3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015-2016 Fit VTC Actuator and Timing Chain Honda Goodwill Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raynist
does anyone have a link to the service bulletin?
I know this thread has been kinda dead but here's a TSB link:

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...118695/A16-088

Old 07-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Thanks

i got rid of the car but it may help others.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raynist
Thanks

i got rid of the car but it may help others.
good plan lol.. but im stuck with da GK for another yr minimum it looks like..

Old 07-25-2018, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Well, for people who got it replaced before the new version was available, yeah, pretty good bet it will come back.
must be nice.. dis thread just reminded me y i didnt want another honda.. i hope dis is not da case on the 10th gen civic Si engines too.. right now looking for a car for my kids to use.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
I know this thread has been kinda dead but here's a TSB link:

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...118695/A16-088
Thanks for the TSB.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is just starting to demonstrate this symptom.
But man, looking at that TSB doesn't make me feel good about having the work done. Looks like a very complicated replacement procedure, that if not done correctly could really make a lot of things worse.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
yep. thus ive not gotten this done as there is absolutely no guarantee it will not do this again. as long as you know the rattle is normal on this car its fine, you'll ive with it. i have the past 2+ yrs.

do u remember the GE's spring replacement recall? when dealer did it on my 09 GE, came home with a broken car.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
do you know if the car was pulling up a code ? also , the timing chain being stretched is curious , one of the reasons i don't like bringing
my car to the dealer , somehow they seem to always find stuff that needs replacing . least that's been my experience

Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Hello,

I get this loud rattle when I start my car but only on the first start. When I called a Honda dealership a few years ago I was told by their tech that my Accord had a defective part, I believe the actuator is what he said, and that I didn't have to replace the part. The tech stated the defective part would not impact the long term health of my engine. I was a low on money so I didn't bother following up. The vehicle continues to run fine but when I was googling the issue the other day someone else stated the problem could cause an engine failure.

I took the Accord to a local mechanic, not Honda, and he didn't see anything wrong with the starter or actuator but I'm not sure if he really looked. Also, he may have had a problem duplicating the sound since it wasn't a cold start.

I really need advice and I'm low on money. Do I need to replace the Actuator or was the first Honda tech correct?

Thank you!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
If this only happens during a cold start like the video below then it is definitely the vtc actuator. Many people on the forums say it's just an annoyance issue. Replace if you don't like the sound.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HtownDAD
Hello, I get this lou2d rattle when I start my car but only on the first start. When I called a Honda dealership a few years ago I was told by their tech that my Accord ........
You're posting in the wrong place. This is a Honda Fit forum. You should be asking your questions in a Honda Accord forum.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 PM
VTC actuator startup noise in 2017 Fits, too!

A couple months ago my 2017 Fit, with 50k miles, began occasionally making the gravelly grinding noise at startup after sitting overnight. This was late summer & early fall. I did the research and found the symptoms matched the vtc actuator issue of 2015 & 16 fits, but mine was a '17, and I didn't find any reports of problems for 2017's. When it started doing it more consistently I took it to dealer and after sitting there two nights they heard the noise, diagnosed the faulty vtc actuator and replaced it with the new part under the 5yr/60k mi. drivetrain. I knew the re-designed actuator had been put into use in Feb 2017 so I asked some questions. Did my engine originally have the older design actuator? Yes, it did. When was my 2017 fit built? Dec. 2016 (and engine slightly earlier). So problem caused by the original actuator design can occur in 2017 Fits.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for sharing 73honda350!

that is rather sad news, but good to know for those who need that info

Old 11-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Hey 73Honda350: I had a 1973 Honda 350 Four (motorcycle) in Candy Bacchus Olive. Wonderful MC.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
I posted about this issue back in 2016. My 2015 GK started making the VTC rattle at about 25K miles, but only when it was very cold, that is, below 20 degrees. I took it to the dealer, but the mechanic could not reproduce the sound. I had him listen to a recording I had made of the noise, but he said he couldn't do anything unless he could personally document the noise. I took it in a while later for another issue and talked to the service manager, and he discouraged me from leaving it overnight since it wouldn't make the noise reliably. So I decided to live with it. I moved mid 2017 to the Oregon coast where the temps are typically around 55 degrees. In about mid 2018, the symptom began to occur about every third start. It has gotten progressively worse until now it happens on every start if the car has been sitting longer than a couple of hours. In the morning, it's _really loud_, enough to scare my wife every time. I worry that the engine will fail soon, given how the sound has progressed. The post that mentioned a stretched timing chain made me even more worried. I've read through the procedure for replacing the VTC tensioner, and I'm concerned that if I have the job done, it be done by a truly competent mechanic. It will take a careful mechanic to do the job well. My plan is to take the car in for evaluation, and if the Honda dealer can confirm the VTC tensioner is the issue, I will make my case with Honda that the car has had the problem from early on and is presently so consistent that the car cannot be sold and may be in danger of catastrophic failure. Maybe they'll do something for me, even though the car now has 95K miles on it. It's been a great car, and I would love to see it go another 100K, minimum.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Take it to a Honda dealership. It should be repaired at no cost to you. Hopefully the original dealership documented your original reporting of the problem (their brushing you off on the problem is inexcusable). If t was originally reported under warranty they should be under the hook to still fix it, even if the warranty has expired. It is covered under the 5 year powertrain warranty, if that is still in effect, but shouldn't matter IF the original dealership documented the problem.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
I hope you are right. The dealer who tried to document the problem when the car was under warranty did document my complaint, but since the dealership mechanic could not reproduce it, it's hard to know how much weight the report will carry. I do have an audio recording of the noise from that time.
I plan to take it in this week and post about the outcome. I should have taken it in early this summer. We bought it in mid 2014, so it has just gone past the 5-year mark. When you have to work a regular job, it's hard to find the time to take the car in to have a non-fatal symptom diagnosed. Plus, the local Honda dealer charges $45 to diagnose a problem. But I need to get this looked at. It's certainly not getting better!

Old 01-20-2020, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
$45 bucks?! My dealer charges $110

Old 01-21-2020, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
That makes me feel better. No sarcasm intended. As they say, "It's good money if you can get it." Never been sure who "they" are. The car goes in Thursday, 1/23/2020 at 9 am.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I obtained dealer confirmation that a faulty VTC (variable valve timing control) is the cause of the rattle at start up that I have been experiencing since my Fit was quite new. The noise started when the car had been driven 8,700 miles in early of 2015, but at that time the noise only occurred in very cold weather (below 15 deg.) and only occasionally. The dealer was unable to duplicate the symptom in early March 2015 when I took it in. I do have a video recording the problem and showing the odometer reading 8,700 miles. The car has now been 96K miles, so it is out of warranty. The sound happens every morning now, and if ther car is parked for more than an hour, it happens again. It's bad. The dealer quoted $1,004 to repair the problem by installing a new VTC actuator.
Enough background. What do I do now? I am hoping Honda will pay for the repair based on my documentation that the problem existed early in the car's history. Who do I contact and how do I proceed?

Quick Reply: 2015-2016 Fit VTC Actuator and Timing Chain Honda Goodwill Replacement