have owned 2 fits, in less than a decade. A 2010, and now a 2016.
If I was in the market ( I am not) but if I was looking at vehicles now, I would look at the Fit but also consider other choices. Mazda, VW, KIA, Hyundai.

With Ford supposedly ceasing their support of most their sedan/hatchback/sub-compact market in North America, choices in the Hatchback genre narrow.
In short, I'm not 100% sure I'd get another Fit. I would strongly consider it. But it would be one choice and I think I'd be forced to look at other options.

This last choice, I was considering a Mazda, but honestly, I dislike their interior, and the layout of their dash.
what don’t you like about the interior?

It’s generally accepted that their interiors are above the rest of the class. I have a 2017 mazda 3 GT manual and this is the car that I’m considering trading in for the fit.

I think mazda interiors are sharp (but cramped) and I do hate the piano gloss black plastic crap they put in there and the black trim they use everywhere scuffs and gets dirty so easily. My girlfriend thinks that opening the door with her foot is how doors should be opened. Scuffs galore down by the speaker and it annoys me. I’m always cleaning it as best I can after she is in the car.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
madza's interior has come along way since the protege5 days. anyway im not a big fan of their exterior design with all those wavey lines. im old skool and like the clean straight lines.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't driven anything newer than my '15 but if my car was totaled tomorrow I'd have to really think about it. Things change.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GettingFitted
So would all you guys knowing what you know now about the 3rd gen fit buy the current model year (18) after owning one for 1–3 years? All the kinks should theoretically be worked out by now in the Mexico Plant.

Would you buy the fit again today? Why or why not. Thanks!
Would I buy the Fit again today? NOPE!

I'd buy the Civic HB Sport. It's a larger vehicle, so inherently safer in crash tests. It has more HP/Torque with a turbo and aftermarket support. It has better suspension so rides smoother. It can carry nearly as much as the Fit, without being that much larger. Oh and it gets about as much MPG.

The Fit has done well with it's commuter duties. When I purchased it back in 3/2015 the new Civic hadn't come out yet. My fiance's car at the time was falling apart and didn't want to sink any money into it. If I could have waited till the new Civic I would have.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GettingFitted

what don’t you like about the interior?
Mazda is not the only automaker to adopt this, but I really don't like the iPad stuck in the dash look.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
2Rismo you make an excellent point, especially around safety. Just to play devil's advocate though, the Fit has a more usefully boxy cargo area with the seats down, the front seats are more comfortable (I have sat in both; everybody's body is different of course), and it's substantially cheaper. For a young person a new Civic may simply be out of reach from a "where do I draw the line" on price perspective.

Where it the GK Fit made now? I heard of a switch to Japan production from Mexico; but I don't really believe that purely on the basis of unit economics. Honda never made money on the GE Fit because it was made in Japan; Japanese and German labor costs are among the highest in the world.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Let's pretend the devil's advocate stayed up too late watching car videos on youtube and wants feedback on whether he should track down
to impress his 3-year-old daughter who loves fast cars already:

Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
2Rismo you make an excellent point, especially around safety. Just to play devil's advocate though, the Fit has a more usefully boxy cargo area with the seats down, the front seats are more comfortable (I have sat in both; everybody's body is different of course), and it's substantially cheaper. For a young person a new Civic may simply be out of reach from a "where do I draw the line" on price perspective.

Where it the GK Fit made now? I heard of a switch to Japan production from Mexico; but I don't really believe that purely on the basis of unit economics. Honda never made money on the GE Fit because it was made in Japan; Japanese and German labor costs are among the highest in the world.
I was surprised with how comfortable the GK's seats are! On my 2004 4Runner, I've always used one of those memory foam cushion deals on long road trips. I've gone on long road trips with my GK and the first time I forgot the cushion. I was cursing but turned out I was just fine without it! I haven't sat or driven the new Civic so I can't comment on its seat.

I agree with the load capacity of the Fit. I recently had a work trip that at the last minute we had to bring back some equipment. Guess who's car was able to carry large boxy equipment the best!! I've even carried pallets from work back home for some projects

As I understand it, the GKs are being built back in Mexico. For a time, the EX/LX were being built in Japan. EX-Ls have always been built in Mexico.

As far as cost, if financing or leasing the difference per month isn't much. Civic HB is 209, Civic Sedan is 189 and Fit LX is 149 a month lease for example

Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Yes. When they come out with beige interior seats. And I hope it comes out with one that is about two inches longer for my 6 foot 3 size. Looking towards the year 2020 for this to happen I hope. If not, I’ll look at the civics or the Mazdas

Last edited by SR14626; 05-12-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
I spent the better part of the day driving my friend's Civic LX hatch. The 175 hp is terrific, but the height and airiness of my Fit wins the day. It's a great car, but I wouldn't trade my Fit for it.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Now that the Fit is back in Mexico I haven't found any issues with my 2018 and I'm satisfied that the fit and finish problems going back to 2015 are no longer a big issue. If I was to lose my car in an accident I would probably go out and buy another one.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
I like the Fit alot. I love it size. How maneuverable it is. It sips gas. It's really fun to drive...

Not sure I'd do another one. Why? This will bring out the haters. I've owned a manual transmission car since 1984. I really don't like the transmission on the Fit. Gear ratios are just too close together, and 4k rpm at 75mph wears on me.

Bring on the hate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy again?